If you can't beat 'em...

DZwart

Legacy of Elijah Officer
I think you all know the end to that expression.

We've been having a lot of trouble coming up with a build and/or team that can reliably beat the current Flavor of the Month (FotM) build, the ever present SWAY (or spirit-Way).

By the end of the evening last night, I was thinking exactly that, if we can't beat them, join them. I know we typcially avoid the FotM's, but let's be honest, we all like to win a few when we show up.

I'm proposing that we attempt to run SWAY for a few PvP nights to get a good feel for the build, its strengths and its weaknesses. Then maybe take what we learned as far as how we get beat, and use that to create our next team build and help push the metagame past this SWAY phase.

Here's a link to PVXwiki's page for the SWAY build.

Summary:
3 Escape Scythe - R/D
2 Trappers R/E & R/P - why haven't we tried this sooner?
1 Expel Rit Rt/Me
1 WoR Healer - N/Rt
1 Well of Power Healer - N/Rt

SWAY is what got me to R4 durning the double weekend. I know Dredd hates it tho. I have a lot of experience with this build and i think its really good for us. Its low maintence and pressure. I'm willing to go for it!

lol we can run it. Sway loses to good Balanced teams and I can tell they would not like a trapper team.

I can run the R/P build easy...I just need a little advance warning so that I can get the rest of the skills (all 2 of 'em)

EDIT: Can someone tell me what the defensive/high energy sets are?

Last edited:
I haven't personally run Sway, but looking at the build...I like it! I think it is strong enough to give us several victories a night. I'm for it! :)

just remember, SWAY is more of a fame farming build. SWAY does good until capture the flag and relic runs. Although, most SWAYs i have been in were PUGS, and not on TS. so we might do better. And idk if SWAY has ever won Halls, or if they did not very often.

just remember, SWAY is more of a fame farming build. SWAY does good until capture the flag and relic runs. Although, most SWAYs i have been in were PUGS, and not on TS. so we might do better. And idk if SWAY has ever won Halls, or if they did not very often.

I completely agree STC. The advantage of SWAY s that it will win us fame, particularly at the first round. The disadvantages are that it won't get us to the Hall, nor gain us much respect as a PvP team. So whether we do it and how often all depends on our priorities. My proposal would be to give it a shot and if it works, do SWAY one PvP night and other builds like balanced on the other.

Paul

robinhood94, there's a link to a website with information on the team build called SWAY. For those less versed in PvPeese, the original fame farming build that was run by countless teams looking for quick easy wins to earn fame, was IWAY. It was a team of wariors running the skill "I Will Avenge You!" Since that time, most popular team builds have included _____-way as their name. Spirit-WAY or SWAY is the most recent flavor of the month.

Now, back to the topic.

I guess my proposal wasn't that we take the build on for a long time, but just long enough to learn its strengths and, more importantly, its weaknesses. Dredd, you say a good balanced team can beat it, but our balanced teams haven't been beating it lately. I agree, let's play it for a couple nights, change positions so that we all try something different at least once, then move back to a balanced build. Maybe run this the next couple Fridays and work on balanced on Tuesdays.

The other advantage to this is that we can bring some less experienced players in, let them gain some confidence and interest by letting them win a few fame. I sometimes wonder when we run a test build or slightly imbalanced build with newer players and we consistently loose, if we're just driving them out of PvP.

I agree with Derk. The best way to defeat your enemy is to know your enemy. unfortunately the really only way to do that is to shut down their healing rits and take out the trappers.

EDIT: I also wont be able to join you guys tonight, Youth Group going Ice Skating! Maybe i wont break my arm this time!! ;)

I'm up for it in upcoming nights. I actually have been kinda in the dark about SWAY, just heard Dredd say how evil it is.
But Derk made a good point - we didn't have any issues with running IWAY back in the day.

EDIT: I could really any of these, but would really like to try the escape scythe out.

Last edited:
As my notoriously bad timing would have it, I got on to join right as ya'll were leaving...go figure

..although what's the Energy/Defensive sets?

This terminology refers to having 2 different weapon sets available to swap as needed (F1 and F2). The high energy set is typically a Hale staff or a spear with +5 energy and an offhand. A defensive set includes more defensive items granting additional health and armor (switching to a shield of +30fotitude)

I've noticed that spears have become the weapon of choice for many casters, even those without paragon secondary. Casters never really depend on the wand for significant damage anyway, so the spear allows them to stay at range, but allows the unconditional +5 energy inscription AND a +30 fortitude mod in addition to the +12 energy of the offhand with another +30 health or a HCT mod.

I was referring specifically to the ones mentioned for the ranger, as my GW access is limited only to weekends...though the the information you gave is very useful

I will not be on tonight Just leting everyone know. I have to work tonight. God willing Friday night I will be on.

Back