MY Comp Has Wierdid out on me

Atown

Christian Gamers Alliance Amazon Store Manager
Staff member
Ok i have windows Xp Business cuz it came as an extra when i got the comp, and for some odd reason when i load it up i type in my pw and all that comes up is my backround, no icons,no start menu, no nothing. all i can do is use task manager to do basic stuff but i cant fix it cuz i cant get into my settings or control panel. i can surf the web thankfully but plz help me. Thankyou

sounds like your profile got hosed.. See if you canlog in as admin or another use and recreate a new account for yourself and copy your old information from c:\documents and settings\user name

yeah i can login as admist, but i cant do nothing but i'll try ur idea. thankyou

originally admin was the user name i was using, i created a new account but it wont work just like admin, but the guest account will work but the internet on it wont. thanks for helpin, plz type replys soon, i miss my computers full functioning power.

okay log back in as the admin and make sure the user you created has admin rights and not user or power user

i created a new account but it still wont work. ive deletedd recent installed programs,defraged the system, and download stuff from microsoft. im completely baffled. plz help, thanks

sounds like the registry is hosed. The only thing to do now if the admin accoutn is broke is to reload windows by booting off the Windows CD and reparing it...you will have to reinstall your programs though. sorry

dangit. okay thanks for all your help.

ummm the computer came with xp already loaded on it, so how do i reinstall it??

ok i have the restore disk and everything. while installing xp, it says i need a file called wanatw4n.sys' and it wants me to browse the system to find it. ive looked for half an hour now, and i dont know where else to look. i cant find it on hard drive nor the xp cd. plz help. thanks

that file is not on my sysytem must be a driver it's looking for. Check your device manager and make sure there are no exclamation points

at this moment im stuck in the setup, and im useing a difrent computer to surf the web. each time i load up the laptop it comes to the setup process. thanks

may have to take it to gateway to have them load it up. sorry I hate non-standard stuff
mad.gif

MAn!! wish i was there.. i'd be able to help u well I guess its too late.. CCGR's got a point.. non-standard computers with extra stuffs like gateway, dell aren't so well as the one you've built cuz it's holding stuffs that you'll never need.

To format: Insert the Windows XP cd to the cd-rom drive (assumming its cd bootable..) then restart the computer. When the screen goes on again, Go in to the Motherboard Bios menu. (mostly done with Del key, sometimes F1 key) Go to boot sequence section, and make the first one Cd-Rom. Save and get out to restart. There will be a message coming out before booting to Windows saying. Press Any key to boot from CD... press any key as it tells you so. Then it'll enter the setup and it'll go through everything. Be sure to back up ur files before you do any kind of formatting cuz when you format or delete the partition, all files will be lost.

That was the long explanation of How-to-format
smile.gif
hope it helped

Back