Let's demand better gaming content free of religious propaganda.

RatIron

Hi everyone,

I'm a gamer, first and foremost, and I wanted to say that lately most games seem to feature themes that persecute Christianity or Christians or our shared values, not through PG13 advisories for drinking, mature content, and so forth, but on a religious framework, and are getting rewarded for it! In fact, it seems the gaming industry is on a binge to knock down any Christian anything while hailing anything that goes against it in an effort to, I suppose, seem that they are being neutral? I don't know, I just find that too many games lately that I play, seem to be a slam towards Christianity.

Let's take some for example, so I can illustrate my point a little better.

I bought Assassin's Creed I AND II while it was on sale for 50% off on Steam, I thought great, awesome. The trailers all showed a beat-em up set in Renaissance Italy and even mentioned having Leonardo Davinci as a friend and mentor throughout the game!

What do I get to play instead? I fire up Assassin's Creed 2, and immediately it fires off a 'religious disclaimer', stating that Ubisoft Montreal was made up of 'various religions and cultures'. What? Again, weird thing to read the first time you play a game. Anyway, I brushed it off, and in comes the cutscene. Futuristic, you are not really in Italy but you're experiencing flashbacks and the whole game involves this in order to find certain "artifacts" that a certain group called "The Templars" want to control so that they control the future, or something. In practice, it's like playing the official gaming version of The Davinci Code. Really, I was so upset of spending my limited gaming budget on something that I don't ascribe to, as a theme. Apparently the entire series are like that, and I really have to wonder why, I mean since when did games become this vehicle for religious propaganda?

I could not play through the whole game, but it basically calls miracles as done by machines, and references events without any care as to why there is fighting in the first place. Why would I wanna play something like that? Gosh, sounds more like a nightmare than a game.

I just wish someone had told ME that these games aren't as advertised, so that I could get the idea out of my head of playing in some Italian Renaissance intrigue plot as a perhaps misunderstood, orphaned, and hopelessly guilt ridden assassin, or whatever. Didn't happen.

So, next up, I find the newest edition of King's Bounty: Warriors of the North, and I think, great. I always wanted to play a Viking warrior in the gaming style of Heroes of Might and Magic. So I play it, and everything is great, the setting is great, the action, is pretty fun, until I get to the second island...

There, you meet as part of the main quest, an alchemist called Marrek, and he is referenced as wearing a turban. Well, you can ask him about the turban, and then the character starts referencing it being a gift from the "Sultan", where he worked as his alchemist, and refers to him as a "great warrior", along with the land having a "harem" where every man has two or three wives. I was basically given an Islamic history lesson from a video game about Vikings and Valhalla. What?!

It wasn't even remotely hinted at, you basically to get to that character, get out of your Viking longboat, land on a snowy shore, fight some fantasy dragonflies, and then knock-knock on his door, and you get that, whether the setting allows for it or not. If I wanted to play some quasi-ambiguous "fantasy" game where this is the 'soup de jour', I would have been back playing Assassin's Creed II! So, I'm really starting to wonder what has happened to games, they used to be a break from our everyday lives where we deal with this sort of "thing" if you can call it that, and just relax, have fun, pretend you're somewhere else. When did they become a vehicle to spread religious propaganda?

The worst thing about it, is not only that it was included, but in the manner in which it was depicted, as this honorable thing on par with the Vikings. Again, I wish someone had told ME about such content, so that I would not BUY it. I really would not, I refuse to play a game in which I am put at odds with my principles. It has gotten so bad, that it needs its own sticker on the PG13 and up ratings.

Game companies are not going to care, but if we refuse to partake in that sort of thing by voting with our wallets, they will have to pay better attention or care more about whether or not they include religious topics that may offend, or use particular religious connotations that have such an association with them that they are bound to offend because that is literally what the words "Sultan", "harem", mean. It is not open to interpretation, as other themes in the game are. These are specific connotations related to the rise of Islam. It does not belong in a fantasy game, and if you plan to include it, then put a "religious disclaimer", like Assassin's Creed. Don't do pop-up quiz Islamic history in a fantasy game about giant spiders in a wholly nordic theme.

We, as Christians, have to start saying "NO", to this sort of lambasted movement which is not welcomed. It is not welcomed in a public setting so why should it be welcomed and promoted by the games that we play? Don't they have to conform to some standards, which is greater than alcoholic use or mature content stickers? My goodness, it is not welcomed in spare time activity, and those who do wish to engage in that dialogue do so on their own. In games, you are mostly playing on a company's "good sense", and most of the time, at least lately, this seems to be closer to pro-Islamic connotations as if they are paid to do this. I say NO, and encourage you guys to do the same, and vote with your wallets.

Tell your friends NOT TO BUY these kinds of games, so that they are not continuously made, and each version more lambasted than the predecessor.

There should be a collective awareness of objectionable titles, so that we as consumers, can make an informed decision about our purchases without constantly falling into the same trap. If this is the wrong forum to do so, then I apologize but I feel it is an escalating issue, and as a gamer, and a Christian gamer at that, who doesn't thump their Christianity over the heads of anyone, I and others who don't wish to "lead the charge" so to speak, deserve the same respect in return, without having to ask for it. Yet here we are... We have to demand that we not be persecuted for our morals/beliefs/principles in the games we play, and leave "that stuff" out of our games.

Let "the world" deal with it, but don't make someone's decision for them, whether they want to listen to that or not, and then also rob them of their money to play something else, perhaps with more respect to an individual's sensibilities.

Lastly, another game that deserves the last mention in the category of "Islaming it whether you like it or not", is Shogun 2: Total War. In this game, you cannot be gifted with a richer game tapestry in which to craft your game, and a war game at that! So what do Creative Assembly end up doing? Well, you don't notice it at first, until you get to the sea routes they introduced. Every port you trade with out of Japan, is a "Sultanate this" or a "Sultanate that" I mean EVERY port, you know, forget that whole trading with the Dutch or the Portuguese thing they had in the original game. Islam it up! Say no to this kind of stuff.

Didn't you know? Apparently in feudal Japan, you couldn't even buy incense without trading with a "Sultanate". Forget that whole anti thing they had about foreigners. Apparently Japan couldn't even make their own incense, forget that they are a self sustained society and culture and all that.

And then say an even bigger NO with your wallets.

(Sorry if this ends up as a double post, the original took me too long to write, and ended up 'hanging' without any other information screen, so I have no idea if it went through or not. Hopefully not.)

Deep breaths dude, deep breaths :p .

Welcome to our forums just a friendly FYI but posting a huge post straight off the bat feels of trolling. I'll give you the benefit of a doubt but I'm just saying take it slow and let us get to know you before getting all contentious k :) . I have not played either game but I'm quite certain I know of far, far, far worse games to avoid and get upset over. There is a Christian game review site here if you'd like it.

Welcome again to our forums. Keep it polite and respectful and there won't be a problem :) .

Last edited:
That sounded ominous..
To much? I was going to go with...

Man, like, be mellow and let, like, the rainbows and hugs flow to keep, like, the negative vibes from totally being a bummer on your fellow forum siblings, like.

...but I thought it sounded unprofessional :p . I'll try to split the difference next time.

Last edited:
It seems like you are drawn towards historical games (like myself! :)) yet have a trouble finding that history is full of non-Christians. I'm spending years of my life studying history and specifically an empire that killed and tormented Christians for centuries (Rome), yet I still play Rome: Total War and other historical games that is historically accurate in which Christians are not the "good" guys. That's not to say I go to Jerusalem and burn it down because it's historically accurate, but I personally would have a problem if a game in a historical setting portrayed Christians in a light that is not correct.

Assassin's Creed is absolutely accurate to have Muslims in Jerusalem. They've been there since Mohammed practically. I found great joy in playing AC in which the statement "this game was made by a team with many different faiths." Jerusalem is the great city of the 3 major faiths in the Western World. If AC was made JUST by Christians, or JUST by Jews, it would be a horrible game.

Likewise for Shogun 2. The Mongols did a fantastic job of spreading faiths across their empire, both the Christianity and Islam. It is perfectly natural to trade with sultanites in the Far East as they were heavily influenced with Islamic teachings. Again, if Japan was a Christian nation, we'd have a huge historical problem and the game would be rubbish.

I haven't played the third game you mentioned, but Vikings weren't known to be nice to the Church. They're usual #1 target was a church or abbey as that was the primary building that provided commerce and storage for the surrounding community. Monks defending mounds of valuable supplies? Easy target to me, I'd do it if I were a viking.

But to get to the root of it, more research before you buy a game seems to be needed. Either through reviews like people have listed above or through friends. I know when a new game is released the guys here at CGA are often really good at providing commentary and answering questions. I usually always look up a game here at CGA first and see what everyone says before I go out and buy it. This community is awesome for supporting and encouraging righteous gaming, I'd suggest you stick around and get to know everyone :)

Hope I've been helpful :D

To much? I was going to go with...

Man, like, be mellow and let, like, the rainbows and hugs flow to keep, like, the negative vibes from totally being a bummer on your fellow forum siblings, like.

...but I thought it sounded unprofessional :p . I'll try to split the difference next time.

I just thought it was a random thing to say lol :p

Last edited:
I personally enjoy the Assassin's Creed series solely as a fiction Sci-Fi storyline. I'm eagerly awaiting the day you get to play as Desmond, as I enjoy futuristic city settings and worlds like that, and I want to see how they portray a futuristic scientifically advanced world. At the second or third game when you find out about the so-called species that created this Apple of Eden, I was definently troubled by the way the story is going, and I do not agree with their views if this is something that they are doing for anything other than fictional entertainment. But I enjoy the worlds they create in all their different time periods, so I chose to not let our difference of opinions get in the way of me enjoy their artwork as a whole. Its all a matter of whether or not you can just agree to disagree with them in videogames, like one does in movies and such I suppose. :)

Hello all,

Thanks for the welcome posts, and sorry to make the post so wordy, that's just how I usually think. No matter how I try to keep things on point, it somehow always ends up in an essay especially when it's something that has been on my mind for a while. I felt, for a first post, might as well get it all out there. What I really felt with the post, is to try to get the concept out there, but mainly to us, as consumers, that game publishers and designers really need to be more respectful to what they put in their games in regards to individual sensibilities, but also in regards to their craft.

For example, that game I mentioned, King's Bounty: Warriors of the North, takes place in a fictional world of Endoria. Key note on fictional. If for example, Heroes of Might and Magic II had a quest where you suddenly began talking about the Crucifixion and the Second Coming of Jesus, it would stand out like a sore thumb, and everyone would be up in arms. That's what I mean about these game designers not respecting their craft. Did they not take any literature classes? A fictional setting, should be just that, a fictional setting, no matter the center piece. In this case, being Vikings, no matter what occurred in history, you would assume that the history of Endoria, which is their world, would enfold rather differently, not feature things that would not occur normally. It's especially more stringent when the entire game is otherwise so campy, I mean it's almost a world of sunshine and bunnies. No matter how you try to escape it, it brings the immersion crashing down like nothing else I've seen.

I would like to reply directly to some comments, but perhaps I should take the backseat for a while, haha. For me, I personally think it's too much and way at the wrong time. People should be more sensitive after 9/11! At least out of respect for all the people that died (and still continue to die). I think in summary, my view point on games is this. If they choose to portray certain themes, then that is their choice and there isn't much we can do about it, as long as everyone knows what that is. We can decide not to buy it and that is that. The part about integrity is, portraying an event without trying to push an agenda on you (I think Rome: Total War does a good job of it. I actually enjoyed that game, but I got miffed when 90% of my battles seemed to take place in cities), especially one that makes people uncomfortable. I believe, in a nutshell, that's what integrity means for a game. Games, should be just that, games, a means to get away from what goes on in our world today. Some games, seem to go out of their way to do just the opposite, when you least expect it. Or take a theme, not respect literary rules, and cross it with a direct opposite, that ultimately just becomes offensive as opposed to creative. Historical then becomes weird, and campy becomes The Rocky Horror Picture Show.

There has to be a line.

Thank you for the game review site, I hope it will be of some help to me in future game buying decisions that don't make me want to tear my hair out.

Though I doubt they would have caught that little mention and its literary qualms in, for example, the fictional Viking game, I just don't think we have a self awareness out there in our community where we just say, okay, that is a no-no. But thank you none-the-less, I shall bookmark it. :)

Christmas is coming, and I would hate to end the year on a sad note!

I already made this too wordy, and I swear I didn't mean to! It started as a two paragraph note. Le sigh.

Well better to think to much than not at all :) . I've made longer posts in the heat of discussion too :) .

Aye, it's actually refreshing reading your long posts. Usually when I see a wall of text I get depressed. Usually wall of texts are full of ramblings and incoherence, and I'm certainly guilty of this as well. But your two posts so far have been nice and succinct. It's clear that you're passionate about this and you have a voice in your writing, which is good. I wouldn't apologize at all for your posts :)

Just wanted to drop in real quick and say that there's much more to Total War:Shogun 2 than just Sultan references. Buddhism (Zen in this case), Neo-Confucianism, and (understandably) Shinto influences show up in the Arts or with structures. Furthermore, Tokugawa Ieyasu is even a unit in the game. He was one of the main daimyo who not only set to motion the isolationist polices in the Muromachi period (for solid reasons of course), but also cracked down pretty hard on Christians during his reign. While I personally have no issue with either Assassin's Creed nor Shogun 2, I can see where you're coming from. :3

Last edited:
One day if I become a game designer, I'm going to set out to make the ultimate fictional christian medieval videogame based off a a portion of a novel series I want to one day write, so if you see something with the phrases, "War of the Angels...." or, "Thine Kingdom Caleron....", picking it up and giving me your honest opinion would be appreciated. :D

Back