Jesus: Sweetest Name I Know

Marcylene

Many of the names for Jesus are obvious.

For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace. Isaiah 9:6

I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty.  Revelation 1:8

And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you.  Exodus 3:14

I wonder what He meant by saying He is I AM?  Was He simply saying that He exists?  Also, the names, or rather pictures of Christ, that are not so obvious to me, for example, Hosea, or Boaz.  I am wondering when studying the Bible, how to search out and understand who is pictured as Christ to come and how the information is gathered to know these things.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I wonder what He meant by saying He is I AM?

Looking into the original language, when Jesus or God said I AM what they meant is that I always was, I always will be and I always am right now. Regrettably, some of the inference was lost in the translation. The other part is that the way it was said is that those three states are wrapped into one.

Gen

p.s. working on the rest
smile.gif

Thank you ma'am
smile.gif
 I just heard a tape by Beth Moore tonight. She was saying that Joshua in Greek means Jesus.  That is where that one comes from.  She really didn't elaborate any further, it was a side note in her teaching.  I really want to learn how to pick out the types of Christ when reading, to see His personality more clearly.  I think I have Boaz figured out because he was called the kinsman redeemer.  

Some of the ones that puzzle me most are the inanimate objects. I have read about the fiery serpent many times, but until I researched the names and types of Christ, I never saw Him as a picture of that, and thus far, I have not found and explanation as to why. A guess would be that it is a type of Christ because it saved the people.

No one knows me more than my family and closest friends.  They can decipher the deep things of my heart sometimes simply by the look on my face!  I want to know Jesus like that.  Oh, to be like Moses, a friend of God.

Than you for your help, Gen, I appreciate you.

And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.  James 2:23

my grandma made this list years ago, since then ive redone it to my computer.

El- The strength of God.
Elah- God swears by an oath.
Elhiem- The stron one.
Adonai- The Lord is my master.
El Elyon- The strongest, strong one. Most high God.
El Roi- The God who sees me.
El Shaddi- God my sustainer.
El Olam- The inexhaustible one.
El Gibber- The Almighty God.
Jehovah- The Self-existing one.
Jehovah Jireh- The Lord will provide.
Jehovah Nissi- The Lord my Banner.
Jehovah Shalom- The Lord our Peace.
Jehovah Sabaoth- The Lord of the armies
Jehovah Maquaddishkem- The Lord my sanctifier.
Jehovah Tsidkenu- The Lord my righteousness.
Jehovah El Gmolah- The Lord will take vengeance.
Jehovah Nakeh- The Lord smites.
Jehovah Shammah- The Lord is present.
Jehovah Rapha- The Lord heals physically and spiritually.
Jehovah Raah- The Lord my shepherd.
Jehovah Ori- The Lord my light.
Jehovah Yishi- The Lord my Salvation
Jehovah El Emit- The True Lord.
Jehovah Moaz Chaya- The Lord is the refuge of my life.

Amen

I think one of my favorites is Jehovah Jireh- The Lord will provide. I love the story of Abraham and Isaac, foretelling of Jesus. Oh, how He does provide everything we could ever need, more than we ask or think!

Atown, I love that list, I want to reprint it. I was also considering as I read it, what a beautiful heritage, this testimony of our Almighty God from your Grandmother!

I received a beautiful early Christmas gift from a dear sister in Christ. It is titled Praying God's Word by Beth Moore. Your list makes me think we can also call upon each of God's names as we pray for our particular needs. God is so good!

Marcylene -

Now that you have the list of God's name, try reading through Genesis (the book, not me LOL) and see the way that God introduces Himself to the various people in the Book. I gained a lot of revelation into God and then into the other members of the Bible. Seeing how God interacts "in the Beginning" really set the tone for the rest.

Recently, I had a major point of enlightenment regarding Boaz, the kinsman redeemer. Boaz paid the debts for Ruth and Naomi, but only could because he was a relative of them. Boaz in essense rescued Naomi and Ruth.

Jesus did the same for us, as He is our Kinsman redeemer. He paid the price to wipe away our debt. He paid a price that was set so high that no one person could ever pay it.

Well, Gen, considering your love for Him, I think you would make a very good read
smile.gif
Actually, I am reading you loud and gratefully, blessedly clear!
smile.gif

And he answered and said unto them, I tell you that, if these should hold their peace, the stones would immediately cry out.  Luke 19:40

Let me praise Him so the stones don't have to!  Your explanation of Boaz has me literally in tears.  I have been so overwhelmed with our great El Roi (YES, I love it; it makes sense!) God lately.  I never want to get over Him!  I saw a book today, but have so many unread at the moment I did not purchase it.  It was titled Praying the Names of God!  He even goes with me in Walmart!!!  Now that it great love!!!  Even more especially considering the craziness in there this time of year!

*Saves list of God's names to computer as well*

Thank you Atown, I have been searching for a list like that for a while now. I have a list of God's names on audio cassette, but I couldn't spell them based on that.
laugh.gif

Genesis, you said that very well, and it's very true, especially during Christmas. People get so caught up in presents and Santa that they forget about the ultimate gift giver. Christmas isn't about the presents under the tree, but the one who hung on a tree. We must never forget that.

Thanks be unto God for his unspeakable gift. II Corinthians 9:15

For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6:23

My heart sings and glorifies the LORD. What a gift, what a gift, what a gift! The God of everything I could possibly ever need...as I look through His names, He is everything! No greater gift has the world ever know.

lol wow, glad the list helps. my grandmother though i dont remember much since she died when i was 4, was known in pullman as one of the godliest woman alive, she was often compared to billy grahams own sister so ive heard. a year ago i went through her old 433 and copied all her letters for references, amazingly i found a note from 1994 when a college wanted her to be a represenative for them at that time she was like 80.... but yeah, though at the time i didt really like grandma Jones (never gave me cookies
mad.gif
then again i never said plz.... ) her legacy has been amazing over the years from the storys i hear from people in town.

That really makes me stop and think. I think it is also an example of God as I AM. Your Grandmother is in Heaven with the LORD and because of her servants heart she continues to bless others!

I was thinking about the names of God and remembered I had highlighted His name twice in Matthew:

And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins.
And knew her not till she had brought forth her firstborn son: and he called his name JESUS. Matthew 1: 21&25

I think it is interesting that Jesus was capitalized in both places and no other that I can remember. I don't think I have ever heard that explained.

Ready for the next one?

Let's look at Hosea and Gomer.

In this book, Hosea represents God and Gomer, his wife, represents us. Hosea takes a bride that is guilty of breaking the law, by prostitution. She tries to use her own talents to impress Hosea, continues in her prostitution after marriage, and is later reconciled to her husband.

Gomer pursues her own interests, thinking that will satisfy both her and Gomer. She uses what she has to gain favor with her husband. Take away the prostitution and that sounds pretty familiar to what we do. Works vs. Grace. She could be stoned to death due to breaking the law. We too would die for our sins.

Hosea still takes Gomer as his wife. He does not divorce her, but rather goes and pays for her. He makes her go through a period where she is not allowed to use her talents to gain favor. The relationship is restored.

Gomer only needed to depend on her husband to be fulfilled just as we need only to depend on God to be fulfilled. Hosea shows us how God will restore relationships. God provided the ultimate payment to restore our relationship. We may need to go through a period of fasting to bring the reconcilation, but God is faithful and will wait during this time.

Gen

Sorry Atown, the King James Version.  I haven't checked, but the others do not have JESUS I take it?

Gen, that has always been such a beautiful love story to me, now it is that much more beautiful!  Funny, even as a new Christian Hosea's unconditional love touched my heart, though I did not make the connection as he being a picture of God.  You're a doll and I appreciate your time and study on this one.  I have been lacking, to be honest.  I received three new books for Christmas and I want to finish them yesterday and apply their teaching ;)

Actually, I want to thank you for posting this topic. I am having a great time studying the different people. Hopefully I can post one per week. If you come across anything, please add it.

I have such a hunger right now for God. These studies have helped, but I want more of God, so much more. Hosea has been one of my favorites too since becoming a Christian.

Gen

from my studies, I do not have a new person to highlight, but it seems like there are 3 distinct groups of people in the OT.

1. Those who do not follow God
2. Those who demonstrate and aspect of Christ/God
3. Those who are living examples of new testament lessons.

Think about the verse from Romans 8:28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.

Joseph (coat of many colors) is an example of that. While he was sold into slavery in Egypt, ultimately, he was able to help his family survive the famine. He was throw in jail under phony charges, but that allowed him to get into a high-ranking position.

Gen

He said unto them, But whom say ye that I am?  Peter answering said, The Christ of God.  Luke 9:20

Sometimes I think if our family had a motto, it would be: Seriousness?  Who needs it?  One display of this is oftentimes when we greet each other, we will say, "My [insert name here]!", all the while exaggeratingly gushing, hugging, and kissing the person!  The Holy Spirit used this as an object lesson for me this week.  

I have many times read, mostly the Psalms of David when he calls Jesus His God, or His LORD...beautiful, but I never really thought about it so much until this week.  Who do I say Christ is?  As I pondered this I think I have discovered what will be my all time favorite name for God...My God!  I am my beloved's and He is mine!  He is mine!  He is mine!  The LORD God, Creator of the Universe, He is mine!  To think that He allows me to make this claim is almost more than I can imagine!  Then, when I ponder that it cannot get any better than that...He is Omnipresent!  We may all come bodly unto His throne of grace and joyously proclaim, "He is mine!"

O my soul, thou hast said unto the LORD, Thou art my Lord: my goodness extendeth not to thee;  Psalm 16:2

But I trusted in thee, O LORD: I said, Thou art my God.  Psalm 31:14

And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God.  John 20:28

Dear LORD, thank you for your infinite love, grace, and mercy that allows me to call you my own.  Thank you for being mine, for my heart desires nothing more than to be Thine own!  Help us all come to the totally complete realization that you are ours for the asking!
In Jesus Sweet, Precious, Holy Name...
Amen

His name is Warrior, Saviour, The Lifter of mine head, Lover, Musician/Seranader who delights over me! He is precious. He is good.

The LORD thy God in the midst of thee is mighty, he will save, he will rejoice over thee with joy; he will rest in his love, he will joy over thee with singing. Zephaniah 3:17

Gen, I watched the movie The Bible for the first time the other night. It was made in the 60's and considering its age, I was very impressed, especially with the scenes of creation and the fall of man. It covers Genesis 1:1 ~ 22:18. It depicts Jehovah jireh beautifully! It amazingly used the King James Version and stayed pretty much by the stuff! It brought those verses to life; I think you will enjoy it.

Back