Praising / Worshipping God

Genesis1315

Ladies
I would like to start looking into ways to worship God. I know of worshipping him with our voices and our financial offerings, but I am curious what else is there. I recently came accross Romans 12:1

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, I urge you to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God; this is your spiritual worship.

So we have been presented with another form of worship.

What else is there?

Praise Him with musical instruments.

PSALM 150

Praise ye the LORD, Praise God in his sanctuary: praise him in the firmament of his power.  
Praise him for his mighty acts; praise him according to his excellent greatness.
Praise him with the sound of the trumpet: praise him with the psaltery and harp
Praise him with the timbrel and dance: praise him with the stringed instruments and organs.
Praise him upon the loud cymbals: praise him upon the high sounding cymbals.
Let every thing that hath breathe praise the LORD.  Praise ye the LORD.

Clapping Our Hands
O clap your hands, all ye people; shout unto God with the voice of triumph.  Psalm 47:1

Delighting Ourselves in the LORD
Delight thyself also in the LORD; and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart.  Psalm 37:4

delight - 1. to be soft, be delicate, be dainty
               a.  (Pual) to be delicate
               b.  (Hithpael) to be of dainty habit, be pampered
                   1.  to be happy about,
                   2.  take exquisite delight
                   3.  to make merry over, make sport of

I added the definition, for while delight is what I have always thought that it would be, there is an added dimension that I have never seen.  Here is says delicate, in my hard copy, it says be soft, pliable.  That seems to fit with the following verses, too.

Then thou return to the Almighty, thou shalt be built up, thou shalt put away iniquity far from the tabernacles...
For then shalt thou have thy delight in the Almighty, and shalt lift up thy face unto God.   Job 22: 23 & 26

So (not to be legalistic, just curious) if we have talent with musical instruments or voice and are not maintaining our talents are we falling short of our duty in praising God?

ouch!! I had not thought about it! But Gen, I don't even have a clarinet anymore!
laugh.gif
I am not certain if the talent factor comes into play! Preacher is always reminding those that do not like to sing in church to join in with Him and if they, like him, do not have the talent of singing...

Make a joyful noise unto the LORD, all ye lands. Psalm 100:1

There are seven verses that speak of making a joyful noise. I think the shame is the musical talent that is used other than to praise Him. Studies have shown that music effects us emotionally and physically. I think God would tell us that it also effects our Spirit.

Have you ever been to a Bill Gothard Seminar? I highly recommend them, and one in which he comes in person as opposed to the taped sessions. At one point he will have the lights dimmed in order for everyone to see his chalk sketches and have the audience sing a cappella. There is nothing like hearing such a sea of voices. Heavenly!

The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I praise him. Psalm 28:7

Praise ye the LORD: for it is good to sing praises unto our God; for it is pleasant; and praise is comely. Psalm 147:1

Of course, we cannot forget dancing and shouting. I dont have verses, and my sons is clamboring for me to break his fast so I don't have the time to look them up at this moment.

biggrin.gif

Kidan, those bring up something that is on my heart, I must be honest, that troubles me.  Clapping, is in the dancing and shouting category for me.  I know the Bible says it in plain black and white, but for some reason, I think I have seen examples of it being abused, or used for seemingly show.  Therefore, it is really difficult for me.  As a child my mother took me to a church that was really wild, it still gives me the shivers until this day.  I think I must have been around 5 but the spirit I discerned was not a Godly one.  Perhaps that is one of the reasons it bothers me, yet, I understand that it is a way in which to worship that the enemy has kept me from because of bad experiences, to the determent of my own Spirit.
That is my heart and I would appreciate your thoughts on the matter. In addition, Gen brought up a wonderful question. If we are not using our talents for praise are we in error? The verses about the talents come to mind here, but until she mentioned it, I had never really thought about it...not that I am as skilled as I could be on the clairnet!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]But Gen, I don't even have a clarinet anymore!

Don't worry, I don't have mine either. But, I was thinking about singing. I can carry a tune without a bucket
biggrin.gif
but I know that when I work at singing, my voice improves. So I figured that I needed to really practice singing to bring glory to God. I think it ties into my commitment this year. While I thought it was one thing, but it look like God has brought it to a whole different level.

Same here, I must be honest, I felt convicted when you asked that! It is a talent, while it needs practice, that I am not using. In addition, I was given a Classical guitar for Christmas, (ashamed to say it was last Christmas), it is not as easy as it looks, but I don't think the LORD provided it for me to keep in the corner for decoration! As for singing, I cannot make it through a day without a song and Scripture songs are my utmost favorite. Singing unto the LORD happens to be the easy thing for me.

Praise ye the LORD. Praise God in his sanctuary: praise him in the firmament of his power. Psalm 150:1

This verse has continued to come to me since you began this post, Gen. I think it ties in with a post SA started about having a relationship with God. How many times have I gotten busy with all things church, but failed in having a relationship that contains a heart full of praise? I think I need to keep my heart and mind on praising Him as I am singing in church, listening in church, praying in church...or whatever I do, where ever I may go. I think a way to praise Him is to have the discipline to keep my thoughts on Him, to the best of my ability, at all times. In addition, I am the sanctuary for the Holy Spirit through salvation, so I need to praise Him continually in my heart, and with all my being.

It is so easy to have a works relationship with God or a mental relationship with God, but that heart relationship takes work. But that is where we need worship from - the heart.

I haven't really looked closely at that verse before. Not only should He be in our hearts and minds at all times, but we should praise him at all times too. When the verse talks about his sanctuary could it refer to church and the firmament, any time outside of church (or in the world)?

I think so. At all times. Your saying that brought to mind that we should have a thankful heart, too. I think this ties in to praising and worshipping Him. You make an excellent point...I love you, Gen, you are always realistic and honest!...it is work.

In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you. I Thessalonians 5:18

Through trials, being thankful and full of praise is most difficult. Yet, I think if we are being thankful and trusting, we are worshipping Him.

Whoso offereth praise glorifieth me: and to him that ordereth his conversation aright will I shew the salvation of God. Psalm 50:23

Here is yet another verse involving music.

Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the LORD. Ephesians 5: 19

It came to me last night as I was reading this, not only is this a way to worship the LORD, it is also given for my benefit. When things seem darkest, if I will continue to praise Him, it fixes my heart on God, the One who will carry me through the storm, the One who protects me and knows what is best for me and has all the answers,...and not on my overwhelming problems. The difference is being carried through and protected in the storm...or being crashed about on the waves.

Some of the most beautiful hymns were written in times of great difficulty. Cyber Hymnal/Good Source for Hymns and the stories behind them.

This holds true for the Psalms, also. Granted, this verse just tells us to speak to ourselves in songs, and hymns, and Spiritual songs at all times, not just the storm.

The following verse says:

Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Thankful even in the storm.

He is able!
He is able!
I know He is able!
I know my Lord is able to carry me through!
He is able!
He is able!
I know He is able!
He heals the broken hearted!
He sets the captive free!
He makes the lame to walk again,
And he causes the blind to see!
He is able!
He is able!
I know He is able!

Praise the Lord
VERSE 1
When you’re up against a struggle
That shatters all your dreams
And your hopes have been cruelly crushed
By satan's manifested schemes
And you feel the urge within you
To submit to earthly fears
Don't let the faith you're standing in
Seem to disappear

CHORUS
Praise the Lord
He can work through those who praise Him
Praise the Lord
For our God inhabits praise
Praise the Lord
For the chains that seem to bind you
Serve only to remind you
They drop powerless behind you
When you praise Him

VERSE 2
Now Satan is a liar and he wants to make us think
That we are paupers
When he knows himself we're born again and we're kings
So lift up the mighty shield of faith
For the battle must be won
You know that Jesus Christ has risen
And the work's already done

REPEAT CHORUS

REPEAT CHORUS

TAG
Praise Him
Praise Him
Praise the Lord
©Imperials' album HEED THE CALL released on Dayspring (Word) 1979
Words and Music by Brown Bannister and Mike Hudson

Lyrics found at Benson Sound

But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him.
God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.
John 4: 23 & 24

I appredciate your starting this topic, Gen. It has been Spiritually healthy for me in questioning my worship. This verse not only speaks to me about the worship of my heart, but how often my Spirit truthfully focuses on Him. I am, with God's help, wanting to focus more on hourly praise and worship. Though I may not utter a sound...just learning to acknowledge Him and being certain that I do that all throughout the day, literally making Him a part of every moment.

Worship The Lord

Sing to the saviour the song of praise;
come, let us worship the Lord.
Trust in his might, walk in his light-come
let us worship, worship the Lord.
Great are his wonders, and grand his ways;
Come, let us worship the Lord.
Heavens proclaim Jesus shall reign;come, let us worship,worship the Lord

Chorus:

Let us worship the Lord,worship the Lord,come let us worship the Lord
Lift up your voice,sing and rejoice;come, let us worship ,worship the Lord.
Son of Jehovah, yet son of man; conquering Lion,yet suffering lamb.
Worship, worship, Come, let us worship the Lord forever.
Worship, worship, Come, let us worship the Lord!

Sing to the God of eternity; come, let us worship the Lord.
He is the King, Rise up and sing: come, let us worship, worship the Lord.
Sing to the victor of calvary; come, let us worship the Lord.
Honour the son; Jesus has won-come, let us worship the Lord....

Another way to worship is to present our bodies a living sacrifice.

I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your resonable service.
And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect will of God. Romans 12: 1&2

Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee, because he trusteth in thee. Isaiah 26:3

From Days of Praise:

February 9 - Pleasing God

"Wherefore we labor, that, whether present or absent, we may be accepted of Him" (II Corinthians 5:9).

Paul's great ambition was to please his Lord and Savior. In our text, the Greek for "accepted" often also is translated "well-pleasing," and this is the real meaning of the word. Since this also is the great desire of every sincere Christian, let us look at a few of those passages where the Lord tells us specifically how we can please Him.

Consider, for example: "But to do good and to communicate [i.e., to `share what you have with others'] forget not: for with such sacrifices God is well pleased" (Hebrews 13:16; see also Philippians 4:18).

There is a special admonition to children: "Children, obey your parents in all things: for this is well pleasing unto the Lord" (Colossians 3:20). For adults: "Thou therefore endure hardness, as a good soldier of Jesus Christ. No man that warreth entangleth himself with the affairs of this life; that he may please [same root word] Him who hath chosen him to be a soldier" (II Timothy 2:3-4).

The same word appears in Romans 12:1-2, translated twice as "acceptable." Paul urges us to present our bodies as living sacrifices, "holy, acceptable unto God," being "not conformed to this world," but transformed by a renewed mind, thereby to prove "that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God."

The common thread in these and other such passages is that, in order to be pleasing to the Lord, we must be good stewards of all our possessions and all our days, serving Him totally. "For he that in these things serveth Christ is acceptable [i.e., `well-pleasing'] to God" (Romans 14:18). This is our reasonable service, and it will be abundantly repaid if we hear Him say in that day: "Well done, thou good and faithful servant" (Matthew 25:21). HMM

Presenting out bodies as a sacrifice has been hard. I cannot imagine that God would want soda pop in His temple :)

It is interesting though...when God was laying out the rules for the Israelites, way back in the beginning of the Book, praise was even something that was important to Him.

Numbers 2:3 Judah's military divisions will camp on the east side toward the sunrise under their banner. The leader of the descendants of Judah is Nahshon son of Amminadab.

Judah (praise) would first greet the rising sun (or looking ahead Son)

Numbers 7:12 The one who presented his offering on the first day was Nahshon son of Amminadab from the tribe of Judah.

Judah (praise) was the first to present offerings after the tabernacle was completed

Numbers 10:14 The military divisions of the camp of Judah with their banner set out first, and Nahshon son of Amminadab was over Judah's divisions.

And even when they broke camp, Judah (praise) went out first.

It looks like another example of us leading our lives with praise to our Lord.

Even though I know that we are made to Praise God, I must admit, I did not realize how important is was until digging through this study

Gen

Whoso offereth praise glorifieth me: and to him that ordereth his conversation aright will I shew the salvation of God. Psalm 50:23

I have read this many times and know a little tune that goes with it...last night it really struck me in a different way. For my praise and worship I want to be certain each day that I praise Him in some way. Lately, thoughts of His goodness, kindness, protection, and love have overwhelmed me. I often think of people as "sweet." I have questioned myself if that is okay with God, the King of Kings, to give the same moniker. It is an understandment, but He truly is sweet, even His name! That is my worship for today...just ponedering...and thanking Him for His goodness.

This from ICR Days of Praise. Yet another confirmation that we were made to praise/worship/glorify Him.

"Even every one that is called by my name: for I have created him for my glory, I have formed him; yea, I have made him" (Isaiah 43:7).

There are three main verbs used to describe God's work of creation in Genesis. These are "create" (Hebrew, bara), "make" (asah), and "form" (yatsar). The three words are similar in meaning, but each with a slightly different emphasis. None of them, of course, can mean anything at all like "evolve," or "change," on their own accord.

All three are used in Genesis with reference to man. "And God said, Let us make man in our image. . . . So God created man in His own image. . . . And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground" (Genesis 1:26-27; 2:7).

Although the subject of creation is commonly associated with Genesis, it is mentioned even more frequently by the great prophet Isaiah. The words bara and yatsar are used twice as often in Isaiah as in any other Old Testament book and are applied uniquely to works of God. All three verbs are used together in Isaiah 45:18 in order to describe, adequately, God's purposeful work in preparing the earth for man: "For thus saith the Lord that created the heavens; God Himself that formed the earth and made it; He hath established it, He created it not in vain, He formed it to be inhabited: I am the Lord; and there is none else."

God created, formed, made, and established the earth, that it might be the home of men and women. But what was God's purpose for the people who would inhabit it? Our text answers this most fundamental of questions, and once again, all three key verbs are used: "I have created him . . . I have formed him, . . . I have made him . . . for my glory."

This Biblical perspective alone provides the greatest of all possible incentives to live a godly and useful life. The reason we were created is to glorify God! HMM

This is from the daily devotional of the Titus Man and Women. God is so easy on us! How many times have I wondered about His will? This tells us that His will is simply to give thanks! A thankful heart is a heart that is worshipping and praising Him.

Give Thanks

In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you. 1 Thessalonians 5:18

In this beautiful passage, we see several important things that are worthy of consideration. First, it is God's will that we give thanks, "in everything" whether good or bad. We need to be a thankful people. If you are searching out the will of God in the Bible, you might wish to begin here, and begin to give thanks for everything you can think of, but let us look closely at the five questions that are answered here:

In what? In everything;
Do what? Give thanks;
Why? It is the will of God;
In Whom? In Christ Jesus;
Concerning who? Concerning you.

Furthermore, the "This" that we are to give thanks for, whether a good thing or event, or a bad one, may be the will of God for us! If "this" refers to that which we are to thank Him for, then the verse says that it is the will of God that this thing should happen. If "this" means the giving of thanks, then we see that that too is God's will, that we be thankful. Either way, God is glorified.

We were created to worship him. I think that is why I feel it is so important to know all of the ways God has laid out for us to worship him. (plus, I really want to do it right)

This quote was originally posting in another forum (I asked the question and my dad provided the response) I was reading through it today when the weight of the sacrifice of praise fell on me and I was hit with how much our voluntary praise and worship of our Lord really means.

Question: In Psalms 22 it says that God inhabits the praise of His people. My question is why would God inhabit us more when we are praising Him than when we are praying to Him or any other time when we are focused on Him?

Response: We were/are created to tabernacle or to fellowship with the living God. When we praise God, we are fulfillling His purpose for our creation.

This is exactly why salvation is a choice. God wants those who willingly choose to serve Him and to fellowship with Him. Were this not to be the case, salvation would be according to a strict reading of Calvinism. However, when we willingly seek to be with the living God, our praise and worship of Him comes from the heart.

It is this praise that God inhabits and is the aroma of sweet smelling sacrifice.

Back