letter from a friend

aka Ash

Here is a part of an e-mail that i recieved from one of the best PvPers I know, I am talking with him to see if he wants to join us. He wants to leave his guild EG (Epic Gladiators) because of language as well as inactivity. If nothing else...I can always get some advice.
His IGN is Maxi Kitti

One thing though, when I GvG the team sets up as a team build with a strategy in mind. By team build I mean all skills and professions must work together. For those people who like W/Mo's they are no good in GvG. People also need to have a variety of skills and professions to work with. This also means you have to have more than 8 people dedicated to GvGing as most people cannot run every build. the fact is you can't win gvg consistently without it. There are only so many character and team builds that work and it depends on what hall you are in. Really except for a HP elemental, Resmer, flag runner or a martyr there shouldn't be anyone except monks with a health. This is very hard to convince people of sometime. The other big thing is monks should not carry a res and everyone else (except resmers (who take another res), Rits and special cases) should carry res signet. I'm not saying they would have to follow whatever I say, just that every skill on every player needs to work together (especially the monks) and the rest is just what I have learned from experience

Would they be willing to let me guest to check things out (I can run whatever build you need except for like 2 necro builds)? Currently I do this for about 3 other guilds when they need an extra person (especially if they need a monk). One is now rank 252 and they still take my advice when they need it and I GvG with them more often than I GvG with EG. This would let me and they know what they are getting and you would still get what advice I have. I'll check out the site. For now I guess I will talk with you later. Maybe catch you online sometime. Also If I go to your guild I will get the build posts I have on the EG site so I can move them over for your guild to look at. I pretty much have every monk build that is any good posted (except sb/infuse) along with many ritualist builds for PvP along with many good PvE builds if people are interested. Also I have a Balanced GvG build--complete with skills and attributes for every player--that I have been wanting to try out but the Gladiators haven't been online for a while--me included.

I will post the two builds He gave me next...

Duel Smite—tested with good results—
We need 2 Chosen from the Following

Attributes for all Warriors
Hammer/Axe/Sword 16(12+3+1)
Air 3
Strength Everything Else

W/E—Axe Shock
Eviscerate
Executioners Strike
Furious Axe/Axe Rake ?
Frenzy
Bull’s Strike
Sprint
Shock
Resurrection Signet

W/N—Hammer (Hammer Warrior wouldnt run shock)
Devastating Hammer
Crushing Blow
Migthy Hammer
Frenzy
Bull’s Strike
Sprint
Plauge Touch
Resurrection Signet

W/E—Sword Shock
Dragon Slash
Galarath Slash
Final Thrust
Frenzy
Bull’s Strike
Sprint
Shock
Resurrection Signet

R/W—Thumper

Hammer Mastery 12 (base)
Beast Mastery 10 or 11 (8+1+1)
Expertise - the rest +1+1

Irresistable Blow
Backbreaker
Crushing Blow
Tigers Fury
Disrupting lunge/bextial mauling/melandrus assult
Charm Animal
Comfort Animal
Res Sig

** Dont waste your time healing your pet with comfort animal, use it once they are dead to return it to life with 80% HP

3&4
Then we need 2 smiters with this build. You do need a smite helm, major smite rune and major divine favor.

Mo/Me
Smite—15 (12+2+1)
Divine— ~10
Protection— ~10
Dominatio-- ~3
Air of Enchantment
Balthezar’s Aura
Hex Breaker
Zealot’s Fire
Reversal of Fortune
Prot Spirit ---- other monk would run spirit bond
Smite Hex
Guardian?

Here again I think we need a couple options.
E/Mo—Ice hexer running Ether Prodigy and Heal Party
R/Rt—Running Cripple, poison and Flesh of my Flesh

6. Mo/Me--boon/prot/gift
Inspirtation Magic - 10
Protection Prayers - 11 (9+2)
Healing Prayers - 8 (7+1)
Divine Favor - 13 (10 + 1 + 2)

Reversal of Fortune
Gift of Health
Guardian
Mend Condition
Inspired Hex
Divine Boon
Mantra of Recall (Elite)
Contemplation of Purity

7. Mo/Me--boon/prot
Inspirtation Magic - 10
Protection Prayers - 12 (10+2)
Divine Favor - 14 (11 + 1 + 2)

Reversal of Fortune
Protective Spirit
Guardian/Remove Hex
Mend Condition
Inspired Hex
Divine Boon
Mantra of Recall (Elite)
Contemplation of Purity

8. E/Mo Runner--can be ranger runner with apply poison and cripling shot
Air Magic - 15 (12+1+2)
Energy Storage 10 (9+1)
Water Magic - 5 (4+1)

Windborne Speed
Blinding Flash
Lightning Orb
Lightning Strike
Deep Freeze
Ether Prodigy
Healing Breeze
Heal Party

Balanced--untested
1. W/A--Hammer
Hammer - 16 (12+1+3)
Strength - 13 (12+1)
Shadow Arts - 3

Devastating Hammer
Crushing Blow
Fierce Blow
Frenzy
Sprint
Bulls Strike
Deaths Charge
Res Sig

2. W/E--Shock
Axe/Sword – 16 (12+1+3)
Strength – 13 (12+1)
Air - 3

Eviscerate/Dragon Slash
Executioners Strike/Galrath Slash
Furious Axe or Axe Rake/Final Thrust
Frenzy
Bull’s Strike
Sprint
Shock
Resurrection Signet

3. Me/E

Fast Casting - 12 (11+1)
Domination Magic - 15 (12+1+3)
Air - 5

Energy Surge
Energy Burn
Signet of Weariness
Shame
Unatural Signet
Diversion
Gale
Res Sig

4. N/Me

Blood 15 (12+2+1)
Death - ~10 – major rune
Soul Reaping ~10 – minor rune
Inspiration - rest

Barb Signet
Vampiric Gaze
Shadow Strike
Drain Enchantment
Inspired Enchantment
Well of Suffering
Blood is Power
Res Sig

5. Rt/Any—Rit lord or E/Mo-Warder

Restorative - 12 (10+2) Earth 15 (12+2+1)
Communing - 13 (10+2+1) Energy Storage 9 (8+1)
Spawning Power - 13 (11+2) Healing 10

Ruptured Soul Ward Against Foes
RecuperationWard Against Melee
Soothing Aftershock/Ward Against Elements
Union Earth Quake/Dragon Stomp
Shelter Earth Attunement
Ritulual Lord Ether Prodigy
Boon of Creation Heal Party
Flesh of My Flesh/Lively Was Naomi Res Sig

6. Mo/Me--boon/prot/gift
Inspirtation Magic - 10
Protection Prayers - 11 (9+2)
Healing Prayers - 8 (7+1)
Divine Favor - 13 (10 + 1 + 2)

Reversal of Fortune
Gift of Health
Guardian
Mend Condition
Inspired Hex
Divine Boon
Mantra of Recall (Elite)
Contemplation of Purity

7. Mo/Me--boon/prot
Inspirtation Magic - 10
Protection Prayers - 12 (10+2)
Divine Favor - 14 (11 + 1 + 2)

Reversal of Fortune
Protective Spirit
Guardian/Remove Hex
Mend Condition
Inspired Hex
Divine Boon
Mantra of Recall (Elite)
Contemplation of Purity

8. E/Mo Runner--can be ranger runner with apply poison and cripling shot
Air Magic - 15 (12+1+2)
Energy Storage 10 (9+1)
Water Magic - 5 (4+1)

Windborne Speed
Blinding Flash
Lightning Orb
Lightning Strike
Deep Freeze
Ether Prodigy
Healing Breeze
Heal Party

That's awesome. We'll have to try it out sometime.

Anyway, I'm on my way out the door to head home now, so I'll be on later if we want to see about pulling a team together tonight.

Just a few comments regarding your friend: first, he sounds like an outstanding player, but even if he wasn't he'd be welcome to join us if he is a Christian and is willing to join ToJ. Second, our guild has a couple of members already who are skilled and experienced PvP players, and who also have some experience working with high-ranked groups. These guys have been working for quite some time to help raise the bar of excellence for our guild in PvP, and I have no doubt they will appreciate the help, advice and particularly the participation of your friend in PvP events. However, your friend obviosly has developed some very strong opinions about PvP, and some of the language of his email to you comes off as a bit inflexible to my ears...aka, PvP HAS to be done this way or that way. This may just be my perception and of course it is fine for him to have those opinions, but I hope he does not expect the rest of us to share all of them and to defer to them in regards to our PvP events. I'm not saying he WOULD expect that, I'd just recommend that you make sure he's ok with the fact that we've got people already who run PvP, run it well, and who would expect him to participate just like everyone else under the leadership of our own officers and PvP leaders.

I don't have time right now to look at those builds in detail, but I definitely will tonight. Please thank your friend for sharing them.

Paul

Just a few comments regarding your friend: first, he sounds like an outstanding player, but even if he wasn't he'd be welcome to join us if he is a Christian and is willing to join ToJ. Second, our guild has a couple of members already who are skilled and experienced PvP players, and who also have some experience working with high-ranked groups. These guys have been working for quite some time to help raise the bar of excellence for our guild in PvP, and I have no doubt they will appreciate the help, advice and particularly the participation of your friend in PvP events. However, your friend obviosly has developed some very strong opinions about PvP, and some of the language of his email to you comes off as a bit inflexible to my ears...aka, PvP HAS to be done this way or that way. This may just be my perception and of course it is fine for him to have those opinions, but I hope he does not expect the rest of us to share all of them and to defer to them in regards to our PvP events. I'm not saying he WOULD expect that, I'd just recommend that you make sure he's ok with the fact that we've got people already who run PvP, run it well, and who would expect him to participate just like everyone else under the leadership of our own officers and PvP leaders.

I don't have time right now to look at those builds in detail, but I definitely will tonight. Please thank your friend for sharing them.

Paul

Oh I absolutely agree with you. We have some Very experienced players. And I thought the same thing as you did about the wording, so I am not sure about possible conflict, He knows I am completely inexperienced in PvP, so he may just be trying to tell me some things...since he was writing to me...not the guild. (but...Pride cometh before the fall, and he does seem prideful)...

But the reason for posting this letter was that these builds looked pretty good...and I wasn't going to take credit for them. At the least I should be able to get some more builds from him. It couldn't hurt. Right?

dont milk him for builds, thats just mean...

bring up the discussion of wether he is happy in his guild. doesnt hurt to talk about it.

Well no...I wouldn't lead him on. But if he decides not to join us, and I ask for advice, and he sends me more builds, then all is cool. And he is not happy in his guild, but is very a competitive player...and almost never PvE's anymore.

(bored with it for the most part. One of the first people that "took me under their wings" and helped me out tremendously, without judging me as a n00b. I haven't talked with him in a couple of months until he looked me up and asked about our guild, knowing I left (The Epic Alliance) and joined a Christian Guild.)

I also want to apologize.
I got the feeling that some people felt (maybe my wording convicted me...hehe) that I was implying we NEED help. That was not my purpose at all. We have some extremely knowledgeable people. (Paul and Andrew for sure, probably more but I haven't dealt with the knowledge of others) I saw someone with a talent, a good person, not happy in their guild, and thought we might use them in our guild. 2 minds are better than 1, 4 better than 2, 8 better than 4, etc. I am so clueless when it comes to PvP that it is not funny (actually it is funny). If I put a little more time and effort into it, I would probably be pretty good myself.
So if I offended anyone, again I apologize.

Last edited:
Well, I guess we'll hold off on stringing you up by your toes and pummeling you with an organic carrot...THIS TIME. But next time you try to be helpful, watch out.

I got the feeling that some people felt (maybe my wording convicted me...hehe) that I was implying we NEED help.
So if I offended anyone, again I apologize.

It's cool. Hey, if we have an opportunity to get better, we'd be fools not to take it. More experience = higher ranking = grander arena = more people watching = more opportunities to share Jesus.

Well, I guess we'll hold off on stringing you up by your toes and pummeling you with an organic carrot...THIS TIME. But next time you try to be helpful, watch out.

LOL...I guess when I reread it, my wording bothered me...
now...on to something important...
I'm just curious...What is an Inorganic Carrot?

I got the feeling that some people felt (maybe my wording convicted me...hehe) that I was implying we NEED help.

Lol, no need to apologize! Indeed we do need help, but the main help we need is in the form of people able and willing to PARTICIPATE in regular PvP, rather than officiate it, which I know you understand already. I'm glad too that you shared my concerns, because I was afraid I was being a little overly defensive (not for my own sake, because I ain't any PvP guru myself). Again, its fine for your friend to have opinions about how PvP is supposed to work, and like you said he was emailing you and not us. I hope we can work it out to 'guest' him for an upcoming GvG.

Paul

Back