News - North American Star League

Bowser

Tribe of Judah StarCraft Series Chapter Leader
There's a new StarCraft league being started, and it's right here in the United States. It's for the tip-top Western players, although I'm not sure if it'll be considered a world-wide tournament or not. Hopefully they do allow players from all over, including Korea, China, Sweden, etc.

I do have a few gripes I want to throw out there first, though:
  • Couldn't we have thought of a better name than North American Star League? I mean, seriously? ... Star League? Oh, and what's the acronym... NASL? Oh, yea, that sounds cool. Nasil. "yeah, I'm playing in the nasil - it's gonna be so awesome!" Not only does North American imply that players will only be... North American, which I hope is not the case, but "Star" reminds me of bad, generic clan/tournament names from SC:BW.
  • Los Angeles? Really? Not only is it already crazy busy down there, parking, traffic, and traveling there will be a complete mess. I would have suggested starting a location somewhere else on the west coast, for a number of reasons. One, Los Angeles is old school; let's try something new, and also hep out a smaller town's economy, and make it easier for everyone to travel there. Perhaps San Jose, near in silicon valley. It makes sense. Traffic is much better there, it's actually beautiful in the city and the surrounding areas, and will attract, I think, far more people from within the U.S. And, you can still pull in people from the other side of the Pacific relatively easily, since San Jose is one of the major hubs. Then, if the league becomes popular enough, I would even expand and create another studio, but this time on the East Coast (for many specific reasons).

With that out of the way, let me just say I'm really excited for this. The FAQ looks like they've covered a lot of key stuff, like allowing "guests" to come on and cast, and having an online tournament and then finally moving to a LAN beginning at the RO4. I really hope this takes off, or even if it doesn't that it'll be surpassed by something far great and more successful.

3 thoughts:
  1. Nasal, lol
  2. Star League? Is that between Mushroom Cup and Special Cup?
  3. Looking forward to more great replays and commentaries

One thing i didn't like was that the players have to be a part of a team for them to be eligible to participate. I heard on the state of the game podcast that white ra is self sponcered so he wouldn't be able to compete in this league.

Back