Pre-Raid Gear

Definitely cool functionality, and I like their sorting algorithm, as well as the "playstyle customization" stuff in terms of "too poor for crafted items" and "too lazy for rep gear."

I have a little bit of philosophical hesitation about the "single-item optimization" that results from this. I think Blizz has tried very hard to steer people AWAY from the "one single BiS item at every progression level" and more towards equivalent options. Looking through leather stuff, at 333 and at 346 there are generally 3 or more equivalent caster items for each slot. Two are BoPs from instances plus one that's a BoE or a rep reward or something. The items have identical "core" statistics (iLevel, Stam, Int) but trade among the secondary statistics of haste, spirit, mastery, and crit. With reforging, the items can be made near-equilvalent even if you prefer one secondary over another. Anyhow, the point is the Cata, I think, tries to be the OPPOSITE of the Vanilla-wow-50-scholo-runs-for-your-tier-0.5-shoulders business. Single-item optimization takes a sort of narrowly focused approach to the game that isn't entirely necessary anymore.

Also, would be nice if there were a pre-heroic tool for the same thing ... e.g. optimized around iLevel 333 rather than 346. But I expect that there are relatively few laggards like me for whom such a tool is really necessary. And this is the RAID forum, after all, I suppose...

Back