Jesus of all trades...

Marcylene

Jesus Master of all trades...

A Potter. A Shepherd. Looking at creation I consider Him an artist. Counselor, The greatest Author of all time...All that we need, whatever we may need, He fulfills in our lives.

I don't like trials. Not in my life, not in anyone's life. Yet, this week I have had a small glimpse of not only learning to trust God through trials, and I am grateful that God does not make us learn that lesson all at once in our lives, but that there are lessons from His Word that shine forth all the brighter when life deals hard blows. We may sometimes feel as if God is a million miles away and that the Bible is more difficult to read...but when we remain faithful in prayer and seeking Him through His Word, I think it is then the precious promises are most dear...truly likened to much fine gold.

I had a college student come this week to do a devotion for us at work. I love object lessons, they tend to stay with me as I ponder God's Word and His teachings; this one made the concept of Jesus being the Potter and we the clay come to life. She made it look so simple, I would love to try my hand at this beautiful craft. Here are a few of the lessons from the Potter's wheel.
It took a lot of pounding and rough treatment to get the clay pliable enough to use. Even after handling it for some time, there were still air bubbles. A picture of patience on the Potter's part, and a ripening of the fruit of long-suffering in our own lives, all the while getting rid of things in our lives that stand in the way of not only our relationship with Him, but in our being molded and made in His likeness.
The clay is perfectly formed by the Potter; He makes the vessel as He wishes.
There is a waiting period as the clay dries...waiting...then the fire of the kiln!
Each step in forming the clay is important. A good Potter makes the task seem effortless, yet she shared that there is always pressure on the clay, so much so that it will build muscle on the Potter's part. Then, bringing forth a vessel unto use on the clays part.
When the clay has been shaped to completion, allowing itself to remain on the wheel entrusted in the Potter's hand, it clings tightly to the wheel and literally has to be cut away...oh may we cling to God and His promises. Oh, that we may trust in Him when the road seems darkest, and know that He will never leave us nor forsake us and that He is faithful and true that promised.

Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering; (for he is faithful that promised) Hebrews 10:23

Charles Spurgeon from crossdaily.com
He shall gather the lambs with His arm, and carry them in His bosom."
Isaiah 40:11

Who is He of whom such gracious words are spoken? He is THE GOOD SHEPHERD. Why doth He carry the lambs in His bosom? Because He hath a tender heart, and any weakness at once melts His heart. The sighs, the ignorance, the feebleness of the little ones of His flock draw forth His compassion. It is His office, as a faithful High Priest, to consider the weak. Besides, He purchased them with blood, they are His property: He must and will care for that which cost Him so dear. Then He is responsible for each lamb, bound by covenant engagements not to lose one. Moreover, they are all a part of His glory and reward.

But how may we understand the expression, "He will carry them?" Sometimes He carries them by not permitting them to endure much trial. Providence deals tenderly with them. Often they are "carried" by being filled with an unusual degree of love, so that they bear up and stand fast. Though their knowledge may not be deep, they have great sweetness in what they do know. Frequently He "carries" them by giving them a very simple faith, which takes the promise just as it stands, and believingly runs with every trouble straight to Jesus. The simplicity of their faith gives them an unusual degree of confidence, which carries them above the world.

"He carries the lambs in His bosom ." Here is boundless affection. Would He put them in His bosom if He did not love them much? Here is tender nearness: so near are they, that they could not possibly be nearer. Here is hallowed familiarity: there are precious love-passages between Christ and His weak ones. Here is perfect safety: in His bosom who can hurt them? They must hurt the Shepherd first. Here is perfect rest and sweetest comfort. Surely we are not sufficiently sensible of the infinite tenderness of Jesus!

Last edited:
Back