My Future Studies (this might interest you)

Neirai the Forgiven

Christian Guilds List Manager
It's been my life-long desire to make video games. Unfortunately, it hasn't always seemed to be possible -- I mean, every geeky kid wants to make video games and they never want to do the work. Furthermore, when I tried to pursue computer programming, I found out that it really wasn't my thing. The dream to make games was one I had to abandon.

Later on I began to go to college to become a Psychologist -- probably the furthest thing from my dream. I went because I needed to find a job, not because I really wanted to be a Psychologist. In College, I found myself entranced with the world of English Literature. So I switched to English.

Once I switched to English I quickly realized that God had pulled the wool on me and now I was in the position to make games that I really wanted to be in -- not the code jock but the storyteller. Woot.

So here's the upcoming studies I am taking that you might be interested in:

My Practicum -- next two semesters. I'm going to be teaching children to play video games. No, really. I mean, I'll be teaching children to use computers, but I'll be doing it by letting them play video games. Sounds sweet to me.

My Senior Paper -- next two semesters. I'm going to be creating a Dramatic Script for use with Electronic Actors and Props. Read: a Neverwinter Nights Module. This will be used as a springboard to app for Bioware as a Writer as soon as I complete my English degree (which is the requirement for the job.)

The Literature of Popular Culture. This is a brand-new English class opening up at my college, and as such, the Prof is building the curriculum from scratch. He's asked some of us to come up with new areas of study. I'm proposing that we study Shakugan no Shana. It's an Anime that (I'm arguing) captures the essence of what makes good English (yes, I know it's Japanese) literature; that is, it attempts to answer the fundamental English-language quandary, "What does it mean to be Human?" As I work on these projects, I might post random stuff here to show you my development, as long as there's interest. Thanks!

The Literature of Popular Culture. This is a brand-new English class opening up at my college, and as such, the Prof is building the curriculum from scratch. He's asked some of us to come up with new areas of study. I'm proposing that we study Shakugan no Shana. It's an Anime that (I'm arguing) captures the essence of what makes good English (yes, I know it's Japanese) literature; that is, it attempts to answer the fundamental English-language quandary, "What does it mean to be Human?" As I work on these projects, I might post random stuff here to show you my development, as long as there's interest. Thanks!
It's true that the Japanese seem much more interested in the question, "What does it mean to be Human?" We in the US can only fathom a future where humanoid robots live alongside humans as the stuff of sci-fi. The Japanese, historically tending toward isolationism and loving technology, foresee that future as reality within the next two generations.

While Americans have Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles and Kyle XY, those shows are more about a-splosions, angst-ridden monologues, and, "ZOMG WHOZ KILE TAKIN 2 TEH PR0M? ROFFLEWAFFLES!!!111eleven" than deep, philosophical questions.

There's a long line of "What does it mean to be Human?" anime, beginning with Astro Boy and continuing even now with the second Shakugan no Shana series (which is excellent, by the way). Other series that address the topic include Mai HiME (in the characters of Alyssa Sears and Miyu), Ghost in the Shell, Karin (who is a reverse vampire living among humans), and others.

Shakugan no Shana has a very interesting take on the question and the series is relatively recent, so I agree that it's a good pick.

You'll probably find that you cross over into series featuring lead characters with artificial intelligence. If all else fails and the professor seems hesitant to use anime as course material, tell him that Gally, the A.I. lead character of the series known in the US as Battle Angel Alita, is named after Galatea, of the Greek myth, Pygmalion. Maybe that, if nothing else, will convince him that anime isn't all Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh swill.

Lol, okay, but my profs are quite aware of Naming in Shana... After all, I can pull the same card with Hecate, Alastor, Marcosius, et al. :)

BTW, when I first saw episode 3 of Shakugan no Shana, I was really taken aback with the introduction of Konoe -- who resembles Hecate, because I wondered if new designers were taking the show and playing hard and fast with it -- until I realized the implications of the name Hecate forshadow this event.

(FYI I'm only up to 2.3 in episodes. My presentation will focus on Shakugan no Shana 1, only.)

I chose Shakugan no Shana particularly because it not only asks "What does it mean to be human?" but it does so using many classically English-lit buzzwords such as Naming, Identity, Memory, Place, the Nature of Good and Evil, and finally Education. Moreover, it allows for exploration of Human Nature, Human Relationships, the Human Condition, Gender Issues, Sexuality, and Post-Apocalyptic themes.

Basically, I'm arguing that Shakugan no Shana is not only a decent piece of "English Literature," but that it's English Lit Gold.

For those of you who are into the whole Cultural Poetics things, check out the song "Bottom Feeder" by Project 86, which (In my opinion) would make a perfect English-language theme song for Shakugan no Shana.

Lyrics from AZlyrics, so take with a grain of salt.

So little of what seems to be
Is ever really there
So much of what’s here I resent
I am a demagogue
Born of eternal fire
Forever just a memory my friend
So when I disappear
She will still be here
Sifting my remains through the ashes

She’s not ordinary
She’s just like me

But there is something wrong
Inside of me that says
That she and I are one in the same
So I'm not alone
She’s just like me

At some point in time over the summer, I'm planning to write a pro bono essay on Shakugan no Shana and its message. I will be focusing on the themes of identity, relationships (romance, but more so), and the ultimate goal of life. I will also focus on the question "Should Christians embrace or reject Shakugan no Shana?"

My sample thesis: Through themes of naming, romance, and ultimately, sacrifice, Yashichiro Takahashi's Shakugan no Shana explores the meaning of being human, illuminating the struggle between humanity and duty, and points to Christlike "agape" love as the ultimate defining point of a human identity.

Theses are supposed to be inflammatory. I'm pretty sure this one is.

Flame on :) (and Tek, I'd like to hear your thoughts.)

In terms of focus, I will primarily be looking at:
Naming & Identity -- the second-episode "Naming Scene;" the Third episode "Replacement Scene"; the Defeat of Hecate.
Relationships -- Largely the last half of the show, including Shana's back story, her sacrifice to save Sakai Yuji from Carmel, and the Defeat of Hecate.
Sacrifice and Ultimate Good -- In the early episodes, when Yuji gives of himself for the purposes of repairing damages; Shana's aforementioned sacrifice; The ending "I love you" scene. I'm going to pull a T.S. Eliot and cut off the show at about 10 seconds after Shana says "I love you, Yuji." The final show ending is simply a double plot device intended to allow for sequels.

And finally -- Can Christians be cool with Shana? I fundamentally believe that Shakugan no Shana is more than just a bunch of people who have sold their souls to demons fighting off other demons as part of a huge feud. The show focuses on love as a key to humanness and, furthermore, claims that the ultimate form of love is Self-effacing sacrifice for those one loves.

"Nobody is capable of a greater love than the one who gives up life for a friend." -- Jesus Christ.

Last edited:
My sample thesis: Through themes of naming, romance, and ultimately, sacrifice, Yashichiro Takahashi's Shakugan no Shana explores the meaning of being human, illuminating the struggle between humanity and duty, and points to Christlike "agape" love as the ultimate defining point of a human identity.
Sounds like a solid these to me. "Points to" might be a bit vague, but it's a good start.

You might also want to clarify the meaning of "humanity" in the phrase "illuminating the struggle between humanity and duty."

I'm glad to see someone digging a little deeper into anime and relating a series to Christian themes. It's not uncommon in any storytelling medium to find stories that touch on themes more clearly illustrated in Scripture: sacrifice, identity, destiny, etc.

Oh, by the way, you may want to tack a few spoiler tags on to your post. Not everyone knows how the first Shakugan no Shana series ends. :)

Back