Pre-Kara Holy Priest Gear Goals

faust

I am trying to figure out what gear I want to try to get for my priest so that I can be ready to contribute to Kara runs with him.

He is currently a herb/alchemist, and after some thought I am disinclined to power level him to be a tailor/alchemist (since I already have a tailor).

I restricted my list to items not found in heroics, since I plan to run heroics about the same time I start to run Kara (since I believe the requirements on the healer are about the same for both). I will run heroics with this priest, but for purposes of figuring out how I will initially gear up I put on this restriction.

Head:
Watcher's Cowl - Requires Revered with CE (almost there now)
Whitemend Hood - Longer term goal

Neck:
Natasha's Guardian Cord - Easily quested for
Karja's Medallion - An interesting alternative, also easy to quest for

Shoulder:
Hallowed Pauldrons - Really seems to be the best choice
Pauldrons of Sufferance - Seems to be the best alternative

Back:
White Remedy Cape - cheap to make... hope to get better
Lifegiving Cloak - Good choice if I feel like spending some serious gold
Cloak of Scintillating Auras - Very nice overall, drops off the first boss in Arc... at the very least good for a stam healing set

Chest:
Shroud of Spiritual Purity - If I can find it at the right price, this might be a solid choice
Watcher's Tunic - Questable chest piece, solid backup plan... might get both and use this for my stam set

Wrist: - Seems to be a weak spot
Bracers of Havok - Might have these crafted for me as a starter set
Veteran's Mooncloth Cuffs - Might just pvp for these, medium term though

Hand:
Gloves of Penitence - Just need a group to help me quest for it
Hallowed Handwraps - Would prefer these, but the first is easily gotten for a starter

Waist: - Looks to be another weak spot
Veteran's Mooncloth Belt - Looks like I might just have to pvp for this item
Akama's Sash - If I get this I can't get the Ashtongue staff

Legs:
Hallowed Trousers - Solid choice
Whitemend Pants - More expensive alternative, but along with the hood would make a terrific set.
Pants of the Naaru - Questable alternative, solid backup plan

Feet:
Curate's Boots - Solid choice, obtained after running SH
Jeweled Boots of Sanctification - Drops in SH, good for a stam set.
Veteran's Mooncloth Slippers - Another pvp option

Finger: - Don't see a lot of options, am I missing something?
Celestial Jewel Ring - Questable ring
Ring of Convalescence - Requires Revered with HH

Trinket:
Alchemist's Stone - Just need to farm the mats, but seems like a solid choice in some situations.
Lower City Prayerbook - Revered with Lower City, seems like a must get item
Scarab of Infinite Cycle - Solid choice
Bangle of Endless Blessings - Seems like an interesting mana regeneration set piece

Staff:
Serpentcrest Life - In my experience this drops fairly regularly in SV
Staff of the Ashtongue Deathsworn - This is my questable backup plan... but only if I can find a better healing belt than Akama's Sash.

Wand:
Soul-Wand of the Aldor - Drops fairly often in SL
Calming Spore Reed - Currently have this, should be a solid backup

Last edited:
If I were you I'd work on Shat'tar & CE rep till Exalted would be my main goals for healing.
The CE helm is great and at Exalted you can get an awesome off-hand +heal.
If you get Exalted with the Shat'tar you get a great mace which you won't find any better till Kara

WindCaller's Orb
Gavel of Pure Light

These are 2 of the best Pre-Kara and beyond pieces for a holy priest. For the wand you could easily go with Flawless Wand of Prophet, there on the AH constantly for 10g, gives +10 or greater Stamina & intell, along w/ +20 healing.

Lower City Rep can get you 2 trinkets, well actually 1 trinket but you can equip 2 of them, Lower City Prayer Book

Don't forget there are a lot of great items in Heroics as well. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the links and ideas, I got myself a solid main hand + off hand combo for my healing set now. I have also got a number of the items on my list.

I am thinking more and more that I might need to run some heroics and get some upgrades there before I am geared enough to run kara (since I am not a tailor, and the world drop healing items tend to run 1k+ gold).

I have a ways to go before I am geared enough to heal for a heroic, but I was wondering what I should shoot for as a start? Perhaps +1400-1500 healing and solid mana regen?

depends :) If you ahve a shadow priest in the party with you, you can get by with about 1250-1300 healing and moderate regen. I'm sitting ~1600 healing without consumables, and having a good shadow priest and 2 other CC makes instances a snoozer, including most pulls in heroic

If you don't have a shadow priest, i think what you suggested is a good starter point. Don't be afraid to try it if you're a few points low, though.

depends :) If you ahve a shadow priest in the party with you, you can get by with about 1250-1300 healing and moderate regen. I'm sitting ~1600 healing without consumables, and having a good shadow priest and 2 other CC makes instances a snoozer, including most pulls in heroic

If you don't have a shadow priest, i think what you suggested is a good starter point. Don't be afraid to try it if you're a few points low, though.

Thanks. :)

No matter what it looks like gearing up this priest is just going to take a while. So many rep grinds, so much gear to get. Being a tailor on my warlock definitely spoiled me, in the sense that it took far less time to get her geared up for end game stuff.

Still I am really enjoying running instances with y'all and getting the experience in these 5-mans is a good thing.

Healing is just a totally different ball game from dps or tanking, so it also makes these familiar instances almost feel new again.

Edit: Oh and thanks to everyone last night for helping me get my Kara key fragment from SL.

Back