Joining AV as a group

Which mod would you use to join AV with your friends?

• AVqq

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • SmartQueue

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

skvsr

I did a little research into this and found a few mods for joining AV with your friends. On the WowAceUpdater there is one listed named "SmartQue" that would seem to fit the bill. Another is "AVqq" that was on the Curse site. They both appeared adequate but required all to have that mod running who wished to join at the same time.

I also discussed the mod in guild chat and the "legality" of such a mod came up. One person heard from a friend that there was a group of Hordies who used a simular mod; they reportedly had such success that they were reported and subsequantly banned for using that kind of mod. Then later another said joining as a group was a technical problem and Blizz does not care if you can do it. (I do not use a chat logger and have a tremendously hard time with names - neither do I want any pointing of fingers.) This is a viable concernto me and after checking the WOW forums, I could not find anything about anyone being banned for such a mod. If you know of such, please let me know.

Also, please indicate which addon you would choose to use.

According to the ToS, there is only one type of addon/mod that will earn you a ban - one that facilitates cross-faction communication. Otherwise, all other addons can NEVER get you banned. It is impossible as Blizzard is 100% in control of what addons can do. They could even kill any cross-faction comm. addon, but that would mean killing other useful features. So far, Blizzard has relied on the community of addon makers to not cross that line. But if the line were crossed, cross-faction addons would be made inoperable while removing other features people use.

Blizzard is in control of addons, addons can NEVER get you banned.

I will say that people will often get the term mod/addon confused with hacks. If you use a hack that modifies the game other than through the addon system, then you risk bans, and people have gotten banned for that. The confusion comes because Blizzard is often vague about what people got banned for. However, never in the history of wow has any person gotten a ban for using a true addon.

Something I found on the pvp forums ...

"
http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/pvp/battlegrounds/tips-alterac.html

Q u o t e:
Queuing with friends

For Alterac Valley, there is no option to join as a preformed group. However, by clicking on the "join battle" button at the same time, you and your friends have a chance of entering the same battleground. When the pop-up appears notifying you of your ability to enter the battleground, you can confirm which Alterac Valley you received and compare with your friends. If not enough of your group got into the same battleground, you can always leave the queue and try again. Alternately, your group can manually queue for a particular Alterac Valley instance by selecting it from the available battleground list when queuing. However, queuing for specific battleground instances can result in significantly longer waiting times, since it won't necessarily be the first available instance. "

The mods or scripts simply just do this for you. There is no hack or cheat.

fwiw...we've had pretty decent success just doing the manual method. the mods won't guarantee you get in together...just increase the odds...just the same as everyone being on vent and counting down to click :)

I know nothing about whether those addons are "legal" or not but I know that we were using a script that allowed us to join together and was then apparently blocked. (pre-tbc) Lately all I've been doing is trying to join the queue at the same time as adam and if his AV is different than mine I "hide" and cancel the queue and then requeue using the specific AV he is in. Sometimes it takes a while because it requires someone else to drop out of the AV he's in before i get to take the place.

Apparently, according to many things I've heard this week, using a mod to join AV as a group can and will cause you to be banned... just a heads up

Apparently, according to many things I've heard this week, using a mod to join AV as a group can and will cause you to be banned... just a heads up

Links to proof? I am fairly intimate with the addon community and I know for a fact that addons can never get you banned, saved for the type I mentioned above. Rumors and hearsay are generally the source of these "ban" reports.

To name a few addons users have reported being "banned" for -

Auctioneer
WoWEcon
CosmosUI
Decursive
WhisperCast

However, none of these have ever resulted in a ban.

Usually this is just a misinterpretation of the ban notice. Usually when pressed and people post a copy of their email from blizzard, it says "Use of third-party software", which is a way of saying that they were using some sort of executable program that interfered with the WoW program. However, people read that line and think "addon/mod" which is not the case at all.

The use of addons can never get you banned except if you were to use one to try and talk to the opposing faction. Period.

Last edited:
Here are some quotes on using addons, Slouken is the UI team lead for Blizzard.

Trimble:

UI AddOns fall into two categories:

Macros - these aren't really AddOns at all, but they can use LUA code to do neat things in game. These are found ENTIRELY inside the game, and the code is run by Blizzard's interpreter, so they make the rules on what macros can and cannot do. Therefore, Blizzard won't ban someone from using any macros.

AddOns - These are extra files, put into the WoW Interface directory on your hard drive which supplement the existing LUA and XML code that Blizzard created that makes up the user interface that everyone uses.

AddOns are made up of LUA files, and XML files, both of which are also run by Blizzard's interpreter. Therefore, Blizzard won't ban someone from using any AddOns.

3rd party programs are actual programs that get loaded into memory and executed using their own code. They run separate from the game similar to how ICQ or MSN Messenger runs in the background. The difference is that 3rd party hacks try to read, or change data coming into or out of the WOW game client(to the network card), or they try to read or write to memory space used by the Wow Game client.

Speed hacks, for example, often interfere with data flowing from the game client to the network card by intercepting the "i am here" signal that he game client sends to the server and making it seem that the player is moving faster than they should be. The server accepts this as truth because Blizzard left it up to the game client to limit how fast you can go. (Oops Blizzard?) This strange design is caused by a need to let the game client do some of the work because the server is too busy to be expected to do everything.'
Anyway, the distinction in 3rd party hacks is usually the fact that hacks run as their own programs and interfere with the game client. AddOns aren't anything more than REALLY extravagant macros.

(Note: Cosmos is known to have an external EXE file that gets run as it's own code - however, it doesn't interfere with the game client - in fact, all it does is download LUA and XML files, puts them in the right places, then QUITS long before the WoW game client even starts.)

And...

Slouken:
This is a very good explanation of things as I understand them. However, I am not involved in policy and I'm not a lawyer.

While we've done our best not to penalize people who use the scripting interface, even in ways that aren't intended, it's conceivable that at some point someone will find a way to use them that is against the terms of use (e.g. is hurting other people's play experience), and is something we can't disable. In that case it's possible that we might warn people that using the AddOn is against the terms of use, and if they continue to do so, some action would be taken.

If you haven't been explicitly warned by a GM, or seen an official Blizzard response about an AddOn or UI modification, then don't worry about it.

To date, Blizzard has never made any such notice about the av queue addon or any other addon specifically. And the only type mentioned in the EULA/ToS is anything that facilitates cross-faction communication.

To heat this up a little...
Last night I was in AV and ran across a premade from one of the servers - there were 21 from one realm!

I really enjoy AV so if you would like to try thois out with me, I would like to recommend that we use SmartQue which can be installed by selecting it on WowAceUpdater.

AV is where you grind honor, but it is probably my least favorite in terms of PvP. All AV turns out to be is a rush to see who can kill an NPC first (hardly a pvp feeling). I thought the new changes would make it better, but really almost everything is the same. The reinforcements just prevent an endless turtle situation. Even AB, which I like just a hair above AV, at least has some PvP action.

Back