possibly unreasonable Hardware Suggestion request

Atown

Christian Gamers Alliance Amazon Store Manager
Staff member
Hey All,

So I am looking at building a new pc, first time in 5-6 years and I have weird requirements.

I am wanting a gaming machine of course, because starcraft 2 on low-med graphics is lame and my two graphics cards are over-heating even with awesome cooling (Geforce 7950 2x and a 8600 GT)

I am mostly already planning on buying a HIS graphic card because they are a christian/american company and preferably I would like a biostar motherboard also because they are american.

Here comes the twist:

I've been working OT and traveling more and I need to be able to Remote into this machine, which means I need to leave it on almost all the time.....

With my current machine that has added about $20-$35/mo to my electricity bill......... angst!

So that being said, is anyone familiar with doing a green setup that still can game or is there something I'm missing?

Don't know how to do it but I know there are Wake on Lan or Wake on Call settings you can set in the BIOS. Might even be Wake on Internet setting.

For remote access I use TeamViewer.

When you remote in, are you just doing light work on the computer like web browsing and file editing?

I would think it's the gaming that really chugs down the (electric) juice.

I'd recommend finding a power supply with a really good efficiency rating.

mostly ebay and blogging with an ocassional remote video edit.

Wolfmanne,

Does teamviewer activate wake on lan?

Ive been using teamviewer since logmein stopped being free and have liked it decently

Don't really know.

I'm sure you could walk around the TeamViewer forums or Google it to find out. I just know I disable any "Wake On" functions I find in BIOS.

Back