One more TV purchase thread

ursen

Officer SOE/LoE/Where's "here"?
I know Tek recently had a thread regarding this, but the market and technology rapidly change, and my specifications will be slightly different from his. I should be coming into enough money within the next week or so to pay for a new tv, here are the specs I am looking for and the situation it will be living in.
1. Must be long lived.
2. LCD edge lit LED is most likely type
3. Will be viewed across a small living room at about 5.5 foot lower edge height wall mounted, appx 8.5' away.
4. Ageing eyes dictate in the 40" range of size or greater.
5. Slight deafness on both parts, missing high frequencies on one, low frequencies on the other dictate better audio, home theater not an option.
6. Must hook up to a Roku player, and a DVD/VHS tape combo player.
7. Low ambient light for the most part, some viewing slightly off angle.
8. May have a Wii hooked up to it at a later date. No other gaming expected.
9. Ball park price $500-$600 US. Please do not say, "While you are at it just spend Xdollars more and spend 700+ dollars

It would be nice if it could be purchased from Amazon in CGAlliance store for a close approximate price to the best bargain price. We have few major brick and mortar stores where I am, so online purchase is most likely. Neither one of us is a techno geek, and I would love to keep it within the KISS principle.

Edit: Wifi is available if any bells and whistles want to be used as an after thought later.

Last edited:
I know Tek recently had a thread regarding this, but the market and technology rapidly change, and my specifications will be slightly different from his. I should be coming into enough money within the next week or so to pay for a new tv, here are the specs I am looking for and the situation it will be living in.
1. Must be long lived.
2. LCD edge lit LED is most likely type
3. Will be viewed across a small living room at about 5.5 foot lower edge height wall mounted, appx 8.5' away.
4. Ageing eyes dictate in the 40" range of size.
5. Slight deafness on both parts, missing high frequencies on one, low frequencies on the other dictate better audio, home theater not an option.
6. Must hook up to a Roku player, and a DVD/VHS tape combo player.
7. Low ambient light for the most part, some viewing slightly off angle.
8. May have a Wii hooked up to it at a later date. No other gaming expected.
9. Ball park price $500-$600 US. Please do not say, "While you are at it just spend Xdollars more and spend 700+ dollars

It would be nice if it could be purchased from Amazon in CGAlliance store for a close approximate price to the best bargain price. We have few major brick and mortar stores where I am, so online purchase is most likely. Neither one of us is a techno geek, and I would love to keep it within the KISS principle.

Edit: Wifi is available if any bells and whistles want to be used as an after thought later.

Do you have a Costco?

No Costco, and I have no Sam's membership, and I loathe Wal-Mart.
edit: We do have Sears who occasionally have killer deals on electronics. Right now they have a 50" stripped down plasma for just over $500.00 USD.

Last edited:
are you willing to wait for black friday? otherwise I'll get you an Amazon store link :D

Atown we currently only have a 12" CRT in the bedroom. Very hard for ageing eyes to see from the bed. I also need some pointers on what to buy, and why. If a plasma can be had for the same as a comperable LED I'll take it. My understanding is that a plasma is better for off angle viewing, please correct me if I am wrong.

edit: With a little finagaling we have figured out that the bottom edge may be as low as 4.5 feet off the floor. Weight is a consideration because it must be wall mounted.

Last edited:
right so 4.5 ft off the floor means it can only be 3.5 tall at most if you have a 8' ceiling.

what kind of weight is your wall mount ? or do you already have one?

Plasma is pretty old tech now days and LEDS are just fine at angle views :) - plasma burns in over time, e.g. if you have fox news on, that little ticker and clock will get burned in. Now there is a pixel cleaner on most tvs now but its worth the money to go LED.

Give me a little time and i'll see what I can come up with.

for a super immediate purchase:
http://www.amazon.com/LG-47LS4600-4...1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1348513442&sr=1-1 (dont purchase off this link I'll grab you an aStore link in a bit (at work on lunch))
LG is consistently one of the top rated brands for the last 5 years for tvs and amazons policies are great.

Your going to struggle with 50" at a decent price when we start looking at brands, quality and longevity. The best bet there is to watch places like slickdeals.net .

Looking at economics, even if you did wait for blackfriday, the odds of 50" and higher being super on sale are actually pretty slim because they can flood the market with 32-46" and make a killing but then still force people to pay a premium for a premium tv.

this one does have all the hook ups needed.

sound wise, your going to be stuck with tv speakers which are always sub-par depending. but I'm not sure how many times your going to watch independence day with your wife in bed at 2am and expecting full surround sound with vibrating room :)

edit: just saw ewoks link - that is definitely a very good deal. plasma has draw backs but depends what your wanting.

I am at least 5 days out from actually being able to order. I, like the VA, have an extended information gathering period. It is beginning to look like LED is it. And 40-42" is fine, we have a very small living room to put it in. I will get the wall mount at the same time as the tv in order to be sure I have the right mount. What we had was a very old back projection 50" HD hand me down that filled up a huge chunk of the living room. The problem being where to get rid of it. Oh well chuck it in da crick I guess.:p

edit: I was wondering about the LG brand, I only knew them for computer monitors.

Last edited:
Please don't buy electronics from Wal*Mart. I have good sources that tell me they can offer the lowest prices on items solely because they broker deals with manufacturers and intern they put lesser quality parts in them. Sure, you might get one that last forever, but the risk isn't worth it IMHO.

The problem with brand names on some electronics is that sometimes the brand is just bought, not manufactured by the brand. I do know that LG farms out their name.

TOJ Darkbot personal best friend worked for sears and found out about the serial number differences that wal-mart hows and how they broker those deals. its very true.

Certainly avoid walmart: the prices are lower because they coerce manufactures to use lesser quality components in models sold at walmart.

On the other hand you might need to consider buying a refurbished device or a floor model.

Visio is a solid brand for the cost.

http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-M470SV-47-Inch-HDTV-Internet/dp/B004ZL2LCA

Amazon ASIN:B004ZL2LCA

(I DESPISE affiliate URLs. This is the amazon ASIN with descriptive text.)

http://store.vizio.com/m470sv.html

With built in internet apps you might be able to sell- and replace your roku. (as roku tends to be low end, to phrase it politely).

If you have a not very old workstation consider installing XBMC (free) as your media center. A GBTV, The Blaze TV, plug-in is available to XBMC. I setup my parents with a Boxee Box, but use XBMC myself.

http://theblaze.com/tv

http://xbmc.org

Add: Sick Beard, SABNZBdplus, and a usenet account. (pay no more than 99 annually for uncapped/unlimited usenet with SSL. If you are not a large media consumer you can set a "block account", $22/200gigs is typically the break point). This is NOT piracy IFF you already license the programming you would be watching. Avoid wifi like the plague for HD video. [I am not soliciting a fanboi response.]

astraweb.com & usenet-news.net

If you do not have a "spare" workstation you can install XBMC to a USB flash drive and use it to switch-hit functionality. Boot from USB to watch media, boot from disc/ssd for whatever it was originally configured.

If you are adventurous try FreeNAS for your media storage needs. Configure as ZFS Z3 (at least 5+3).

In God we trust: please do not vote away our Republic this november.

Here is my update, my cash flow remains choked off for now, but hope is on the horizon still. In the mean time I will have cash for a 26" in about a month and a half, or about $300.00 US. So still actively assessing whats out there. No bells and whistles but at least 2 HDMI ports and 1 component in a a minimum. Something like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=89-104-197.
What ever I buy it will be moved to the bedroom later after an upgrade.

I would seriously suggest waiting for black friday. I can guarantee 32" LCDs under $200

Black Friday will work only if I can get the deals on line, as there are few major brick and mortar stores around here, and I am incapable of putting up with major snarling crowds. The time frame is about right though.

online deals tend to happen the day after black Friday and are called cyber Monday......many a deal you can have.....also most of the time you can get the Black Friday deals online as well.

Blessings and Hugs, "Angel"

There is also lots of sites that get you a preview of the deals coming. Also, if i remember correctly(big if there), Most cyber Monday deals can be had on black Friday if you know where to look. :)

Last edited:
The last nail was driven in the coffin of my hopes for a new tv last night when it was confirmed my printer was dead, dead, DEAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So now I am in the market for a new printer, preferably an HP so my better half and I can share cartridges, she loves to steal my cartridges for her printer. Inexpensive is the word, so no scanner. Can't wait for Black Friday or Cyber Monday. When you are on a fixed budget things like this really hurt, but I can order Friday so I will be ok.

edit: Good Golly Miss Molly, I know I said no scanner, but a quick trip to Tiger Direct popped this up http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1277064&CatId=2709

Anybody have any exp or knowledge of this one at all? Even a quick trip to Staples web site showed the ink cartridges to be reasonable for my usage.

Last edited:
Back