Hole in my car..what to do...

CCGR

Well yesterday with the snow my car wouldn't stop sliding after it stopped. An 8 or 16 wheeler truck kindly let me bump into it's tire and didn't even feel it help me! Anyways we both drove off thinking nothing of it. Upon arriving at my work parking lot I see my plastic (Saturn) front now has a big hole in it. What to do, what to do.

Facts:

car is nearing 130,000
driver window regulator broke
car burns/leaks oil but still runs great
I hate car payments

this is not worth raising my insurance over. the car still runs but the engine is visible through this hole.

Oh man. Sorry to hear that.

My feeling on cars is they simply get you from A to B. So I say hold on to it. Car payments...yuk!

Depending on your insurance company, your rates MAY not actually go up if it is your first offense in some number of years. How do they even handle the case where your car slides in snow? Are you at fault? Is it an act of God?

ultimately it was weather conditions. but the technicallity would be my fault since I did hit the truck. Does it count if they don't notice and continue to go?

Pricing out replacement front panels from junk yards etc it could be anywhere from 75-200, not even guaranteed in my color

so it's a tough call.

I'm cheap yet I don;t like holes in my car

i would say either Fix it as cheaply as possible and try to fix the burning oil thing 2.... or go out and buy a preowned or new depending on your income/ bonouses for buying of each. i know i got a teenage friend (18) into a 01 toyota for like 10k with tax+tag and all the fees, it was like 6.9 listed

just my 2 cents hehe get a 6k dealer car and pay it off in a year, may last longer than your car now + you have a trade in too hehe

I'd fix it up. If you do buy a used car go foreign, they tend to last longer from what I've heard and seen. I own an 88 Saab, and the only thing that has really every broken down in it is the A/C.

hole in your car?

roll up your window.
biggrin.gif

Do what us bikers do and ditch your car. Get a bike, or take transit. Not only is not driving good for the environment, the upkeep is a LOT cheaper as well.

Just my two cents

NOTE: Ignore if either
1. Transit is non-existent in town. AND/OR
2. Weather is simply horrible (Rain/snow 25/8) AND/OR
3. Distance to bike is unreasonably long.

With that said, a hole in the hood might mess up the spark plugs. After all, the engine is a giant electrical generator, and water would short-circuit the thing (yes, I DID learn about this in an electronics class).

hood is slightly dented, the hole is above the wheel well on the passenger side. blue book says my car is worth 2200 (in good condition) so I guess it's worth keeping

if you do get the bumper replaced, the body could be repainted at a later time, possibly for as little as 160 (i got my 95 neon repainted for that price)

actually, if you go to a high school that has a course involving painting autos, you could ask to talk to the instructor for that course, and ask him to have your car painted.
smile.gif

well found an awesome deal a 99 Saturn with 25,000 miles on it for $5800, figure I can sell my car for $1250 and replenish my soon to be depleted savings

my hubby tapped into someone today
sad.gif
no damage to his car, some bumper work may need to be done to the other car

Bah, I'd just say that hole will help out so your engine wont overheat as easily. Ventilation!! But speaking of cars, I will be picking up my 2003 Saturn Ion3 this morning. Sweeeeet!!

GET THE SAAB THEY PWN ALL CARS!!!!!!! i wish we still had our saab. it was a 94 but my bro killed the transmission..... (clutch) and was going to take about 4k total to get it working like new again so my parents killed it and had me get the explorer
sad.gif

Yeah got the 99 Saturn and sold my old one to my inlaws. Just had the CD/MP3 player installed today. Got that off of ebay for $129

Back