Noticed Concerns

Counselor

One reason I left another popular online game was because of the fact there were few Christians there, the language was bad and the attitude even worse. Warcraft is not immune to this though it is much better. Perhaps I'm out of line here, perhaps not. Here a few basic rules I use when playing the games. I'd love to see others add to them.

1. It is a GAME. A fun game but a game. Your self worth and value have nothing to do with the equipment you have, your level or how many monsters you can kill.

2. While others may be impressed with a cocky attitude, I am not. It shows a lack of character and if I ever seem that way, please put me in my place.

3. If you swear more than a few times expect to be on ignore, plain and simple. Same thing for a cocky attitude, I'm not impressed at all.

4. Victory dances and sayings after each kill are not impressive, they are annoying. Now and then, of course, I do it at times as well, but not after each kill.

5. We are a Christian guild and everything we do reflects on the guild. Helping another player out one minute then showing a cocky attitude the next only sends a message that we are not what we claim.

6. We are Christ's ambassadors here on this game. Lord may I always live up to that position you have so kindly bestowed on me.

7. Yes the agrressive and cocky people seem to be higher levels. Goody for them. I'd rather stay a low level if attitude is the cost.

8. If a person ever gets too sure of themself I suggest turning on pvp and hanging out in Horde land for a day. That should do it.

9. Asking for help is one thing, I'm always there to help anyone but I have kids of my own and have no desire to adopt a full time dependant on this game.

10. We are judged here by the other characters we hang out with. Idiots tend to attract other idiots. Best to be nice to them and show them by example but never get caught up in their attitudes.

11. I will come to anyone's birthday party, Christimas party or Fourth of July Party but I will NOT come to a pity party.

12. Take responsibility for yourself. We all have problems and are all here to help and encourage each other but bad choices mean consequences. Accept them, learn from them and grow stronger because of them.

Well said and you have my support to provide correction to any guild member who would depict themselves in this matter. While we are all sinners, we are no longer subject to the sinful nature which means we are left without excuse for this type of conduct. We will excercise the biblical order of discipline should we have a member who is out of line as oppose to out of character.

Just a quick thought on interactions with non-guild offenders.

I have found that the biblical method is the best method for dealing with really offensive people. Thankfully, WoW's interface facilitates the biblical method.

1. Whisper the offensive person. Don't flame him, but respond in love. If he only responds with a flame, or ignores you and becomes more offensive, then...

2. discuss the matter in the next highest level of chat. If he's in your party, go to party chat. If he's in your guild, speak up in guild chat. If he's not at all, get on the general chat. REMEMBER to stay speaking in love! You don't want to be a flamer too! If all of the Christians are on everyone's ignore list, the gospel will NOT be spread!

3. If all this fails, report to the GMs. This is a last ditch effort, but it is only reasonable if someone is making everyone's game unbearable.

Plz note that my ignore list has only 2 people on it, while it could deserve more. I just feel that putting people on the ignore list places them out of my hands for any work of the gospel. Those people who are on my ignore list have also got all the way to step 3.

Also I should mention on the rules of Christian content:

1. Looting!!!!! How many times have you gone through a dungeon with a party led by someone with a "Don't roll on the big sword or any plate, but I'm gonna roll on your staff and that cloth robe even though I'm a palladin and have absolutely NO use for them, cuz I'm not even a chanter" attitude. It's really annoying! If you are going on a run for a specific item or set piece, it is only Christ-like to specify what you want and to give a bargaining position for it. "I really want the [Illusionary Rod] so I'm willing to not roll on any other weapon drops for this run". I've tried it, it worked.

2. Leaders should lead by supplying knowledge, encouragement, and backup to their party, NOT by handing down command after command after command and ditching their party at the slightest perceived insubordination. (This is NOT something I've noticed from our guild at all) Yesterday, Deedlyt & I were in SM with a party who's leader decided to leave us all to die because we got caught in a respawned room. This really made us unable to follow his leadership in future issues. I think it's safe to say that if your a leader, and a Forgiven, you have a responsibility to shepard your flocks! This also goes for the role being a damper on potentially angry people (like for an accidentally "stolen" loot).

Finally a word on "Macro taunts". I have to admit that I am the first person in the guild to invent "macro taunts" and therefore am to blame for any abuse of them. :( But as the creator, let me lay down the rules.

1. Don't overuse! The get dumb if they are seen 5942 times in one BFD run!
2. Keep them clean! We don't want to be seen as crass hypocrites.
3. Keep them in the spirit of WoW. My "You will fall to the Holy might of the Forgiven" is passible because it sounds like something a WoW npc might say.
4. At this point I only trigger them a) in response to a challenge from an opponent. or b) a the BEGINNING of a battle with a boss. I never trigger them a) after killing an enemy (corpses can't hear!) or b) to a beast (they can hear, but I feel stupid talking to a pig. I just do.)

Once again, moderation. My partymates (most of them) actually enjoy my Macros, as they actually ADD to my character's believability, rather than detract.

Thank-you, that is helpful in both communicating how to interact with those who are not working together well and setting a reasonable expectation. I have done a number of RAIDs and believe me, it can get far more abusive then any 5 member party, which is one of the reasons to keeping our instance runs guild only. Secondly if we can take the lead on instance runs by providing high lvl characters, then I find those who are invited that are not guild have a tendancy to be better behaved. It is very important to be clear on loot rules. My rules are simple and are universal within WoW.

- Roll on ALL greens (bind on equip gear) - if someone else in the party can use what you won and EQUIP it immediately then give it to them.

- Do not roll on blues (bind on pickup) without first discussing it with the group. It goes first to the class it was designed for first.

- One blue per person, always, everyone should walk out with something. The exception to this is if our guild enchanters are with us like Perin and Zael. If you can not use it, please pass and let them disenchant it. Again if you have won an item already and everyone has received one already. We need to help our enchanters level.

Back