Left 4 Dead too bright even on lowest brightness setting

Tek7

CGA President, Tribe of Judah Founder & President
Staff member
I've turned the brightness all the way down (to 2.6, for those who are more technically inclined) on the slider (Options > Brightness) and the "Barely visible" line is still more than barely visible. In other words, the game is still too bright.

Ditching the stock Dell drivers and installing modified drivers for my Mobility Radeon HD 3650 helped, but didn't entirely resolve the issue.

So, what do I do? How can I shove the brightness even lower than the visible Brightness option allows?

I used to do a trick for cs but it was the opposite way. I would preset a color config for the system that worked for ingame that way I could better control the game's color by changing the entire systems display.

Can't you use that brightness program?

Uhh...I forget what it is called but when I had trouble with darkness in CS, I'd use that and it helped.

Ah, found it. PowerStrip.

Last edited:
I've turned the brightness all the way down (to 2.6, for those who are more technically inclined) on the slider (Options > Brightness) and the "Barely visible" line is still more than barely visible. In other words, the game is still too bright.

Ditching the stock Dell drivers and installing modified drivers for my Mobility Radeon HD 3650 helped, but didn't entirely resolve the issue.

So, what do I do? How can I shove the brightness even lower than the visible Brightness option allows?
turn the gamma down inside L4D's video options area.

Luckily for me I've never had this problem. The only problem for me is always getting stuck with a horrible team, who refuses to listen.

You can usually go into the advanced video card settings/properties via the control panel in Windows and change the full-screen 3D graphic brightness.

You can usually go into the advanced video card settings/properties via the control panel in Windows and change the full-screen 3D graphic brightness.
Tried that. Still no go.

Since turning down the brightness of my monitor to two-thirds brightness (which was too bright and hard on my eyes after extended periods of time), I've noticed an improvement in L4D's image quality, but it's still not as balanced as image quality in TF2 or UT3.

Also, the white saturation on this screen is abnormally high, which I believe is the reason why it's difficult to see anything in a dark room except what my flashlight is pointed at. The area outside the flashlight "cone" of light is pitch black, as opposed to barely visible as it was on my old screen.

Oh well. This might be as good as it gets until I further tweak video card settings to find that elusive perfect balance or until Valve improves the brightness controls in L4D.

What about your contrast setting? Your comment about the white saturation seems to me the usual "contrast is too high" problem.

How is this a problem? :p Seeing zomborz in dark corners = survival win.

What about your contrast setting? Your comment about the white saturation seems to me the usual "contrast is too high" problem.
I tried adjusting the contrast, but it didn't seem to help much (if at all), either.

How is this a problem? :p Seeing zomborz in dark corners = survival win.
It's more an issue of image quality than getting the drop on zombies in the dark. :p

Back