NeoGeo games + PSN + multiplayer = win

Tek7

CGA President, Tribe of Judah Founder & President
Staff member
Nine months after the ESRB listed Neo Geo games for PS3 and PSP, publisher SNK Playmore has announced plans for a "Neo Geo Station" on PlayStation Network. Starting December 21, games from the Neo Geo's library will be released on PSN in both PS3 and PSP versions, costing $8.99 and $6.99 each, respectively. The pricing on the PS3 versions is equivalent to the cost of buying Neo Geo games on the Wii Virtual Console.

Unlike the Virtual Console releases, these aren't just emulated versions of the originals. SNK has added features like online co-op and versus play on PS3 (and Ad-Hoc Party support on PSP), along with other unspecified enhancements. Check after the break for all ten games hitting PS3 on December 21, and the two PSP games arriving at the same time. The other eight are scheduled to arrive on PSP sometime in January.
Source: Neo Geo games coming to PSN with online play

Two thoughts:
  1. If this was possible 3+ years ago, why didn't they just do it then?
  2. YESSS.

Problem?

SNK's netcode has sucked terribly in the past. Here's to hoping the netcode doesn't suck this time around.

...and that more than just the first SamSho and King of Fighters games get this treatment.

I love SNK. Of course, I really haven't played anything from them with online play. I've got a fever, and the only prescription is an HD Crystalis remake.

Edit: Don't forget baseball stars.

What is a wren? A bird.

Oh man... Crystalis HD Remix would be siiiiiiick.

I heart SamSho, too, but it seems like later games actually improved the series. If SamShoII gets this treatment... with playable netcode... I'll be all over that.

I know there's almost zero chance of this, BUT it would be wonderful if SNK licensed the GGPO netcode for use in these re-releases.

Probably not gonna happen, but would still be very cool.

EDIT: Samurai Shodown IV + online play + excellent netcode + Rimururu + arcade stick = Gaming dream come true.

Last edited:
I know there's almost zero chance of this, BUT it would be wonderful if SNK licensed the GGPO netcode for use in these re-releases.

Probably not gonna happen, but would still be very cool.

EDIT: Samurai Shodown IV + online play + excellent netcode + Rimururu + arcade stick = Gaming dream come true.
Surprisingly, of all people, Namco licensed the GGPO netcode for an upcoming DBZ game. After the netcode atrocity that was Budokai Tenkaichi 3 (an otherwise awesome game), that's just fine by me.

Sooooo hoping that other companies get in on that. GGPO's netcode is top tier.

FYI: In the same Playstation blog update that said PSN Plus subscribers would soon be getting access to the DC Universe Online beta, discounts on the upcoming NeoGeo games were also said to be happening. Seems worth noting.

As for me, I think I'm finally gonna bite the bullet and get a three month subscription very soon. The year (plus three months when purchased via the PSN store) deal is definitely more bang for the buck, but it's also close to three times the buck. Figure this will hold me over until I can afford the longer subscription... and see to it that I stop missing out on sweet "free" stuff.

Like the PSN Plus exclusive LittleBigPlanet hype generator minigame they've got right now. And, of course, the upcoming beta. And... and... and...

Yeah and stuff. :p

K, I need to go back and play Crystalis on the ol' NES controller table. Seriously though, Crystalis HD sounds like a fan project I'd put time into. Add in extra content + co-op content up to four playesr (likely using Mesia or another unnamed hero as player #2), and it'd be good.

Limit use to one item/sword in use per player at a time, which would be nice in those areas with 2 enemies with different immunities where you constantly have to swap swords.

Oh yeah....

Back