IT IS TIME ONCE AGAIN!!! For the GFC Bible Study Challenge!

the_great_eskimo_pie

Former Official Thread Killer
Thats right! Starting April 1st I challenge you to read through the book of Proverbs AGAIN!!!!!

See what verses make you think, which ones show character flaws, which ones encourage yoru heart!

Just make a post here on this thread every day stating which verses affected you. If you want to, say why! (I know I probably will. :) )

Lets see how many people dont miss ANY days!

This is tougher than it sounds! 1 chapter a day for 30 days! (Cause April only has 30. :p )

Who will join me???

Hey guys, i will give it a shot.

just a lil confusion, should i post my responces on this thread or on the SoE one? or a new one... eh, Pie you could just PM me where to post and i'll be cool. LETS DO THIS!!!

April 1
5 let the wise listen and add to their learning, and let the discerning get guidance--
This verse encouraged me, It is inviting and asking me to make a choice. As I read through I saw that I could be grouped with the wise or the foolish. By my choice, I am reading through Proverbs, which then groups me with the wise.

11 If they say, "Come along with us; let's lie in wait for someone's blood, let's waylay some harmless soul;...31 they will eat the fruit of their ways and be filled with the fruit of their schemes.

These two verses grouped together really provided a warning. We are told what our options are, and what the results of making a decision to seek wisdom or not. I am curious, though, if a decision needed to be made earlier in the verse to follow the path of wisdom (before arriving at the consequences).

Gen

Alrighty, Sorry for the late post, but I just got home.

4 To give prudence to the simple, To the young man knowledge and discretion

This verse encouraged me greatly, for many reasons. I am a leader for the GFC and I feel woefully inadequete at times. I need knowledge and discretion in how to balance my life. I have many things that are near and very dear to me. (One being all the members of the GFC)

8 My son, hear the instruction of your father, And do not forsake the law of your mother;

I have had a real hard time lately wanting to listen to instruction... I hear it, but sometimes it just does not get through my thick head.

Proverbs 1

7 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge,
but fools [a] despise wisdom and discipline.

A good reminder that all wisdom is from God, that you will never attain true knowledge without fear of the Lord.

18 These men lie in wait for their own blood;
they waylay only themselves!

19 Such is the end of all who go after ill-gotten gain;
it takes away the lives of those who get it.

For the wages of sin is death...

23 If you had responded to my rebuke,
I would have poured out my heart to you
and made my thoughts known to you.

24 But since you rejected me when I called
and no one gave heed when I stretched out my hand,

Rebuke is one of Gods ways of reaching out to us. I need to remember that and not follow my tendency to think that God is out to get me at those times.

33 but whoever listens to me will live in safety
and be at ease, without fear of harm."

God has rules for us for our own good. They are not arbitrary.

For wisdom will enter your heart, and knowledge will be pleasant to your soul.

Since out of the heart, man speaks, I am reminded that I need to keep wisdom there so I do not speak foolishly

22 but the wicked will be cut off from the land, and the unfaithful will be torn from it.

Good warning. If the wicked are cut off from the land....what else are they cut off from.

Proverbs 2

This one made me go Hmmmmm....
3 Yes, if you cry out for discernment, And lift up your voice for understanding, 4 If you seek her as silver, And search for her as for hidden treasures; 5 Then you will understand the fear of the Lord, And find the knowledge of God.

This one both encourages me and makes me say "OUCH!" I know what happens if I do follow the Lord and listen for Him, but at the same time, I don't want to. It is part of dying to my flesh daily I guess. Seeking the Lord is a choice that sometimes I am too lazy to want to do. (Yes, I am lazy...) But if I choose not to be lazy and follow where the Lord leads, Life will be good.

Sounds like an easy choice? Its not. But, If I do seek Wisdom (and the Lord) like silver or Gold, the way the prospectors of Old did. Well, I know I will find it, just as they did in California, Alaska, and so many other places.... You spot that one sliver of vien and you go crazy. (Which is what I think will happen once I fully understand the fear of the Lord.)

Proverbs 2

1 My son, if you accept my words
and store up my commands within you,
2 turning your ear to wisdom
and applying your heart to understanding,

3 and if you call out for insight
and cry aloud for understanding,

It is another example of us being required to have the right attitude and focus before God is willing to work with us. We must have an open heart and mind and truly be seeking the things of God before he will give them to us.

We must continually seek the Lord. A relationship with God must be active on both sides. If we want understanding and wisdom we cannot just accept Christ and leave it at that.

I tend to be all or nothing here. At times I will throw myself into my faith, trying to learn everything I can. But other times I get lazy and I don't do anything. I have repeatedly noticed the differences in my life, but find I still am not as consistent as I should be.

Proverbs 3

Honor the Lord with your wealth, with the firstfruits of all your crops;

Ouch!!! definitely need to improve here

21 My son, preserve sound judgment and discernment, do not let them out of your sight; 22 they will be life for you, an ornament to grace your neck. 23 Then you will go on your way in safety, and your foot will not stumble; 24 when you lie down, you will not be afraid; when you lie down, your sleep will be sweet.

Wish I had read this this morning. It would have saved some issues later in the day. Discernment was not a part of my vocabulary

34 He mocks proud mockers but gives grace to the humble. 35 The wise inherit honor, but fools he holds up to shame.

Encouraging...

Proverbs 3

5 Trust in the LORD with all your heart
and lean not on your own understanding;

I still have to work on trust and not thinking I know better than God. Also I need to remember that I don't have to understand all of Gods ways in order to trust Him.

11 My son, do not despise the LORD's discipline
and do not resent his rebuke,

12 because the LORD disciplines those he loves,
as a father the son he delights in.

Again an important reminder that Gods discipline is out of Love.

21 My son, preserve sound judgment and discernment,
do not let them out of your sight;

Something I have been extremely bad at throughout my life.

24 when you lie down, you will not be afraid;
when you lie down, your sleep will be sweet.

25 Have no fear of sudden disaster
or of the ruin that overtakes the wicked,

26 for the LORD will be your confidence
and will keep your foot from being snared.

Gods promise that I have nothing to fear if I trust in Him.

Back