Is PayPal safe?

Corpfox

I'm new to the consept to "on-line shopping" such as Amazon and Ebay.

So, is PayPal safe? Security safe? Hack safe?

I havent had any problems with paypal, amazon or any other companies buying online and sending money...

Paypal is fine. Amazon is fine. Ebay is usually fine...just don't bid without comparing prices and, more importantly, checking feedback. I personally wouldn't go with a seller that's (1) too new, or (2) with less than 95% positive feedback. And be sure to check the shipping fee. But security-wise, I don't know anyone that has had any problems. They're very reputable.

I think i'll stick to Newegg and Zipzoomfly for computer parts.. i don't really need much of other stuffs from ebay ;)

fairly interesting... yesterday I was at work and met somebody who worked for ebay/paypal he was all like its a great place to work... ebay makes alot of monies and likes to take care of their people (clients)
kinda cool

but when buying from sites like ebay and amazon its better to use a credit card. Because if something goes wrong and u don't get the product, u'll get your money back from the credit card company.

You can bounce a paypal account of a credit card as well.

Also, piece of dandy advice. Get and use credit card with a limit of $500 online, and should the credit card company bump it up for good behaviour, call them up and request it be brought back to $500. That way, should the credit card number ever be stolen, they can't do much. So even if you are ever unfortunately left on the hook to pay off the balance, it is only $500, not $20,000

I recall VISA and Mastercard are or were or has setup special online use only credit cards. You get a special credit number (no card) and you transfer funds from your main credit card to it. Then you use the special online card number only. That way, your main credit card numbers are never floating at online retail stores. The only people who know your main credit card numbers are the credit card companies themselves.

Most good credit card companies will hold you accountable for only $50, if anything, when somebody steals your card or info and goes on a spree. If they don't, I wouldn't get a card with them. We are not responsible for anything we did not purchase, and just recently had some random charge, which we disputed, and did not have to pay (we have a CapitalOne card).

Definitely use a credit card whenever you shop over the phone, online, etc. *Most* (not all) banks have zero protection, meaning if someone gets your debit card info and cleans out your account, you're out of luck and money.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Ember @ July 12 2004,9:24)]Paypal is fine.  Amazon is fine.  Ebay is usually fine...just don't bid without comparing prices and, more importantly, checking feedback.
*hugs and kisses Ember* Listen to the lady. She knows whassup. *g*

Mrs.Tek7=pwnage,ownage,always right
tounge.gif
smile.gif

some off topic here. Is Ember better at NS then Tek7? will she pwn Tek7 in CS? :eek:

ok i should stop before Tek throws me out of the planet
laugh.gif

Is she Hilary and he's Bill.
Ember becomes a senator, and Tek writes a book on his life. Is Ember smarter than Tek.:)

No, paypal is not safe. Not at all. My dad, who works for the sheriff's department, has a friend who specializes in web crime (i.e. Identity Theft cases, bogus programs, etc..) and he's told me stories about PayPal that would give you nightmares. Word to the wise, stay away from it. Stick to money orders.

Try reading the "Methods of Payment" part next to the price. It might suprise you.

Given the option of direct card payment or paypal i will go with card.. You have the banks fraud insurance and you will always be put to a secure server. If you stick to sites like amazon and cdnow with great security you cannot go wrong...

Yes Rizz is right. Like I said earlier, PayPal is really more trouble than it's worth.

I've never had any issue with it. But then I don't do anything or buy anything from Ebay ^-^.

To each his own I guess.

Cory

[b said:
Quote[/b] (rizz @ July 16 2004,3:26)]If you stick to sites like amazon and cdnow with great security you cannot go wrong...
That's what they'd like you to think, but you can never really be 100% secure. Your best bet is to pay close attention to URLs and encryption strength, and whose name is on the certificate. And don't use your bank card online.

Also, if you're paranoid (like me - hey, I've been in IT for almost 10 years), don't use IE for sensitive things, like online banking, and run HijackThis every so often to keep tabs on what's in your registry.

There really is no such thing as 100% security. But using PayPal will usually dock it down to 20%. Most of PayPal's IT's happen with the e-mail update requests. Someone will get a list of PayPal users and send a bogus "update" e-mail asking them, once again, for their credit card info etc... so that they can update their archives and junk like that. I just find that it's easier to simply not use it. Most things now-a-days you can use a Money Order for.

Back