Mr.Confuesed

ROADBLOCK15

Hey guys roadblock hear i am geting confuesed about if call of duty is a game i should play? now i love call of duty and im pretty good at it and all my friends play it but....should i play it? my mom does not like it and my dad really doeset care but...should i care? i mean one of the ten comaments is "thou shall not kill"
so what should i do?:confused:

A quote from the wiki because it writes it out better than I'd type it...

You shall not murder (Hebrew לֹא תִּרְצָח lo tirṣaḥ) (sometimes translated as You shall not kill (KJV) or Thou shalt not kill (LXX; οὐ φονεύσεις), is a moral imperative included as one of the Ten Commandments in the Torah,[1] specifically Exodus 20:13 and Deuteronomy 5:17.

The imperative is against unlawful killing resulting in bloodguilt.[2] The Hebrew Bible contains numerous prohibitions against unlawful killing, but also allows for justified killing in the context of warfare, capital punishment, and self-defense.

Thou shall not kill is against unlawful killing. If it literary meant "any killing" Christians could not have military, police officers, anyone practice self defense or the ancient Israelites fighting. We could not even eat anything because we kill both plants and animals so we can consume them.

So I would ask myself do the games I play promote unlawful killing. Does it glorify unlawful actions (cough, cough, GTA)? Some games can effect people differently too. Does playing it personally heighten a lust for real violence in you? It is the context of an action that makes sin a sin, that differentiates between self-defense and murder, between fighting to protect people and relishing in blood-lust, between having fun with friends and trolling helpless newbies.

I'm not going to give you a simple yes or no on COD. It is good you have sought another Christian's wisdom but this alone is not a substitute for growing in a personal relationship with God. As one makes mistakes you are right to seek another person's wisdom but other people will get things wrong as well. Pray, read the Bible and think about these things in addition to asking others. Some come to our forums wanting a simple approval for their actions. As we are a game forum, which plays some violent games, they expect an automatic free pass.

Never stop asking earnest questions of others and yourself though :) .

Last edited:
(Exodus 20:13 in the King James Bible reads as "Thou shalt not kill" not "You shall not kill" as listed by the wiki) Public FYI

With that out of the way, there are two issues that need to be addressed in your question.

First is How do you feel the Holy Spirit is leading you on this issue? - If you are saved, the Holy Spirit may guide you out of or away from things that are not black and white biblical issues. Paul covered the issue pretty well when he discussed eating meat offered to idols. It may be permissible but it may not be profitable for you or the people around you who know you are a Christian. Pray and see where the Holy Spirit leads you but if you're already questioning it, the Holy Spirit may have already spoken.

The second issue is What do your parents tell you about it. You mentioned your mother doesn't like it. The first commandment with promise is Honor thy Father and Mother that your days may be long upon the earth. If your mother doesn't like it and you do it anyway, is that really showing her honor?

Just a couple things to think about.

(Exodus 20:13 in the King James Bible reads as "Thou shalt not kill" not "You shall not kill" as listed by the wiki) Public FYI

Yeah wikis can be wrong too just like people :) . It was just easier to cut/paste that than write it all out.

Last edited:
..........and all my friends play it but........

If all your friends jumped off a bridge? It also would make me wonder(if I was you), are these the type of friends that help me grow in Christ?

Sorry, I had to go there, 39yo dad with 4 kids.

Back