May 1st 2005

RED

Telling Our Story*

Read John 1:6-18

The Word became flesh and lived among us, and we have seen his glory.
-John 1:14 (NRSV)

RECENTLY I was in a group where Christian leaders from many nations discussed whether "to know" or "to believe" has the stronger meaning. The apostle Paul, using the language of faith, said, "I know in whom I have believed." How did he know? For Paul, believing in Christ as the center of his faith was an experience of the heart.
When the foundations of our security are threatened and there seems no place to hide, we search for something to hold on to. Christians around the world present an answer better than bombs and bullets. They are building or reopening churches that offer hope and healing in the spirit of Christ. Their witness, often in the presence of persecution, is that there is One who is greater than force, diplomacy, or any other human solution.
What better gift can we give others than to share our "faith" stories? Every Christian has a personal story. What is the most meaningful thing God has done for you? Someone somewhere needs to hear your story and mine. If we commit ourselves to telling our individual stories, God will make sure our paths cross the paths of those who are ready to hear.
James O. Thurmond (Kentucky, U.S.A.)

Prayer:
O God, give us the courage to tell others about your work in our lives. Nurture our faith with your love and grace. Amen.

Back