OMG

Goblit

OMG - does this offend you in chat? If it offends others would you stop using it to show your respect and love for other Christians in the group?

Discuss.

Personally OMG does not offend me. Now OMFG is a very offending term and whenever I see anybody use that I always tell them to stop because that can be a very hurtful thing to say. OMG doesn't really offend me, but also it takes a lot to offend me. I can understand how it would offend some people and I believe if it does offend some people then the others who say OMG need to not say it or reduce the amount they say it. But I know this term probably does offend some people so I do my best not to say it.

ME, ME , me It offends me, for different reasons, and now that I have the soapbox I will explain why!As many of you who know my walk, may seemed surprised at this, and some won’t. Any given day when I am tested I can shoot out expressions that would make a drunken sailor on shore leave take notice and slink away.

But I am so careful not to use these expressions in Guild; I do not use these expressions when I talk to my clients who are all educated people from the doctorate level to those who did not graduate high school….. Why, it is offensive to swear in certain settings, there is no call for it with the presence of children and young adults looking at older ones as role models. And even if you have the incredible stupid mentality that you’re not a role model to someone, you are wrong, your actions and choice of words effect those around you! But I digress

OMG, is general considered as Taking the Lords name in vain. Which may Christians do not like, some non Christians too. I was witness to a conversion where I literally had to bite my tongue to the point where I was sure it was going to bleed.

The expression whether you mean goodness or gosh, does not matter. It is always a matter of how you are perceived and NOT, I say again NOT what you meant. People get offended easy, and when you take the Lord’s name in vain, use it casually, you offend the people who Love the Lord, weep over what The Lord Jesus Christ did for us, and prayer reverently with tears, song, words and joy.

Why would you do this? Whether you are a causal believer or a non believer I do not think anyone has the right to be in our guild and then SLAP members in the face with their words. Whether you meant to or not. Because that’s what you’re doing. You insult US as Christians, and US believers and you insult US non believers, who have supported, loved, encouraged, our loved ones and respected the Faith of our brothers and sisters. Even defended it.

You know an incident happened, and I wanted to type “JUST DON”T USE IT, end of debate” even with myself, I catch me typing and I tag it with Goodness, So not to offend. Everyone slips, but to argue the point is in bad taste. The reason I did not say anything is Goblit has the incredible ability to remain claim in all sorts of situations and she’s on top of things and had it handled. She did it well.

Please No more OMG, it offensive, it disrespects our Values, and Faith, and it Hurts, some people see it as an insult the God the worship, serve and LOVE.

Have respect, for yourself and others. That is something we can all agree on.

Although I do not agree with its usage, I do not feel offended by "omg".

However, the fact that it does bother others around me is what gets on my nerves.
Personally, I feel that if it does offend any person around us, it should not be used at all.
But above all, nothing; including this; should be a factor that causes dissention among our guild members. If any phrase or concept is potentially offensive to any one person, it shouldn't be devastating just to NOT express it. That being the case, while "omg" may or may not be inappropriate, the fact that no GOOD comes out of using it while having POTENTIAL of being harmful makes it something that should not be said.

Just my 2 cents...(did this phrase of 2 cents come from the widow giving 2 pennies in Jesus' story??)

I does bother me some actually. When you say omg you are going against one of the ten commandments. Thou shal not you my name in vein. There are more vulgar things people can say, so i usually dont correct them.

The laptop i am on is so slow that i cannot even edit my previous message. I meant to say "use" instead of "you". I have been moving all day and i am extremely tired... and i have a headache.

If an acronym such as OMG is found to offend somebody, that moment, all use of it should come to an end. By continuing to use it in full knowledge that it offends somebody is very wrong, even more so then the actual use of the acronym.

As Litsafalda mentioned, if using the term OMG means Oh My Goodness, or Oh My Gosh, then spend the extra 1.5 seconds and write it out as OMGoodness, or OMGosh.

By continuing to use OMG without modifying it to the meaning you are trying to convey, you are saying to those who are offended by it, that they don't count or matter in their life. Is this the message of brotherly and sisterly love we are trying to convey, that some people don't matter or care if they are offended by a term?

Odale said:
I does bother me some actually. When you say omg you are going against one of the ten commandments. Thou shal not you my name in vein. There are more vulgar things people can say, so i usually dont correct them.

I've met people who refer me to the commandments for various reasons (this is one of them)...usually these are the same people "stealing" music, movies. /shrug

as for my thoughts on it...I have no problem with people using it around me, same goes for usual swear words. However when it gets excessive, I do ask them to stop or mute them if its online. Hey, that would be great if I could mute people irl...i'd mute anadi.

Now if I add an "f" for "freakin" without spelling it out.....does that change the amount of offense people take and why/how is that different? I don't beleive it changes the meaning at all.......but the offense level goes up does it not?

Well it is obvious that "OMG" does offend some people; So in our Christian guild where are key message is to love our Christian brothers and sisters, and to build them up, we should probably just not say it in respect and love for those it offends.
But allways remember, the reason we don't say certain things is for God, not to impress our Christian friends.

Adding an F to OMG to make it OMFG doesn't change the meaning in my opinion but the offense level does go up. The F word is a word that offends a lot of people to begin with and adding that in a term referring to God is extremely offensive. I have a lot of friends that curse and I am completely fine with them cursing or being around cursing but whenever I hear the F word, I always ask them to stop. OMG can be offensive to some Christians but OMFG should be offensive to all Christians. Some people might argue that it is just a term used online and it doesn't mean anything. Has OMG evolved from a term that is offensive and uses the Lords name in vein, to a term that is just used to show excitement or dissapointment online? When people say OMG are they saying Oh My God or Gosh? If someone says OMG can we as Christians identify the term as being Oh My Gosh instead of God? I believe if this term offends people, then it should not be said. Adding the F word to this term does make it much more offensive and more disrespectful to others and to the Lord. Personally I believe neither should be used, but I do have a little lee-way on the term OMG, but as for the term OMFG it should be blocked out of games such as other curse words. When other curse words are used like the F word, %&$* shows up instead of the word, if you have your profanity filter on. Maybe someone should write blizzard saying that OMG and OMFG are offensive and should be blocked. Do you believe these terms should be blocked?

Amaziah said:
Well it is obvious that "OMG" does offend some people; So in our Christian guild where are key message is to love our Christian brothers and sisters, and to build them up, we should probably just not say it in respect and love for those it offends.
But allways remember, the reason we don't say certain things is for God, not to impress our Christian friends.

Can't say that if someone doesn't swear that it impresses me at all.......maybe it should....but it doesn't. I refrain (and yes that is hard for me) from saying things to avoid hurting others in the guild not to impress them.

I thought the F-word was Felheart.....

Nice discussion, does anyone care to shed some scripture on this to maybe make some things more clear???

Yes, I do have a few in mind, but not I do not have the time to look them up. I am running out the door to work and have to coach softball tonight...

I know that it is inappropraite for OMG to by typed in guild chat. If any one brother or sister is offended then we in our freedom should help by not causing him or her to be harmed.

honestly, when I think of the phrase "Oh My God" I find it hard to think of a way to even take this in vein. I have used this phrase numerous times over my life and it usually preceeds some sort of prayer.

I honestly dont see why it should be censored, and if people are taking offense to my praying to God then I think there is a much bigger issue at hand

Off the top of my head, I can't think of a single person ever being kicked out of the guild for swearing\cusing\cursing or OMGing.

I think we all have to realize that:

A: Some people are sensitive to what they consider vulgar language.
B: Those who are sensitive have to come to a realization that it happens and that we all try to better ourselves.

This is especially true as we approach June when we will have alot of people in Vent who are not used to the toned down language we have come to enjoy. There are people who will be joining us who are used to being in an enviroment where much harsher language is the norm. So we have to give them time to adjust to our "culture". That means being more forgiving then normal.

---

O, BTW, I don't believe anybody is perfect, we have all said a few choice words in our life time.

First of all I need to point out that the word is VAIN not VEIN. Vein is where you find gold or blood. Vain is "To no avail; without success" or " In an irreverent or disrespectful manner"

In Exodus 20:7 (and many other places) it says “You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain, for the Lord will not hold him guiltless who takes his name in vain."

I think this is appropriate to saying Oh My God over a trivial thing, like getting new loot in a video game. On one hand God is Omnipresent and we should realize that He is with us as we play WoW. On the other hand, I find it quite irreverent and to no avail for most people to throw OMG in as a filler word when some surprising loot drops. The Jews took this seriously and would not even speak the name of the Lord out loud because it was so holy and reverent. Now a days we throw it around when we see a blue item in a game. OMG OMG OMG. I truly feel this falls in the "in vain" category. OMG clearly stands for OhMyGod and has been used this way before we were born. To say it stands for goodness or gosh, is not a valid argument, that might be your specific use, but not the World's. I think it actually just another one of these Christian ways to alter swear words so our mom's wouldn't wash our mouths out with soap as kids.

Ephesians 4:29 "Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen."

In this verse Paul tells us not to call each other Noobs in guild chat, or make jokes about drugs, sex, alcohol. Or not to say OMG. No matter how you want to spin it here in this thread, those are not wholesome talk. I am sorry, they are just not and therefore we should try our best to hold our tongue from saying them in guild chat. We want to separate ourselves from the World's pattern of speech and lifestyle. We are called out to be holy and shine as light in a dark place.

A good point was made that we need to be forgiving. We are all terrible sinners and will all make mistakes in guild chat at some point. We need to forgive each other and correct in love. If you seem or hear someone slip in chat/vent, it might be best to whisper them a loving correction before pointing it out to the whole guild. We don't want to embarrass our friends. We can't ignore it, we are responsible for our brothers and sisters, but we can lovingly and forgivingly deal with it.

Last edited:
*Whistle blows*

*Time Out Called*

Time to step on toes...cause that is what I'm good at....

OMG offends certain ppl...period. Quit Using it. If you continue to be insensitive to the guild members who are easily offended by this term...prepare for a swift kick out of the guild....bnecause obviously you don't give a hoot about anyone but yourself.

While I agree with Scriptural back-up, it is hardly necessary...folks just need to be mature and do as requested if they can't they need the boot.

I dislike stupidity and immaturity...and repeating to buck the system when something is said fit into both categories.

In Closing...Do as your are told...or pack your bags...life is too short to spend it bickering in forums...

Okay...

*Whistle Blows*

PLAY BALL!!!

Back