Need major help!

Asheriah

Not sure what happened, but earlier i went online and watched an episode of Lost. During the episode, a bunch of small warning windows came up and said my computer has been infected. and if i would like to get rid of it with some anti spyware/antivirus product.

of course i said no, and every 3 sec it keeps popping back up.

The problem is that whatever it is , is not allowing me to access anything on my desktop. ie... vent, wow, and a couple other programs..

I did a full system scan with my anitvirus, and it said i had no threats. and i also did a scan using Advanced System Care and it said there was nothing..

I still cant access programs after the scans.. whatever it is is blocking me from starting them..

what should i do?

I installed both programs, and i am having the same problem. When i click on the icon to start the program, it blocks it from opening.

You have the rogue anti-virus and it is not a joke. It can totally shut down your system.
If you are lucky it has not progressed too far. Easiest method for removal is.....

Restart the computer while tapping the F8 key.
--This should bring up a dos window that has the option "Safe mode with networking" pick this using the arrow keys and press enter.
once in safe mode:
-Download and install Ccleaner and malware bytes.
-Run ccleaner
-Update malwarebytes and do a quick scan. remove all at the end.
-Restart to normal mode and run malwarebytes again. (quick scan is fine)

That might be enough to clear it all up. If not, post here and I will give you the more hardcore tools to remove this. Sounds like you might need more as you are getting .exe blocking. Most likely you will need to run a process killer and policy repair before you can install these programs.

ps. I do this for a living and remove this virus (or similar) 2-5 times a week every week for 5+ years. If you want I will remote in to your system tomorrow afternoon and clean it for free.

Last edited:
I think that worked,, its not on anymore. and i can access programs again..

so what is the deal with this "Rogue antivirus" ?

I am having a similar prob on one of my desktops. It has rendered it basically useless. My grandson downloaded something from some "Tattoo" website. It will not allow me to execute many programs saying that there is no file associated with that .exc or setup file. I do not have the pop-up problem Asheriah is having. Just cannot run much. I was able to run Kapersky from the dos mode off the disc and it found 2 minor problems. Norton Utilities has done nothing to improve it. It just does not seem to be an adware problem.

I am going to try what Ewoksrule suggests.

Hmm actually what you are describing sounds different. It sounds like the file association with .exe files is missing.

something like this site might help you:
http://filext.com/faq/broken_exe_association.php
It has a downloadable reg file that should fix the association, but sometimes even that does not work depending on how severe it is. There are more instructions on this page that I have used before to good success.

I am having a similar prob on one of my desktops. It has rendered it basically useless. My grandson downloaded something from some "Tattoo" website. It will not allow me to execute many programs saying that there is no file associated with that .exc or setup file. I do not have the pop-up problem Asheriah is having. Just cannot run much. I was able to run Kapersky from the dos mode off the disc and it found 2 minor problems. Norton Utilities has done nothing to improve it. It just does not seem to be an adware problem.

I am going to try what Ewoksrule suggests.

Norton utilities doesn't help much. It bogs down your system, kinda does what it's supposed to and also costs too much. I don't use any Norton products anymore.

Ewoksrule - I think you are my new best friend! Actually the site you referenced has a link to another site that has a written fix for the file association instead of having to go mess with the registry yourself.

Sambo - Norton Utilities did make my machine run soother and I am even getting better frame rates in game...don't ask me how! I just used it registry fix on this machine and it helped... Now on the machine that was having the problem...nothing I could tell. Norton certainly is not what it used to be for a utility system back in the late 80's. Maybe they got on the stick with their newer release and decided to quit resting on their laurels.

Lothis, that is a great price, but I still do not trust Norton that well... I have a subscription for my three machines with Kaspersky. I was using Trend Micro and was extremely pleased until it screwed up somehow and their customer service rep that was handling my problem apparently could not understand English because he did not pay attention to what I was telling him. Hope he found a job as a janitor instead...

Thanks to all of you for the great help! Ewoks, if you have a different site you would rather answer questions under, let me know and I will post their next time I have such a problem.

Awesome! Glad to hear you got it fixed and that desktop is back in commission.

I know that there are other great techs in this community so I think asking for help in the CGA general forums is a good choice.

I get notifications when sent a PM so feel to PM me anytime with questions or advice needed on tech support stuff.

Back