I need firepower

cc.slim

Ok Slim is in need of some assistance and its not related to my lack of cs skillz or my typing its is related to the helping of TOJ and the funding issue. My Soulmate has posed a stumbling block on my giving part of our tithe to TOJ because TOJ is a community not a church. This issue is kill'n me. I tried to sneak some money (not funny) hehehe kinda onry tho but TOJ does not have a premier account so I had to wait for paypal to deposit (just did).My issue is a heartfelt issue about Jesus dying for each and everyone of us and with that making tithe's a issue of giving freely not a requirement as she poses it to be! Am I right?

I don't completely agree with that. I think by this verse,

Malachi 3:10 "Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house..."

I think the storehouse refers to your home church, anything else to any other organization, would be considered an offering, not tithe.

I think the two previous posts are right on...I believe that one should tithe the appropriate amount (10%) of your gross income (that's before taxes). I think your tithe should go to your church, not the TOJ fund. However, I do think that if you want to donate an offering to TOJ, then that would be great and your girl should take that into consideration. The church is very important and needs all the support we can give it.

Though it hasn't been publicly addressed before (at least, not that I can recall), I consider Tribe of Judah a ministry. It is not intended to replace the fellowship, teaching, and worship found in a local church; it is intended to supplement activity in a local church and help members develop a personal relationship with God. Whether tithes should be given exclusively to the church, I can not say with authority; however, I would not feel comfortable accepting a donation from a Tribe of Judah member who attends a local church but does not give their tithe to that church.

While many members in Tribe of Judah attend a local church, some do not. I recognize that, for some, this community helps them build up the courage to start attending or return to a church. Different people are at different points in their lives. Living in Tulsa, I saw a nasty tendency for people to judge Christians who were not attending church rather than open a dialogue and discuss the purpose of the local church. I even found myself exhibiting the same self-righteous and judgmental attitude toward the people I loved. I strongly believe that every Christian should seek, find, and get involved in a local church, but don't immediately assume that someone not attending a local church has given up on God.

There is a nasty tendency in humans to get caught up in legalism. Though the Bible does contain complex passages, most Scripture is very clear and straightforward. Read the Bible, specifically passages on tithing. Pray and ask what the Lord would have you give. If you don't receive an immediate answer or remain unsure of what to do, start by giving ten percent.

Side note: There's also a nasty tendency in the modern church for Christians to show up Sunday morning, drop a check for 10% in the offering plate as it goes by, and feel like they've done their part. The Christian life is so much more.

There are too many Christians who just buy into a guilt trip spouted from the pulpit and feel "bullied" into giving ten percent. What's more important than deciding if ministries are eligible to receive tithes, if you should tithe off net or gross, or if you should give extra for that building program is your personal relationship with Christ.

It's obvious you have a heart after God, so I have no problem trusting that you'll find the answer to your question after reading the Word and praying about the matter with your wife.

And don't worry about ToJ. If the Lord wants us to bring our servers back online, he'll make a way. :)

My apologies if this post seems incoherent. It's 2:21 a.m. and I should be getting to bed.

Thank you all for your input Thank you so very much! My wife and I have discussed this and I never wanted to give all my tithe to toj just a small portion and my wife has seen how much this means to me and however much We (hehehe got to include her)give she is content in knowing that toj is using the funds in a way to support and strengthen brothers and sisters in Christ and at the same time to bring others to know Christ. Again thank you all so very much and God bless!!!!

P.S. end of post plz

one of my things is that, when im in church and they talk about tithing they make me feel guyilty then they turn around and say "dont give out of guilt" .... so yeah.... i useally try and support my youthgroup over the church me n my folks go to, but yeah. which brings me to a question: i go to a youthgroup that belongs to a different church than what i attend on sundays (if i had my choice i would not go to the baptist church rather my youth group church) is it wrong of me to decide to not give to the baptist church? i mean its kinda like playing favorites i guess but still....

i was in a church one time, and the whole service was about money..... a preacher walked up to me and asked me how church was, i said "i dunno, i went to a fiscal meeting, not church"

tithing, offering, etc.. etc.. are between you and god, pray about what to do with it.. back up your answer with scripture, i doubt youll go wrong..

phasetim said:
i was in a church one time, and the whole service was about money..... a preacher walked up to me and asked me how church was, i said "i dunno, i went to a fiscal meeting, not church"

tithing, offering, etc.. etc.. are between you and god, pray about what to do with it.. back up your answer with scripture, i doubt youll go wrong..

After all these years, phase says something smart :D

But seriously, it is inanely legalistic to appoint a specific amount of money to go to your home church and say this is your tithe. In fact, by doing so you may be bringing a curse down upon yourself.

The reason the OT saints tithed was because to tithe got you a blessing, and to not tithe got you a curse. Likewise, there were a number of other odds and ends that got you a bless/curse for success/failure in obediance.

Think of this. When people are saying that they tithe to fulfill Biblical obligations, they are saying that they tithe to fulfill their obligations under the law. Yet these same people are not obeying the full law (usually most specifically the dietary constraints of the law) and as the NT tells us:

[font=georgia, Times New Roman, Times]Gal 3:10 [/font][font=georgia, Times New Roman, Times]

All who rely on observing the law are under a curse, for it is written: "Cursed is everyone who does not continue to do everything written in the Book of the Law." (NIV)
[/font]

NT saints do not have to give certain amounts to certain places of worship. We are to give to God, freely and as He directs. When we feel compelled by the pastor or the deacons or whoever to give that 10% to our local church, then we are not giving to God, we're giving to some random organization. It stops being a gift to God, and begins to become a way to assuage the guilt complex that is being brought to bear against you.

Should you never give money? Nonsense. The NT also clearly states that it is expected of NT saints to give, just of what and how much is not entirely clear.
[font=georgia, Times New Roman, Times] 2 Cor 9:7 [/font]

[font=georgia, Times New Roman, Times]So let each one give as he purposes in his heart, not grudgingly or of necessity; for God loves a cheerful giver. (NKJ) [/font]

Thanx Guys!!!! I believe the tithe was made irrelevent with the death of Christ hence no birds and animals have to die to come before our God..So anything given is a gift nomatter where it goes so as long as it supports the truth and you give from the heart... My Lady understands me hehehehe kinda, but She told me to follow my heart and yep I will do just that.... Wooot! P.S. We did come to a happy medium on this hehehe No I did not give in just bent a little hehehe

Back