New Heroes

Icthus

How does one decide?

Do I just play all of them every week?

Do I choose a style or a couple of styles?

I wish I didn't suck.

I'd recommend picking up a few of the cheap (450 IP) champs to start to get a feel for what style of play you like and also watch this link to see what champs are free-to-play any given week.

If you're playing a F2P champ for the first time, I recommend that you try them out in a bot match--NOT in a live PvP match. Learned from (awful) experience on that point.

Oh, IIRC, all Dota2 champs will be unlocked from the start.

Just sayin'.

If you're playing a F2P champ for the first time, I recommend that you try them out in a bot match--NOT in a live PvP match. Learned from (awful) experience on that point.

Just sayin'.

I have been playing for about two weeks. I have not had a bad experience with a team mate yet. Unless you count the one with Meli.

That is SUPER overwhelming and almost kills my interest, honestly.
For me, all champions being unlocked at start is what made me sit up and take notice of Dota2.

Then I remember that I'm not really all that fond of LoL, either. And that I have a backlog a mile long. And that I'm actually not very good at LoL at all.

Unless you count the one with Meli.

Zing!

It helps to know your play style, too. I absolutely suck with melee champions (Ashe too, apparently... >_>), so I tend to stick with/purchase the ranged ones (Sivir, Veigar, Ryze, etc.).

Now that I have my *real* LoL account back, friend me! Osirys is the name.

Ashe is le squish. Seriously, someone sneezes in her general direction and she falls over dead.

If you're looking for starter champs, I recommend Sivir, Soraka, and Nunu. All 3 cost only 450 IP and help teach the fundamentals of the game. Plus it's fairly easy to contribute to a team when playing support as Soraka (or at least easier than dominating the enemy team as an offensive player).

EDIT: I probably wouldn't have dropped LoL altogether if I didn't discover Morgana when I did. She melts face, has a great AoE, has a stun, has a "panic button"/escape maneuver, and one of the best skins (Pastry Chef) in the game. If and when you find the character that clicks for you, it makes the game much more fun (but still a terrible experience when your team is getting steamrolled and you have to wait until the 20 minute mark to start a surrender vote).

Last edited:
Ick, the thing I did was played the same champ over and over for 2 weeks just to learn the game mechanics (map, language, strategy) then I branched out from there. Then you'll get a feel for what play style you prefer (ranged, melee, tank, magic, attack, etc).

Ick, the thing I did was played the same champ over and over for 2 weeks just to learn the game mechanics (map, language, strategy) then I branched out from there. Then you'll get a feel for what play style you prefer (ranged, melee, tank, magic, attack, etc).
Good point.

I chose Ashe as my first champion unlock. That almost led to me quitting the game entirely. Then I switched to Morgana and discovered what the game should have been all along.

I'd say pick a champion like Sivir (bland but effective) and stick with her to get a general feel for the game. Have one or two alts (maybe Soraka and Shen?) for different play styles.

Back