Majoring in Computer Science

MeridianFlight

I was wondering if I could get opinions on majoring in computer science. After reading posts on the board for a while it appears as if several people here are familiar with the field in some way. I'd greatly appreciate opinions anyone has on majoring in Computer Science or possibly choosing a vocation within the field for a career, especially from a Christian perspective. Even a "Dude, no, all the jobs are India now." would be cool. Thanks.

the thing with computer science that i wasnt able to consider going into that program was you need ALOT of math skills which i dont have.....

Computer Science will always be a sound career. Having said that, depending on where you live, expect to move after graduation. Some people aren't willing to move to advance their careers, others are. I don't know if that's an option for you, or if there are plenty of computer oriented jobs in your current area.

I majored in computer science for two years (never got my degree, had to resign from university for medical reasons :( ). The field is always looking for new Computer Programmers. As was mentioned above, you will be doing LOTS of math, so if you hate math, then I would not recommend Computer Science. If this isn't a problem, then go for it.

Hope this helps somewhat in your decision.

edit - another thing I noticed while attending university was that a lot of people LIKED the idea of computer science, but just Could NOT get the hang of computer programming no matter how hard they tried. They flunked out of the courses. I was always a tech head, so I found the programming to be the easy part. *shrug*

How much experience do you already have with mathematics and programming languages? That would helps us better to guide you.

Last edited:
Yeah. I want to either be an archaeologist (I LOVE history), or a Compy Programmer. Since I like both concepts, but hate math... well, you know.

My degree is in computer information systems, and I am an applications developer. To receive my degree, I had to take algebra, business calculus, and discrete math I. The Comp Sci degree has a couple of other high level maths in addtion to this.

Now, because I'm not doing game programming, OS's or other low level programs, I don't need much math or physics. I use more logic than math. Likewise, good programmers are creative people as well. This is something most guidance councilors won't tell you, as they speak more on the math and logic skills needed. But a good programmer will be creative enough to come up with new and creative solutions to problems.

Remember, that is the programmers jobs, to transform the customer's requirements into a piece of software. Coming up with creative solutions for the problems is one of the hardest parts of my job.

The best thing is to take an initial programming course to see if you like it, and to see if you could sit in front of a computer screen for hours straight. It is one thing to game for hours at a time, but another to sit at the screen creatively solving logic problems.

I cant program for hours at a time. I'm starting a computer science degree, but I will be moving away from that. I cant stand that, programming, I dont have the patience for it, I already know that, and yes the math is A LOT. I'm in calculus now, and I know I cant do any math higher than that, because computer science and/or engineering require high level math classes.

Computer Science is over kill if you do not want to program. I have seen a lot of people who just wanted to be technitions, system admins or network engineers go into CS and get frustrated spending a lot of time and money on a degree they will not use in their fields much. Someone interested in those types of positions would probably be better served with an Electronics Engineering degree.

But if you want to learn programming, databasing and project management then CS is a good choice.

I would agree with Kidan, creativity and logical thinking is a requirement. From 6 years in the programming field, I will throw in a few other things.

You need to be able to work well under pressure. It is not unusual for scope creep or technical issues to happen that will push a project right upto its scheduled release or the system dies and everyone looks at your for a reason why.

You need to be able to make sound decisions. Making long term decisions accurately is very important. Not being able to anticipate things into the future is a big killer of projects.

You need to be able to manage the expectations of your clients. Promise the world in only two weeks and you will find more grey hairs popping out of your head then you thought possible (if it doesn't just fall out from the stress and lack of sleep). Then feel the pain when you don't deliver. But if you keep your clients informed, deal with scope creep head on and deliver what you told them you were going to deliver then you will have a happy client.

Thanks everyone for your responses.

Concerning how much experience I have with programming, I don't have any. I'd be starting off as a complete n00b. I've heard that programming can be monotonous and draining.

IceBladePOD said:
Thanks everyone for your responses.

Concerning how much experience I have with programming, I don't have any. I'd be starting off as a complete n00b. I've heard that programming can be monotonous and draining.

Hmm, I'd say "yes" and also "no" to that. It's difficult to weigh. Certain languages are easier than others. I recommend you pick up a student copy of Visual Basic.NET, and Visual Basic.NET for Dummies, and see how well you pick up the actual code (not the drag & drop GUI, any monkey can do that). My Visual Basic "Bible", if you will, is "Mastering Visual Basic.Net" by Evangelos Petroutsos and published by Sybex. It is an AWESOME book, but be forewarned, it is HUGE. It could be overwhelming for a beginner, but it is really a great text when it comes to VB.NET I wouldn't recommend anything else.

But to honestly prepare you for a real job, you need to familiarize yourself with C++. Yes, you can find Visual Basic programming jobs, but C++ is where its at. I believe there are even some free compilers you can dowload online for C++ coding (google it, and I'm sure you'll find something if it exists). Then pick up a beginner's guid to C++ such as C++ For Dummies, or something that starts out with the very basics.

I SERIOUSLY recommend you dabble in programming BEFORE entering your Computer Science major. If you can't stomach programming at all, or have a difficult time dealing with logic operators and mathematics, then you may want to consider a different career path.

If you have no interest in programming, then I would follow the advice of Plankeye (Electronics Engineering degree).

If you think you might like programming (it is very rewarding to witness the fruits of your labor), then more power to you, but I would recommend familiarizing yourself with it before making a decision.

One thing I found in University, is that you need to teach yourself a LOT of stuff outside of the classroom to have an edge in the job market. There's just so much material, and it isn't all taught in the classroom....another reason why many students failed while I was in college.

Hope this helps. God Bless.

-Stormfury

Last edited:
Back