Huge mistake with origins of Catholicism.

Jango

From what I know, much of the Catholic faith is based on Matthew 16. "18And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it." The founders of Catholicism assumed that Jesus was talking to Peter, but that is completely wrong. He was talking about His death. ( at least, that's what I take Him to be saying. ) He would not base an entire church on Peter. True, Paul started the church, but he is not the head of the church, as Catholics make Peter out to be. Jesus is the true head of the church.

hmm, I was gonna start a thread on catholicism too, believe it or not, and it looks like I got beat to it... good stuff jango. anyway are there any catholics out there?

There are a few who are Catholic in ToJ. I hope that this does not turn into a Catholic vs Protestant thread....If it does, I hope an admin will delete it promptly.

Cory

Jango first of all context is the king, secondly paul did not start the church, infact paul did not start his ministry till after about 3 years in the desert, then he went down to jerusalem. Peter was the first to preach on the day of pentacost, he was the founder of what we would call the "church" he was also the "leader" because he did most of the speeking, that is recorded in ACTS, also it appears that Peter was the one that delt with Anasias and Sapharia, also with the appointing of the Men to take care of the widows which these two referrences can be found in Acts 5 and Acts 7 i believe *could be 6 on the widows*. Whether you like it or not, your religion is based off catholisms, as much as you would like to think it is orginal, it isnt, infact the protestant is just a division of catholisms in a way. Catholicism wrong, no, they may have some strange and escetrinic traditions, but so does every church and demonination out there.

BUt that is wrong also, the Romian Church was started probably after pentacost, and Pual was just going to visit the brothers in Rome, because to the best of our Knowledge there had bee no apolistic visit to rome.

Well, forget me saying that Paul started it, then. I must have been confused. I read in history class that Catholocism views Peter as there leader.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]infact the protestant is just a division of catholisms in a way.
Not really. The teachings are entirely different, and even more so if you look at the old Church of the Dark Ages.

Who was a Catholic, until he started studying the Bible and found that salvation is acheieved through faith.

but alot of the tradition is from catholic tradtion and each protestant movement has either added or removed from it what they did or did not like.

also the many churchs are going to a small group and accountablity group where you do have a confessional of sorts, its good, dont get me wrong but another basic catholic doctrine, although i am not catholic

Catholicism isn't the oldest religion, and the Sacrements are not in the Protestant faith. Protestants also do not have confessions like Catholics do.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]There are a few who are Catholic in ToJ. I hope that this does not turn into a Catholic vs Protestant thread....If it does, I hope an admin will delete it promptly.
Sorry, I must be in the wrong place, I thought I was in a religous discussion forum...

I was just wondering about what they base prayer to Mary and all the saints on? And who are these saints? and what do they do? but I don't think there are any catholics around...

Protestants do have "sacraments". Whereas the Catholic Church holds 7, the Protestant Church only accepts two: baptism and the Eucharist. Thus we didn't exactly "take" the sacraments from the Catholic Church when we began; dropping 5 less-than-Biblical sacraments was all part of the reform.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Sorry, I must be in the wrong place, I thought I was in a religous discussion forum...

Protestant vs Catholic arguements seems to bring out the worst in protestants.  I am pretty sure we lost a few members who were Catholic last go around, and I would hate to see it happen again.  I am not an admin on this board, so I don't have the final say.  But I do have an opinion on it.
wink.gif

Cory

I'm not trying to discourage questions.
smile.gif
Questions are good and fun (for the most part) They make me think.

Cory

From what I read, the Sacrements are REQUIRED, while they are NOT in Protestantism.
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Protestant vs Catholic arguements seems to bring out the worst in protestants.I am pretty sure we lost a few members who were Catholic last go around, and I would hate to see it happen again.
Me too. But as long as we keep it relatively friendly ( Never can know with some of you. ;) Nah just messing. ) it should be fine.

Back