Hi, my name is Ember and I'm a new ToJ member. =)

He wants me to play TF2, too. Which I really need to since I have it now (awesome gift btw). I am sooo bad at it. Really really bad. It's too embarrassing and frustrating to even try to play for real. ;_; I just forget what I'm supposed to be doing and get lost over and over and over.... There is something preventing me from being able to learn those maps. I don't really get it myself. I tried spectating one night, but no matter how much I watched, I wasn't picking it up any better than I was to begin with.

But anyway, to answer your question. Since we also got WoW as a gift, I've been playing that some. I didn't even expect to like it, but it's been pretty fun. When Tek approved my application, he checked me for the Wii, WoW, and TF2 sections. =)

Tek wanted me to mention that I also have the Madballs game. But I really didn't like it even one tiny little bit. ;_; But a lot of people think it's really fun.... >_>

Ember, you ought to try Guild Wars - you can have a delightful time and play at your own pace. All you have to do is learn a few basics - the game teaches you and that is why we have guilds, as well.

Ember just do what we all know what tek does in TF2... play a medic and just sit and heal me while I snipe. It's an easy way to farm points, isn't it Tek? :p

I think we should have the wife/girlfriend/whatever play night some of us talked about a while back. The girls play while the boys instruct. That might help me learn. Although bassman's wife would totally pwn us noobs. *lol*

He wants me to play TF2, too. Which I really need to since I have it now (awesome gift btw). I am sooo bad at it. Really really bad. It's too embarrassing and frustrating to even try to play for real. ;_; I just forget what I'm supposed to be doing and get lost over and over and over.... There is something preventing me from being able to learn those maps. I don't really get it myself. I tried spectating one night, but no matter how much I watched, I wasn't picking it up any better than I was to begin with.

Being new to fps's I can understand how it could be hard to get into :( . Honestly though TF2 is probably the easiest fps to learn maps and identify enemies/classes in as Valve took a "easy to identify" philosophy in it's design. It's not like realistic shooters which make image identification hard by their nature. It may help to remember...

1. Look for signs/arrows as there are usually many pointing the way to locations like intel and capture points.

2. On ctf and cp (not cp attack defend maps like dustbowl just cp ones) maps bases are mirror counterparts of each other. Both are color coded to their corresponding side too. Ask yourself does the area you are in have blue or red palette textures on the walls?

3. Find the guy with the mic who is willing to guide you around. Most of the difficulties in learning a new map can be off set by following the pack. I usually don't know where I am going on new maps so I just follow the group and shoot whoever they do :p.

4. Rather than spec you may want to create your own server and load a map you want to learn. It's very simple to do...

A. On the main screen (the one that comes up just as you start TF2 or that comes up when you push esc in-game) click create server.
B. Select the map you want to play in the drop down box.
C. Click the game tab at the top of the window to bring up the other options.
D. Enter a password (this is to keep people from joining).
E. Hit the start button at the bottom.

Alternatively just get Tek to show you how :p .

5. If you feel bad about getting lost I still get turned around on cp well sometimes for some reason. Of the maps it's real simple too so IDK why :p .

Tek wanted me to mention that I also have the Madballs game. But I really didn't like it even one tiny little bit. ;_; But a lot of people think it's really fun.... >_>

It's not my thing either but I do want to try playing it with the guys sometime. Now if you had said that about TF2 I'd have had to call the men in white suits to take you away :p .

I can understand the MMOs being easier too as you don't have to PVP some guy who does nothing but play it.

Last edited:
Ember, you ought to try Guild Wars - you can have a delightful time and play at your own pace. All you have to do is learn a few basics - the game teaches you and that is why we have guilds, as well.
The problem with Guild Wars is that we only have 1 account (that someone gave me), I'm not overly fond of the game (sorry, I just can't get into it, I have no idea why not), and we're not willing to drop money on a second copy. :(

Ember just do what we all know what tek does in TF2... play a medic and just sit and heal me while I snipe. It's an easy way to farm points, isn't it Tek? :p
Tru dat. Gotta rack up those points somehow, right? Might as well stick with a tried and true method.

4. Rather than spec you may want to create your own server and load a map you want to learn. It's very simple to do...

A. On the main screen (the one that comes up just as you start TF2 or that comes up when you push esc in-game) click create server.
B. Select the map you want to play in the drop down box.
C. Click the game tab at the top of the window to bring up the other options.
D. Enter a password (this is to keep people from joining).
E. Hit the start button at the bottom.

Alternatively just get Tek to show you how :p
I have a 6-slot server set up on my desktop computer. I can just fire it up any time Ember wants to practice. And if we're feeling so inclined, I can even open some ports on my router and open it to the public.

4. If you feel bad about getting lost I still get turned around on cp well sometimes for some reason. Of the maps it's real simple too so IDK why :p .
Two things:
  1. You have two point 4s in your post
  2. I'm so glad I'm not the only one who gets turned around on cp_well.

As for TF2, Ember, if you are still willing to take a few pointers, I suggest starting off as Medic. That is what I did when I first started playing the game.

By the nature of the class, you will be following others who know the map well, and you get to scope out the battle from the back while healing your teammates. Healing does not require great aiming either.

The medic also has a very important role in a team's success. After healing for a certain amount of time, you can unleash an "ubercharge" ("uber" for short), granting a player and yourself temporary invulnerability. This makes you very valuable, and teammates will naturally will go out of their way to see that you are protected.

Of course, you will be a primary target for your opponents, but that will help you develop the fundamental skills of dodging projectiles, retreating, and recognizing spies.

In the end, the Medic is a good class just to get familiar with the game and yet feel helpful in contributing to the team's success. I would suggest that your husband play as Heavy and you as Medic... but I don't see him play Heavy at all.

I would suggest that your husband play as Heavy and you as Medic... but I don't see him play Heavy at all.
And there's good reason for that--especially after the Soldier/Demo update.

I'd be willing to play Soldier and have her tag along as Medic, though. I've been playing Soldier more often since getting the Direct Hit anyway. :D

Me no likey. :( But! Your points are all good ones, so I will try it after all. ^^
If I'm playing Soldier and we have a skilled Pyro along with us, your survivability should increase exponentially.

So what you are all saying is Ember should heal Tek the soldier, while Keero the pyro protects Ember the medic...

Banzai = top 3 in the scoreboard, pal. :p I can defend if I need to. >.>

Have you seen how keero plays? He is more suicidal then I am (which is pretty hard to do).

Ah he lives fine he just has to have a medic that can keep up with him. That and he has to not mind the Medic screaming (me) in fear as he follows him around :p.

Guys, guys, guys the problem is not who will defend Ember it's who is going to play on the opposite team >.<. I just don't think I can bring myself to backstab a newbie medic... well at least a newbie medic I know :p . I mean it's not like a Spy's job is to purposely hunt down the Medic on the other team or anything >.> <.< .

Last edited:
Gerbil you remind me of the girl scout troop in Dodgeball, "You hit a girl, why would you do such a thing??? WHY???"

Back