Needing a good fighter game for Wii...

Logos

Okay, I know there is Brawl. :) But I am looking for something less cartoony feeling...and more realistic. I must be honest I played TvsC for a night and maybe I didn't realize some of the mechanics, because it just seemed I hit the same button over and over to get the super move without any effort...and there seemed to be only two or three moves per character??? Am I wrong??? Also is there any other fighter game you might suggest?

Have tried playing TvC with a Gamecube or Classic Controller? The button inputs are more technical when not on Simple mode. Someone like Alex has plenty of moves. I prefer it that way but my brother uses the Wiimote, he can pull off stuff faster but I have more control. :p

Oh I didn't realize there was a simple mode LOL I guess that is what I had turned on...makes sense.

Okay, I know there is Brawl. :) But I am looking for something less cartoony feeling...and more realistic.
I don't know if there are any fighters I would call "realistic" on the Wii, but you might want to check into Samurai Shodown Anthology if you're (like me) a big fan of any of the Samurai Shodown games.

I used to play Samurai Shodown IV on an arcade machine and I learned to be quite pro with Rimiruru and Shizumaru Hisame.

If I ever have the spare cash to pick up a proper arcade joystick for the Wii, I may pick up Samurai Shodown Anthology just to play IV again.

There's a King of Fighters collection, as well. I believe it is titled "Orochi Saga" and contains '94-'98. Personally, I find the KoF series to be my favorite in terms of technical fighting games. If you want something more dynamic and overthetop (while still being extremely technical), give Guilty Gear XX Accent Core a run. It's more or less the predecessor to the BlazBlue series. Of course, there are a few Street Fighter selections on the Virtual Console, too.

I very much love TvC; I think it plays a lot like the first Marvel vs Capcom without the extra assist characters. I always played with the Classic Controller, and it felt as deep and technical as most Capcom games to me.

Now, if only I could find someone who wants to buy my import copy (yeaaaaaah... I'm kind of a Capcom fighting game fanboy) so I can afford to pick up the American release. :/

There's a King of Fighters collection, as well. I believe it is titled "Orochi Saga" and contains '94-'98. Personally, I find the KoF series to be my favorite in terms of technical fighting games.
I'd forgotten about the KoF collection. I spent a few minutes checking out the character art for KoF XIII yesterday, even though I never really got into the KoF series.

If you want something more dynamic and overthetop (while still being extremely technical), give Guilty Gear XX Accent Core a run.
How did I forget about Guilty Gear?

If you decide to pick up any version of the game, be sure it's Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus.

On a somewhat related note: When BlazBlue: Continuum Shift sees a North America Playstation 3 release, it's going to be just that much more tempting to buy a PS3.

I very much love TvC; I think it plays a lot like the first Marvel vs Capcom without the extra assist characters. I always played with the Classic Controller, and it felt as deep and technical as most Capcom games to me.
Agreed (based on what little I played of it).

Now, if only I could find someone who wants to buy my import copy (yeaaaaaah... I'm kind of a Capcom fighting game fanboy) so I can afford to pick up the American release. :/
An import copy of the Japanese release of Tatsunoko vs. Capcom? Impressive, sir. +1 Enthusiast bonus.

I'd forgotten about the KoF collection. I spent a few minutes checking out the character art for KoF XIII yesterday, even though I never really got into the KoF series.
Understandable; it really is its own beast. I really like the combat system throughout most of the series, though. And the art of KoFXII/KoFXIII... I love.

If you decide to pick up any version of the game, be sure it's Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus.
Oops. Forgot there was a Plus version. Thanks for pointing that out.

An import copy of the Japanese release of Tatsunoko vs. Capcom? Impressive, sir. +1 Enthusiast bonus.
I was pretty hyped over the game. Inclusion of Zero in the American release is more than enough to make me want it, but it's been low on my purchase list. I'll have to pick it up someday, though.

Hey Kenny,

On a side note, I love your avatar there... :D
lol Thanks. A forum buddy of mine on another site posted up that image because of its awesomeness. I quickly shrunk it and added a border to make it my avatar there. Thought I'd use it here, too.

Success Baby, as I call him, manages to brighten my day frequently.

I was pretty hyped over the game. Inclusion of Zero in the American release is more than enough to make me want it, but it's been low on my purchase list. I'll have to pick it up someday, though.
Too bad you have to clear the game with 6 stock (i.e. available from the start) Capcom characters to unlock Zero. Weaksauce.

Too bad you have to clear the game with 6 stock (i.e. available from the start) Capcom characters to unlock Zero. Weaksauce.
Easiest AI setting combined with maximum damage setting helps ease that pain, but I hear ya. I definitely don't like having to unlock characters.

Easiest AI setting combined with maximum damage setting helps ease that pain, but I hear ya. I definitely don't like having to unlock characters.
Indeed. I'm of the "I paid for the content, don't make me work what I already paid money for" school of game design. Soul Calibur II went overboard with the unlockables and it's been downhill ever since.

EDIT: Oh, hey, Soul Calibur II! The Wii can play Gamecube games, so pick up a used copy of SC2 and pop it in. It's still the best Soul Calibur game IMHO, which is why I bought a copy and two Wavebird controllers. (Okay, so I bought the Wavebirds for other games, too, but SC2 factored into the decision.)

Last edited:
Oh shoot. I didn't even think about Gamecube games. That opens up a few more options. Yeah, Soul Calibur II is awesome. The Gamecube controller isn't the most awesome for fighting games, but I'd recommend seeing if you can get your hands on Capcom vs. SNK 2. Just... don't use the Easy Operation controls. Ew. It's a really good fighting game, though.

Also, there are some surprisingly fun Dragon Ball Z fighting games. If you don't take yourself too seriously, DBZ: Budokai Tenkaichi 3 is a lot of fun. I'll openly admit to enjoying the whole "mimicking Goku throwing a kamehameha" thing. Quick note: I didn't know anything about DBZ prior to playing DBZ:BT2. It has an online play mode, but it's garbage. Don't know if that matters to you or not. DBZ Budokai and DBZ Budokai 2 are Gamecube games that are functionally 2D fighters (3D fighters on a 2D plane). DBZ:BT2 and DBZ:BT3 are Wii games, and they are fully 3D, but you are always locked onto your opponent.

Likewise, there are some good Naruto games, too. The Clash of Ninja series (I believe CoN Revolution 3 is the most recent installment) is really solid. They're not the deepest games in the world, but you still gotta put some effort into winning. They offer up to four combatants in a given fight; free for all and team options are available. The series utilizes 3D gameplay.

For both the Naruto and DBZ games, you don't have to be a fan of the source material to enjoy the games, but you will probably like them more if you're an existing license fan.

Naruto and DBZ, now u are talking my language. :) I have been thinking of picking those two up for sure...the wii versions of course. I really have heard great things about those. I suppose I am wanting some fighting games because they aren't something you have to sit down and play for hours to feel like you are getting somewhere. :) Although you could spend hours on them of course!

Speaking of being a fan...if you notice my signature, DBZ kai is my fav right now...it is AWESOMENESS! Also I am re-watching the original Naruto series well season one anyways, since I have the box set.

Last edited:
Speaking of being a fan...if you notice my signature, DBZ kai is my fav right now...it is AWESOMENESS! Also I am re-watching the original Naruto series well season one anyways, since I have the box set.
I find the Great Naruto Bridge story arc to be an exceptionally powerful story arc for any series. In fact, I'm not really coming up with any particular story arcs that are more powerful to me than it.

Bad news on these games is that you have to unlock things. Good news is... thanks to websites like WiiSave, you can download game save files that have already unlocked everything.

DBZ:BT2 is around $13 new from Amazon, $5 used from one of their sellers. DBZ:BT3 is $44 new from Amazon, $17 used from their sellers. I've owned both, and I'd have to say that BT3 is definitely superior. It got rid of some weird IR controls that made special moves less reliable in BT2, and it's an overall better package.

Clash of Ninja Revolution games are pretty inexpensive. CoNR is $17 new from Amazon, $2 used. CoNR2 is $18 and $5. CoNR3 is $30 and $20. The third one is based on Shippuden. The first two are from part one.

Back