Level 66 Ice Mage

Durruck

Pirate!
Here is my current spec at 66 (er, what I want it to be. I misclicked something and I haven't bothered to fix it yet, but it's what I'd recommend, none-the-less).

The largest advantages are:

Survivability - ice barrier mitigates a lot of damage. Ice block saves your tushy in instances when you overnuke. Yes, it can happen.

Mana Efficiency - lots of potential damage, little mana cost.

Sustained damage - No, you won't get that 3k crit that a fire mage will pull down with pyroblast, but with the right gear, you can achieve ~20% critical strike chance, and with 100% damage increase, dps stays high. Compound the base crit% with Empowered Frostbolts, Shatter, Winter's Chill, and you've got some serious crit potential.

Best of all? Frost mages get a little burst damage love. The new L66 spell called Ice Lance. Whoa. ~200 base damage, 400-600 crit... which doesn't seem like a very good spell. At first, I agreed - but I was using it wrong. This is a horrible spell to cast if you're just trying to nuke down something that is running at you. However, against a frozen target, not only do you have the 60% critrate (with talents, plus your base gear), the spell actually triples in damage against frozen targets... all with an instant cast, no cooldown spell! I popped out 4 consecutive crit lances on 1 frostnova'd mob, each for 1400-1650 damage. We're talking nearly 6k damage in just over 3 seconds. Ice Lance doesn't replace frostbolt for your standard casting, but if you see a frostbite proc, cancel and spam lance!

Beware the ice mage!

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.

Figured I would chime in here, to maybe lend a hand or stir the pot, whatever you want to call it. :)

A few talent points that I would recommend would be 2/2 in Ice Floes and 1/1 in Water Elemental. Why these? While questing, I've found that the few extra seconds off of the cooldown of Ice Barrier helps a TON. This is especially true when pulling two mobs and Frost Nova is still on Cooldown. Why Water Elemental? I've found it good to use when you are low on mana. It's better to cast the water elemental if you accidentilly pulled a mob when you have low mana and let the pet do, and take, the damage. This allows you to cast Evocation, get your mana up, and kill the mob.

One other thing I would recommend is not putting points into Magic Absorbtion while leveling. I'm planning on a more arcane based build once raiding and instances take over the majority of my time. Then, Magic Absorbtion will come into play. Until then, I'd recommend only going with 10 points into the Arcane Tree to max Frost damage.

What I currently have at level 68: 10/0/49

Level 70 questing/grinding build: 10/0/51

Level 70 Raiding/Instance build: 40/0/21

Back