Mother's health problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is CGA's rules about me using this post to, eventually, post a memoriam message? I figure I should make sure it's okay before doing it. And, by the time I have something, I'll, hopefully, get a yay or nay.
That is perfectly fine. Please let us know if there's anything we can do to help you and your family in addition to prayer (though prayer is still highly valued!).

There isn't much new information. I discovered that she has a lung aneurysm or embolism. Don’t remember the exact work. But, I didn't hear pulmonary embolism. She was going to start chemo soon. However, there were past delays, reschedules, and doctors not showing up. But, hopefully, it will start next Monday. Also, we’re concerned about the insurance.

She has started exercising 3 hours a day at the rehab. I think she’s been doing it for a while. Also, I heard that the rehab will take care of shuttling her to and from the chemo place. So, we won’t have to worry about that anymore. My sister is focused on providing my mother with entertainment as well as knowing what exercises she will be doing.

Along with a number of household duties, I’m currently focused on helping my dad cope with all of this. As such, I've been providing him with entertainment that helps him get his mind off of everything. Of course, that doesn't help him with a cough he has from allergies. The cough isn't as bad as the fact that he’s been coughing for so many weeks that I think his chest has started to hurt.

Of course, the best part for me is that her room is nothing like the hospital so I’m more comfortable with sitting in there. But, that doesn't help with the fact that there really isn’t much I can do or talk about. I just come along because my dad wants us all to be together (I don’t think he had a good childhood).

Edit:
My dad just told me this tonight:
My mom was able to move her leg on her own. She didn’t even think about it.

The rehab center will discharge her on the 9th. She will go by periodically for physical fitness therapy.

Last edited:
Aside from my mother having cancer (or whatever PNET is), my dad has been sick for a few months. Whatever he had, he gave it to me over the weekend. Tonight, I gave it to my sister. So, I’ll be taking on her chores as well as tending to her. But, what’s of more concern is that my mom started chemo today and my dad said she had the sniffles.

My mother had her first chemo treatment last Monday. However, getting into the week, she caught something. We don't know if it's a cold or the flu. Bottom line, she has almost no white blood cells to fight off the infection. She was transfered to our larger methodist hospital so that she could be put in isolation. According to information, they have given her everything they could to fight off the infection. So, now, we just wait.

My mother’s white blood cell count has been rising. First, it barely registered. Then, rising each day this week, .1, .2, 1.1, and tonight it is 3.8. I am told that 3 is optimum so that she can continue chemo. However, she has a problem staying still for too long. So, they have to put her in restraints to keep her still. So, she just needs to relax so that she can continue to fight off the infection.

By the way, I heard something about the bug being tuberculosis. They don’t know where it came from. But, because it’s dangerous, they had to call a number of important organizations, like the CDC, the surgeon general, and I’m sure others. Furthermore, there was the danger of a number of organizations having to be quarantined until they could pinpoint the source. Fortunately, they did a sweep and all the organizations were given a clean bill of health.

My grandfather's memorial service was today. I discovered a bunch of things about him that I never knew. However, I think those things were more along the line of not wanting to brag about smoking. He changed after those things and wanted to be remembered as a Godly man. I've been working on a memorial message for him. It isn't so much a memory as much as my attempt to carry on something about him

In remembering my grandfather, there was one thing that he made that we all looked forward to every Christmas: Grandpa’s special syrup. I don’t know exactly when I decided to start trying to figure out the recipe. I just decided to take it upon myself to figure it out so that it wouldn’t be forgotten. I asked several people for it and the farthest it got was my mom telling me she had the recipe. I figured that that would be good enough at the time. So, I let it go.

Then, I find out that my grandfather and my mother are both sick from some type of cancer. At that point, I start thinking to myself, What are the chances that, if I don’t knuckle down on this, the recipe will be lost? So, I started passing around emails to all my relatives hoping that someone would send me back something. It wasn’t until I went to the store to get waffle and syrup ingredients that I ran into my grandmother. I quickly ask her what I would need for the recipe and she gives me some ingredients. She also offers to email me the recipe if I email her. (The thing is I already had.) So, by afternoon, she emailed me the recipe.

I knew that I was going to make a test batch to make sure I could figure out how to do all this. There was no set time for cooking everything. So, I knew that the first few tries might end in disaster. Then, I was told that my grandfather passed away. That set my resolve that I was going to learn how to make syrup and waffles no matter what.

I make the waffle batter, start with the recommended portion, and put it in the griddle. One note I found said that I should put it in for 5 minutes. I could do that. I live by exact measurements. But, at around the 1:30 mark, the light on the griddle goes out. So, I open it up. The waffle split in half sticking to the top and bottom of the griddle. Obviously, I’m going to need some cooking spray.

Attempt #2: I spray cooking spray on the top and bottom of the griddle and pour in the recommended portion. I wait several minutes and open the griddle. This time, it came out intact. Although, it was a little small and it looks a little well done. I rip off a little bit and eat it. It doesn’t taste bad. It’s just…extra crisp.

Attempt #3: I found somewhere that I should wait until there is no steam left and then open it. So, I spray the cooking oil, I put in a larger portion than before, then let it cook until it didn’t steam anymore. I open the griddle and pull up the waffle. It’s rather limp this time. After pulling it out, I taste it and it taste more like what a waffle should taste like. I just made waffles! I got 5 made out of that batch.

Now, there was the matter of tackling the syrup. Interestingly, I found out that it was a Mennonite recipe my grandfather got from a Mennonite friend of his. So, it’s not as unique as I thought it was. However, it was simpler than the Mennonite vanilla syrup recipes I was finding online. The directions were pretty straight forward: flour and sugar in a pan; then add boiling water, vanilla extract, and butter and slowly bring it to a boil while stirring. I stirred it until it got to a consistency that I liked. I poured that into a container then poured it on some waffles. As for how it tasted…Well, I liked it.

My dad was told to go to the hospital around 3:00pm today. I don’t have any details except that she’s not doing well and needs a miracle.

There's something I'd like to say to everyone on this forum. Although, I don't know how many will read it. But, it, especially, goes out to everyone who has ever prayed for someone else:

I like having friends. I'll admit that I have a hard time keeping up with them (of course, part of that has to do with them having their own lives to live). But, knowing that they're there means a lot to me. I thought about the fact that we can friend each other on the forums. Plus, the fact that this is a Christian forum means that there's a lesser likelyhood of a cold rejection as compared to what can happen on Facebook. But, whether we friend each other on the forum or even ever meet IRL (aside from the rapture), I'm thankful for each and everyone of you.

There's something I'd like to say to everyone on this forum. Although, I don't know how many will read it. But, it, especially, goes out to everyone who has ever prayed for someone else:

I like having friends. I'll admit that I have a hard time keeping up with them (of course, part of that has to do with them having their own lives to live). But, knowing that they're there means a lot to me. I thought about the fact that we can friend each other on the forums. Plus, the fact that this is a Christian forum means that there's a lesser likelyhood of a cold rejection as compared to what can happen on Facebook. But, whether we friend each other on the forum or even ever meet IRL (aside from the rapture), I'm thankful for each and everyone of you.

I've been following your story. Having an ill mother myself your situation hits pretty close to home so it's one of those IDK what to say things for me. For us regulars to the forums I'm sure they are undoubtedly caring, concerned and want to support you in any way the forum/time allows. However make sure not to use the forums as a substitute for drawing closer to real friends and family. We do care but I'm well familiar with the limits of what virtual relationships can be. We'll lend an empathetic ear to your thoughts for as long as it helps but virtual hugs just aren't the same as the real deal :) .

...and as always keep praying! :)

Last edited:
I've been following your story. Having an ill mother myself your situation hits pretty close to home so it's one of those IDK what to say things for me. For us regulars to the forums I'm sure they are undoubtedly caring, concerned and want to support you in any way the forum/time allows. However make sure not to use the forums as a substitute for drawing closer to real friends and family. We do care but I'm well familiar with the limits of what virtual relationships can be. We'll lend an empathetic ear to your thoughts for as long as it helps but virtual hugs just aren't the same as the real deal :) .

...and as always keep praying! :)
Sorry to hear that about your mom. But, I'm glad you understand where I'm coming from.

You know, it’s interesting that you say that. After I got the good news about my mom and told my sister, I offered to hug her and she wasn’t interested (even though she’s been affected by this whole experience, she hasn’t felt affected enough to be closer to some of us). But, just as I was about to leave, I put my foot down and said, “No. I am not leaving this room until we hug. We have just been through a traumatic experience and, regardless of your comfort level, we are brother and sister and we need to get closer because of this.”

Later on, when my grandmother invited us to come over to her house (well, retirement apartment), my sister didn’t want to go. So, we didn't make her. However, instead of leaving it at that, when we got there, I suggested that one of the other females in the family talk to her on the phone. They took it one step further and two of them offered to drive over there and have some woman on woman time with her. A few hours later, when we got home and they left, I talked to my sister and she said that she just needed a female to talk to about this. Now she’s doing much better.

Last edited:
I have a better story about what happened to my mom today. In our family, we are affected by changes in the weather. Sometimes, all it is is just a runny nose. Other times, we have a hard time breathing. Well, the weather changed and I'm assuming her heart and lungs were having trouble coping. Had this been any other time, it would have blown over. Instead, it caused her vitals to drop. It didn't help that she was panicking in the hospital as well (I heard something about ADT). This was going on for several hours. Finally, her body relaxed, she stopped panicking, and her vitals stabilized. Furthermore, because her white blood cells are high enough, she is no longer on the white blood cell medication they were giving her. Now, I don't know if that means she's rid of the bug that she had. But, I'm assuming her body is getting strong enough to fight it.

Last edited:
My mother is improving. Because she has reached a certain level of improvement, they have altered her medication. But, the main problem is that she has a rapid heart beat...I'm asuming because she's nervouse or restless. If she could calm down, she could get well faster.

Also, my dad told us that the staff are touched by her presence to the point of saying that she didn't belong there. The doctor, himself, commented that he could tell that she is a gentle soul. Obviously, her being there touches a lot of lives.

But, just like I would never wish my own traumatic experiences on anyone (even if it made me stronger), you don't need TB and cancer to be able to touch other people.

Speaking of, I can officially confirm that the bug she caught a week or two ago was tuberculosis.

My mother is steadily improving day after day. The one new bit of information I would have is that she had TB and another bug. But, I'm getting bits and pieces here and there. So, it's not really new news. All we know for sure is that she got the TB from one of the hospitals she was at. However, I have a more pressing issue.

My dad is getting paranoid. He expects us to take large doses of vitamin C a day. In his mind, we will stop getting cancer as long as we intake large doses of vitamin C. This is based on experimentation done by Linus Pauling and another guy (I can't remember his name) who are both responsible for discovering DNA. The final thing Pauling said about it was that humans should intake 10,000 mg of vitamin C a day. Well, I've also done my own research and discovered that too much vitamin C can produce side effects, like diarrhea. Well, diarrhea can be a symptom of some other sickness. As such, I won't be able to tell if I'm sick or if it's just the Vitamin C. For example (not to be too personal or graphic), I'm already having digestive problems which are probably due to stress.

Also, putting that aside, I know two very important things about cancer (this isn't to scare anyone, it's just information):
1) We already have cancerous cells in our bodies that our immune systems are fighting on a daily basis. Some of us are just better at fighting those cancerous cells than other are.
2) Everyone has a 1% chance of getting cancer some time in our lives, no matter how healthy we live. However, that doesn't mean that it will happen.

So, along with praying for my mom, it would be nice if you could pray for my dad so that he can have some peace of mind.

I've gotten new information about my mom. I think she had to be resuscitated. Also, they say her kidneys are shutting down. They can give her medication to help her kidneys. But, she's already got a build-up of potassium and if she could pee she would do much better.

My mother passed away today. There were just way too many complications because of different infections, bugs, and the TB that her body just couldn't fight anymore. I suppose fingers could be pointed at the medical community for not catching certain things at certain times. But, at the end of the day, does it really matter?

My mother’s name was Elizabeth Rene Cook
She is survived by
Her husband: Wayne Robert Cook
Her daughters: Jennifer Rose ‘Cook’ Widner and Catherine Robin Cook
And me, her son: Clinton Roger Cook

I’ve had mixed emotions throughout the night. The one emotion I have found myself feeling I equate to another experience I’ve had. Have you ever played a video game and, despite how hard you try, you can’t get past a certain section and you get frustrated and fed up ending up in “Game Over”? That’s how this makes me feel. We were fighting this and, despite how hard we tried, we ended up in “Game Over”.

However, there is a bright side to this. While she was in the hospital, the doctors and nurses were affected by her presence. Also, as my dad was gathering me and my younger sister together (I named her second), he told us that he wanted us to be closer together. We didn’t’ have to leave, we could stay as long as we want, and everything he said in anger for however long he did, he was sorry and asked for forgiveness.

I don’t know if there can be any more said on this forum post. The one thing that came to my mind this evening is that all her knowledge of cooking I was working towards learning is gone. Then again, most of the stuff she learned was from cook books, ready-made foods she bought from the store, or she just knew that certain foods tasted good together if done right. So, even if I don’t cook the same way she did, I’m sure it will taste good anyways.

Bottom line, as much as I didn’t want her to go, knowing that she’s finally at peace, I’m okay with “Game Over”.

Sometimes it is almost a relief when a long fought battle ends in death. When it is a Christian who dies it can be more than a relief, because we know they have gone home. As you and your family work through the grief keep praying, and looking to the good memories. We most assuradly know that one day all grief, pain, and confusion will pass.
Revelation 21:1-6
New King James Version (NKJV)
All Things Made New

21 Now I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away. Also there was no more sea. 2 Then I, John,[a] saw the holy city, New Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. 3 And I heard a loud voice from heaven saying, “Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and He will dwell with them, and they shall be His people. God Himself will be with them and be their God. 4 And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes; there shall be no more death, nor sorrow, nor crying. There shall be no more pain, for the former things have passed away.”

5 Then He who sat on the throne said, “Behold, I make all things new.” And He said to me, “Write, for these words are true and faithful.”

6 And He said to me, “It is done![c] I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. I will give of the fountain of the water of life freely to him who thirsts.

I don't know how I'd deal with losing my parents. I could only give it to God and trust in him. Death comes to everyone what hope does anyone have without Christ?

I'll keep praying for your family.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back