If I were to buy...

Kaiine

If I were to buy UT, what exactly should I get?

UT2K3? Too old? Wait for 2K4?

UT2k4? When does this come out?

Thanks!

Pick up UT2K4 as it contains all the exact same content from UT2K3. Same maps, same bots, but different ladder system and UI. I *think* it will also contain all the maps from the Bonus Packs (but not the Community Bonus Pack).

However, all UT2K3 mods will not be compliant with UT2K4 (though I hear most mutators will), and I believe there is not compliance between UT2K3 clients and servers and UT2K4 clients and servers. That is, you cannot play DM/CTF/Bombing Run with UT2K3 on a UT2K4 server, and I believe UT2K4 clients cannot play on UT2K3 servers.

What does this mean for you? Probably nothing, as you never had UT2K3 to begin with and probably don't have any fave mods for it.

So I'd go with UT2K4, brand new.

UT2004 is definitely the way to go. The estimated release date is March 16, 2004 (according to ebgames.com, where I pre-ordered the 2-DVD special edition). Considering they've already released the demo, I doubt they'll push back the release date. AGAIN. Grr.

As for UT2003/UT2004 compatibility, well, there basically is none. True, most of the mods will be compatible here shortly, but you will NOT be able to play UT2004 on UT2003 servers. That will be more of a problem for UT2003 owners than those who purchase UT2004 as Onslaught is already wildly popular--and rightly so--and we should see an "onslaught" (har har) of servers for that game mode.

Hope that clears everything up and convinces you to purchase a copy.
biggrin.gif

Thanks guys, I will most likely buy UT2K4...well I will actually. I loved the original UT and I installed the 2K4 demo and it looks great, especially on my new Radeon 9800 Pro!

Anyone ever hear of "Red Orchestra"? Let me know!

Yea, I'm not really into WWII games, but I'm still impressed with the production values on this mod - these guys are pros.

It's weird, I have like a love-hate relationship with this game.  I'll love it for a few days ("Those vehicles are so awesome!") and then I'll hate it ("It's just not as deep as XMP").  Ugh....need to see more Onslaught maps!

Does anybody know the map count in the final version?

EDIT: Ah, from what I've read we're going to get 6 Assault maps and 9 Onslaught maps.  Plus, in addition to all the UT2003 maps plus the Bonus Packs (alot of maps to begin with), there will be 20 *more* maps in DM, CTF and Bombing Run game modes.  All in all, I think there's over 100 maps that come with UT2004.  Sick!

I'm saving my gift cards to get the game...can't wait. Of course Splinter Cell 2 is coming out too...I'll just get them both!

Ok, one more question:

What is the special DVD version? Does it include the game, or is it an "add-on" to buying the actual game? I know if includes a headset, and other things...

Thanks in advance!

It has everything the full game has, but on a DVD, *plus* the headset *plus* several hours of tutorials on making levels, programming in the UT Engine, UnrealScript, etc.

So, I can get the special edition for the same price of the regular edition...$29.99...WHAT DO I CHOOSE???

biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TheElite @ Mar. 15 2004,7:20)]So, I can get the special edition for the same price of the regular edition...$29.99...WHAT DO I CHOOSE???
Whaa? Where is it selling for $29.99? I paid $39.99 plus shipping. Of course, I got a snazzy UT logo car emblem free with my pre-order, but that's beside the point. ... Kinda.

Try EBGames or Go Gamer, they seem to be in stock.

I'm installing UT2K4 now....holy CDs batman!  I think the last time I had to use this many discs was for X-Files, the interactive game.

I am leaving in a few minutes (from work, mind you) to go pick up the Special Edition. They came out today for us - here in Indy. The Special Edition is only $29.99 here at Best Buy. I'll let you know for sure when I get back!

doh! They sold out!!! I was there 4 minutes after the doors opened and they're GONE!!!

I called another store and had two copies held!
tounge.gif
Now I can't wait for lunch!

Back