Herod's Temple

Abea

Tribe of Judah Social Media Manager
Looking for a place near my house where I can build Herod's temple. Wolfman has suggested that I use the mountain top leading down into his area. If you are on his skywalk, just before you descend, it would be off to the right a little ways down the peak. I'm also looking at another mount that is somewhat to it's self more toward KoahJohnson's place. Either way, unless I find somewhere else, this would fall between KoahJohnson and Wolfman. Before I start anything, I want to see if that area is clear. This is a huge project. I will scale the outer dimensions down to 1/3 the actual size which will make the area about 200x200 blocks.

Please let me know if this area is already being occupied by someone. Or, maybe you have another suggestion, just let me know. It has to be on a mount - ya know, Temple on the Mount thing. lol

As soon as I find a location, I will open this up for anyone who wants to to help. I'll post the plans here and you can feel free to pitch in any time building or items you'd like, or not, it's up to you.

So far all the plans I have laid out is the floor and outer walls and I'm looking at the following materials:

Gravel - 243.5 stacks
Sandstone - 297 stacks
Stone - 20 stacks
Half stone slabs - 2 stacks

I will also need a tremendous amount of wool as most of the inside of the temple was marble.

I'll put boxes at spawn in case someone wants to donate materials. There will also be boxes at the site once it's established.

Herod's Temple was the temple that Jesus was brought to as an infant, was sitting in when his parents had to look for him, and was the one he turned over the tables in.

Thanks!

Exodus 25:1AND THE Lord said to Moses, 2Speak to the Israelites, that they take for Me an offering. From every man who gives it willingly and ungrudgingly with his heart you shall take My offering. ... 8Let them make Me a sanctuary, that I may dwell among them.

My current building plans include a swimming pool in my basement, and a giant vertical shaft under that. I'll create myself a small shuttle in front of my house, and create something bigger that's much farther away (which will be a very distant mining site.) That being said, I offer you any mountains that are near Pastor's Valley (my place) for your bulding project. In addition, I will offer you what stone you need, and what gravel I can find.

Thanks Koah.

I've decided on my mountain top, it's right behind my house. I have boxes up there with supplies that I am collecting to be used for building. There is also a mailbox at my glass house if you have some extra and are passing through and want to drop them off. I might put a box at spawn as well, if no one minds.

Anyone who wants to is welcome to donate items or donate labor. I will post TO DOs here. If you complete any of them, post something here saying you did.

Phase I - Foundation

A. Building the base. A 200 x 200 DIRT block area on top of the hill. The entrance will come up from the North side (I think north is toward Pastor's Valley?). I want to keep from shadowing any part of the land below too much. But the North part is the most un-inhabited, so it would be best to hang out over there most.

B. While laying the dirt floor, set a torch every 6 blocks randomly, we aren't using them for counting anymore.

DONE C. Might as well clear the trees underneath. Would like all the regular (cedar) trees kept for the project, everything else is free to the clearer.

D. I'd like the mountain to appear a little more natural than just a platform floating on the mountain, so we need to start at like 5 blocks from the outside edge of the platform and fill it in so that it looks more like a mountain range. We can be creative with this. Don't need it to be solid, would like the underneath left open. My sample of working this out is a dirt walk thingy over by my church. I don't know, just making it up as I go. lol

E. A GRAVEL floor will need to be laid out on top of the 200x200 dirt area. Some of it will be dug up later, but most of it will be gravel. Torches will have to be reset after laying GRAVEL on torch block.

Supplies Need:

Gravel, Cobblestone (for stone), Sand (for sandstone), Cedar Wood, and White Wool. And of course torches.

Going to be a MASSIVE project!

Last edited:
Progress

Woot! We made some progress today. Cleared out all the trees, got more than a quarter of the platform down.

Lost-Shepherd did a lot of work before we were on and then Soka7 came on and pitched in a lot of supplies and labor. Then LucusofValor and BDUDE joined us as well. Lucus brought a ton of supplies as well. Lots of fun, especially since there are a ton of MOBS under us now. Lost enjoys pushing them off the edge. While Soka, enjoys dumping lava on them. Both of them took a turn at dive bombing them as well! lol

Falling off seems to be something we do regularly. Sneaking around all the time hurts our backs and we just randomly stand up and WEEEEEE we hit the ground. Couple of times I almost made a basket with myself at the basketbowl court! hahahah! Getting to the top can prove challenging as it is more like running a gauntlet, very challenging. Dodge a zombie while being shot out by 3 skeletons only to run into 2 creepers - BOOM!!! :p

Lots of fun so far! :)

Attached some pictures of the progress so far.

View attachment 1314

View attachment 1315

Last edited:
Moving right along. Got some supplies from Wolfeman. JDC and Catakou have pitched in a helping hand with labor. It's awesome to see so many helping out in what ever way they can.

About half of the foundation is laid, it's a little slow going because we have to keep re-suppling the supply box. Also built an outside wall around half of the structure. REALLY REALLY NEED DIRT. {begs}

Phase I - Foundation

A. Building the base. Just fill in based on the outline with either DIRT or COBBLESTONE. Preferable Cobble until all the outside foundation walls have been finished.

B. While laying the floor, don't forget to set a torch every 6 blocks randomly, we aren't using them for counting anymore. There should be supplies in the box to make torches if there aren't any there.

C. I'd like the mountain to appear a little more natural than just a platform floating on the mountain. I've built a wall around the outside edge. It just needs to be made to look more "mountainy" from the outside. We can be creative with this.

D. A GRAVEL floor outline has been laid out, now it just needs to be filled in with gravel.

Phase 2 - Exterior Wall and Street

A. I've laid out the SANDSTONE South and West walls (the corner is finished). These walls will be as think as the sample laid out and 30-40 blocks high. The height can vary, just not too dramatic. Like don't make it every other one a different height, keep at least 3 rows at a time the same height.

B. I've laid out the STONE South and West walls (the corner is finished). These will be as wide as the sample laid out and only the one block high.

You can use anything in the boxes that are not marked by an individual IF you are working on the project. There are supplies in the box like feathers, bones, flint, etc that will not be used on the project, however, IF you have helped in anyway, please feel free to take any of these things as a token of appreciation. Be kind and leave some for others.

Re-supply of Cobble and dirt can be gotten from under the base. There is a stair case down just a short ways from the supply boxes. Be sure to replace the extra piece of dirt so mobs don't come up in. Thanks! If you work on re-suppling, we ask that you give at least 50% of what you mine to the project. The other 50% is yours to choose what to do with.

Supplies Needed, if you can donate it would be greatly appreciated:

Dirt, Gravel, Cobblestone (for stone), Sand (for sandstone), Cedar Wood, and White Wool. And of course torches.

REALLY Appreciate all the help. It's fun!

View attachment 1317

View attachment 1318

View attachment 1319

Major progress made today. Got some more supplies from Wolfeman. Koahjohnson pitched in a MASSIVE helping hand with labor and materials. Still lots to do if you'd like to get in on the action in any way.

About less than 1/4 of foundation is left to be laid, Koah made major progress today, said he had plenty of practice after building his pirate ship 5 times. The wall around the bottom outside is connected. The only major section left to do is the south-eastern wall. Originally I went around the church but I think I'm going to change that. Just a little left on the North-western section and it will be complete. Did some landscaping and filling in holes made by creepers while collecting dirt and cobble. Kind of dug them out neat and then just covered with a layer of dirt. Helping to get some of the mob spawning down. Still very unsafe under there.

Phase I - Foundation

A. Building the base. Just fill in based on the outline with either DIRT or COBBLESTONE. Preferable Cobble until all the outside foundation walls have been finished.

B. While laying the floor, don't forget to set a torch every 6 blocks randomly, we aren't using them for counting anymore. There should be supplies in the box to make torches if there aren't any there.

C. I'd like the mountain to appear a little more natural than just a platform floating on the mountain. I've built a wall around the outside edge. It just needs to be made to look more "mountainy" from the outside. We can be creative with this.

D. A GRAVEL floor outline has been laid out, now it just needs to be filled in with gravel.

A. I've laid out the SANDSTONE South and West walls (the corner is finished). These walls will be as think as the sample laid out and 30-40 blocks high. The height can vary, just not too dramatic. Like don't make it every other one a different height, keep at least 3 rows at a time the same height.

B. I've laid out the STONE South and West walls (the corner is finished). These will be as wide as the sample laid out and only the one block high.

You can use anything in the boxes that are not marked by an individual IF you are working on the project. There are supplies in the box like feathers, bones, flint, etc that will not be used on the project, however, IF you have helped in anyway, please feel free to take any of these things as a token of appreciation. Be kind and leave some for others.

Re-supply of Cobble and dirt can be gotten from under the base. There is a stair case down just a short ways from the supply boxes. Be sure to replace the extra piece of dirt so mobs don't come up in. Thanks! If you work on re-suppling, we ask that you give at least 50% of what you mine to the project. The other 50% is yours to choose what to do with.

Dirt, Gravel, Cobblestone (for stone), Sand (for sandstone), Cedar Wood, and White Wool. And of course torches.

REALLY Appreciate all the help. It's fun!

View attachment 1322

View attachment 1323

View attachment 1324

I just started my new job and will be working all week. Might not get on much but will try to check in and see if there is any other progress made.

I did get on and am almost finished with the wall. Another couple of stacks of dirt and it should be all finished up. Fighting off spiders and skellys, along with a few creeper explosions takes up time and makes the process slow.

Phase I - Foundation

Was on for just a bit today. Someone made some serious progress. Really appreciate it!

Gravel has started being laid. Only a small portion of the South-West flooring needs laid. The outside sandstone wall is at two blocks high on three sides. (The reason the North walk isn't being built is because I have to figure out the steps etc for there). The wall underneath is almost finished. Needs some more torches set out, seen three creeps hanging around in the shadows. Was alone and didn't want to get into a confrontation I couldn't handle alone without something getting damaged. lol

Great job guys and gals! :)

View attachment 1326

WOW! Progress. Logged on today to find Justin... and Koah... on the temple. Koah is the Flash at laying out blocks, I can't keep him supplied with materials fast enough! lol Wolfman pitched in with helping me find some gravel as well. Bascom... stopped by to check the place out and die a few times underneath in the warzone. I think we could make a competition for who can stay alive the longest under there. hahaha!

Anyway, progress is moving fast and now I'm trying to figure out what the next move is. Will try to get on sometime tomorrow and lay out some more Phases.

For now, the streets (stone) and the outside walls can be laid. Feel free to leave a hole to walk through until I figure out where the gates actually go.

Phase I:

Phase I - Foundation

COMPLETED Building the base. Just fill in based on the outline with either DIRT or COBBLESTONE. Preferable Cobble until all the outside foundation walls have been finished.

COMPLETED While laying the floor, don't forget to set a torch every 6 blocks randomly, we aren't using them for counting anymore. There should be supplies in the box to make torches if there aren't any there.

ON HOLD D. A GRAVEL floor outline has been laid out, now it just needs to be filled in with gravel. Hold off on this for now, need to figure out where what courts are so we don't gravel where we don't need to.

Phase II: Outer Walls and Court

Here are some dimensions for reference but you can just follow the examples I've set up.:

o WEST WALL: 162 blocks long, 17 blocks wide (we aren't making it that wide, just follow the guide laid out), 8 blocks high (THIS IS A CHANGE FROM PLAN). There will be four gates along this wall that will be 1.5 blocks wide by 3 blocks high). The most southerly of these four gates will be 4 blocks north of the southwest corner of the outer wall. The street will be 3 blocks wide. The walls will be of sandstone, the street of stone.

There will be a portico along the inside of the wall, I've put up a sample that can be followed. They are made of wool and planks. If we need to, we could use snow I guess. The wall will be 4 blocks high.

o EAST WALL: 153 blocks long, and similar to the West wall. There will be one gate 2 blocks wide by 3 blocks high. The portical will be the same as on the west wall. No street.

o NORTH WALL: 105 blocks long, and similar to the East wall. One gate, 2 blocks wide by 3 blocks high. The portical is the same as on the west and east walls. No street.

o SOUTH WALL: 93 blocks long. A paved street 3 blocks wide. Two gates 2 blocks wide by 3 blocks high. The pontical is HUGE! just follow what I have up. There will eventually be a stair case in front of 22 blocks wide and the other gate 15 blocks wide. One was an entrance and the other an exit.

Great job everyone - It's moving along very nicely!

Working all this week, will be on when I can.

Things are moving along very nicely. I heard Catakou laid some stacks of gravel. And Justin brought by some snow. If anyone else did something that I missed - thanks and sorry I didn't mention you by name. :(

Justin made a portal to under the stairway up to the deck. So it's easy to get there now. Thanks so much Justin.

Marked out where the Inner Courts will be, fascinating how small they are compared to the outer courts. Of course, the outer courts could easily hold 200,000 people. There were also sleeping quarters for Levites on duty. Didn't know that! :)

Phase I - Foundation

o Fill in all the area inside the Standstone wall with GRAVEl. Technically some of it was stone, but that would be too much to collect right now. So maybe I'll replace it later. Most of it was really multi-colored stones, which GRAVEL seems to fit.

o Walls need stacked to appropriate height with SANDSTONE
o Walls need widen to match example with SANDSTONE
o Street needs laid to example on West and South Walls with STONES
o Portico needs finished, just follow example with SNOW BLOCKS and WOODEN PLANKS

Here are some dimensions for reference but you can just follow the examples I've set up.:

o WEST WALL: 162 blocks long, 8 blocks high, and I think 3 or 5 wide (follow the example).
o EAST WALL: 153 blocks long, and similar to the West wall. No street.
o NORTH WALL: 105 blocks long, and similar to the East wall. No street.
o SOUTH WALL: 93 blocks long. A paved street 3 blocks wide.

Supplies needed:

o Gravel
o Snow/Ice Blocks
o Light Grey Wool - a stack or two should do for now
o Sandstone
o Wood planks

Thanks for everyone's help.

Here's some updated pictures. I am fascinated by the South Portico called the Royal Porch. It's cool looking!

View attachment 1332

View attachment 1333

Last edited:
Hi, I have been working on a version of Herod's Temple myself, and I have spent almost 3 months making it. There's a LOT more to go on it, but still.

I would LOVE to join you in this quest, but I would also LOVE to include my work on this. What I have completed (mostly) is the Women's Court and the temple itself. The outer courts, I have not started, as this would be an INCREDIBLE feat of determination and teamwork!

I don't know the information of your server yet, but I would LOVE to join you guys. My name in-game is Cantore. I am a born again Christian, and I have been looking for a Christian server. The server that I have created Herod's Temple on was a non-Christian server. I received only one person's assistance (on the large amounts of cobblestone used for the stairs. The Moderator of the server actually spawned a TON of glowstone for me, but the gold blocks were received by a market mod. I would kill mobs, which would then give me cash, which I would use to buy the gold blocks. All the diamond blocks were actually mined by myself.

I really would like to have this put on your server for all of your pleasure and inspiration (using MCEdit). I have currently moved the Temple into my own folder just before my server was discontinued (not enough members were willing to pay after World of Tanks came out, and that became their focus).

If you're interested in pics, please e-mail me at drdav26@hotmail.com

Day 14 - Lot's got done today. We also moved the boxes to the middle of the base, makes it much nicer to get to as you work on whatever side you pick. I put up signs with tasks on them, if you complete the task, just put the sign back in a box. The box contains changed as well. I put all the supplies for specific projects in the same box.

Phase I - Foundation

o MOSTLY COMPLETED Gravel flooring: TOJBen, busy little bee that he was today, filled in almost all that was remaining with gravel. Just need to buzz through and fill in what is left. He didn't pull up torches, so all them need to be pulled and gravel placed in there, but I don't think we need to do that just yet unless mobs become a problem. We'll probably pull more of them up in the end anyway. Just be careful when your walking because you can easily fall and might sprain your angle or something. :p

o Walls need stacked to appropriate height with SANDSTONE
o Walls need widen to match example with SANDSTONE
o Street needs laid to example on West and South Walls with STONES
o (1/4 Finished)Portico needs finished, just follow example with SNOW BLOCKS and WOODEN PLANKS. I mapped out where the pillars should be with wool. So just pull up the wool and replace with snow. Ben and I (did you like that Wolfman <wink>) finished up the South Portico known as the Royal Portico - it's awesome looking!

o WEST WALL: 162 blocks long, 8 blocks high, and I think 3 or 5 wide (follow the example).
o EAST WALL: 153 blocks long, and similar to the West wall. No street.
o NORTH WALL: 105 blocks long, and similar to the East wall. No street.
o SOUTH WALL: 93 blocks long. A paved street 3 blocks wide.

Supplies needed:

o Snow/Ice Blocks
o Light Grey Wool - a stack or two should do for now
o Sandstone
o Wood planks

Here's some updated pictures. I think the South Portico is beautiful. Imagine it is 3 times bigger - because this is a 1/3 scale model!!

View attachment 1335

View attachment 1336

Hi, I have been working on a version of Herod's Temple myself, and I have spent almost 3 months making it. There's a LOT more to go on it, but still.

I would LOVE to join you in this quest, but I would also LOVE to include my work on this. What I have completed (mostly) is the Women's Court and the temple itself. The outer courts, I have not started, as this would be an INCREDIBLE feat of determination and teamwork!

I don't know the information of your server yet, but I would LOVE to join you guys. My name in-game is Cantore. I am a born again Christian, and I have been looking for a Christian server. The server that I have created Herod's Temple on was a non-Christian server. I received only one person's assistance (on the large amounts of cobblestone used for the stairs. The Moderator of the server actually spawned a TON of glowstone for me, but the gold blocks were received by a market mod. I would kill mobs, which would then give me cash, which I would use to buy the gold blocks. All the diamond blocks were actually mined by myself.

I really would like to have this put on your server for all of your pleasure and inspiration (using MCEdit). I have currently moved the Temple into my own folder just before my server was discontinued (not enough members were willing to pay after World of Tanks came out, and that became their focus).

If you're interested in pics, please e-mail me at drdav26@hotmail.com
/bump for newly approved post

Here's some updated pictures. I think the South Portico is beautiful. Imagine it is 3 times bigger - because this is a 1/3 scale model!!

I would be most interested in doing a 1/1 scale of this with you. The temple I completed is in this scale, and it is HUGE lol. I wanted to make the outer courts, and I have been wanting to for quite some time. I know that you've been working hard at this project for 2 weeks. May I merge my version of Herod's Temple with your outer courts??? Of course, your work would have to be greatly enlarged, but still...

I WISH I knew how to send you some pics of this.

RE: Cantore,

So sorry I didn't see your first post. Been training at a new job and very exhausted when I get home. Thanks Tek for bumping it up.

We'd welcome you joining us. As far as the technical aspect of merging stuff, I have no idea about that. I can't make mine bigger because of space constraints, that is why it is 1/3 scale. We are not spawning anything. Everything is being donated or mined ourselves. We weren't going to be using Gold either, since we really can't get enough - we'll probably use yellow wool instead. We are improvising where we need to. I wasn't planning to use cobble either, since I really don't think it fits the description of what was laid out. And we are using snow everywhere that was marble - which is almost everywhere!

Come join us and with the admins we can figure out about merging whatever, wherever, and however. lol

I wanted to do 1/1, but I figured the project would be way too long and would loose momentum, since we aren't spawning anything.

If you go to the thread that says "White-list" you can get white listed for our sever and I think all the information is there. I'm on the TOJ server.

I'm really tired right now, and a little ditsy ahaha, so comprehending what you are saying might not work for me. lol

But if I understand right, you have the women's court and temple done, and want to merge it onto my base? And your's is at a 1/1 scale, so my base would have to be extremely enlarged - is that it?

Anyway, get hooked up with our server and we'll chat some more. Would be much easier to do on Teamspeak - so maybe you can catch me there later on tonight or tomorrow.

Am I rambling?? Probably not even making any sense. :eek:

Pictures - just hit F2 while in game. Then on the message you post here, click on the little paper clip on the menu bar above the text area (Fonts/Sizes/Font Color/Emots/Paper Clip)

Then choose the picture - minecraft pictures are stored under your user account, under App Data/Roming/Minecraft/screenshots. If you can't see the App Data folder it's cause it's a system folder and you need to set permissions for viewing hidden files.

After it is uploaded, close the pop up window. Then, go to the bottom of your text and on click on the paper clip down arrow and click insert all.

Let me know if you have any other questions - see ya soon.

I have saved my version of Herod's Temple by means of MCEdit.

Therefore, I COULD just make the platform, walls, and all the pillars needed to make it work at the same time that the Temple gets introduced. I would not finish the actual interior structure though... this would be a crime IMO if we had nothing to work on as a team. Instead, I would offer just the most difficult things to find/mine. The walls, and the Pillars are absolutely the worst... since the amount of materials would be outragious.

As far as the rest of the outer courts, and all of its grandure - I would leave that to our building expertise in-game. I also feel that it would be a crime to Christianity if it were not done to the best of our abilities, since it IS a historical building of Christ's time. This is why I am offering to make the platform and basics of the walls... so that all of the gateways, and other enterances can be to scale as well. This would give the player a glimps of the grand scale and wonder of the Temple at Jesus' time! Obviously, I am very passionate about this project. :cool:

I am asking if this is alright with you, I guess. You guys have been working so hard on this project already. I've even gone and checked out the site just tonight, and was very impressed!

If you want this to be a fasinatingly grand reality, let us collaborate together to make this happen.

Obsticles:
- Lighting: It is SUCH a large surface to light, that I fear the mobs would spawn all over. This is why in my version of Herod's Temple, I went overboard with Glowstone lighting. There has been NO mobs spawning within, and the effect is MUCh nicer than torches every 5 spaces. If I were to build a platform for the Temple, would you guys be ok with me using Glowstone blocks to light it?

- Admins: Every server has them, and they are to be respected, and as much as the rules that they establish within the server. However, in a project of this scale, it would just take too long to build this project in the proper scale (as you well know). This is why I would need their permission and full support to bring in (via MCEdit) an aspect of historical scale never seen by minecraft players.

- Stepping on Toes: I am new here. As such, I would NEVER want to just take over, or step on the efforts of those who've done such a wonderful job so far on this project. Thusly, I am thinking that the best solution is to make the platform so bare, that there would simply be TONS to do still in order to make it look and feel as awesome as its scale. For example, The Enterances, porches, lighting, interior decor, fencing, gating, etc. would ALL be done with the participation of the fine members already helping with this project. Believe me, this will keep everyone busy for the next few months!

Mobs/Explosions: I was thinking about putting a layer of Obsidian (should I build the platform) 2 blocks beneath the surface of the platform to prevent any creepers from blowing the snot out of all the work we'd be doing here. Good idea?

CONCLUSION:
Well, I guess I'm wanting to get a feel as to IF you'd like me to build this platform (Outer court walls, floor, and pillars) at all. I wouldn't want to focus such time on something that wouldn't be used, or would have no ability to be used.

Well, I guess I'm wanting to get a feel as to IF you'd like me to build this platform (Outer court walls, floor, and pillars) at all. I wouldn't want to focus such time on something that wouldn't be used, or would have no ability to be used.

Like I said, I'm really tired so I might not understand this right (I'm not sure I know what my name is right now) lol. Are you saying that you would start over with everything? We've already finished the floor (platform) and the South Portical. There is no place to expand the current "platform." I had to cut it short as it is. So it would have to be moved in order to increase the size, which I'm not sure I would want to do just yet. I'd want to talk this over with some other people who have put a whole lot of time in to the current project.

Your place looks great, but I'm trying to follow, as best I can, the materials used on Herod's Temple. There wasn't gold everywhere, Solomon's temple had a lot of Gold, but not Herod's. The sources I'm using record that:

The floor of the court of the Gentiles was paved with stones of multi-colors. The Pillars were white marble and the roof was cedar. We are using gravel, snow, and wood planks.

The Inner Courts partition was made of stone. And the gates were Corinthian bronze, some say brass. We will use stone, and we'll figure out what to use in place of bronze/brass when we get there.

The Women's Court floor was also multi-colored stone. The gates (like the other ones) were overlaid with silver and gold. We are using gravel and right now, we are using light grey wool for silver covered - we are kind of skipping the gold at the moment.

The Court of Israel was partitioned off by a stone balustrade. We will use stone.

In the Court of the Priest was an altar made of unwrought stone and it had a multi-colored stone floor. We will use stone and gravel.

The Holy place and Holy of Holies was gold. The roof was made of cedar wood. There was a large stone slab in place of where the ark once sat. Haven't though this far ahead yet.

As far as it being used, it probably won't be. I plan to have my house be in Antonia's Fortress, since my glass house really won't fit the decor any more. That's probably the extend of it getting used. Other than that, people will visit, but I doubt it will be used for much. I also have a replica Bible time farm house that will need moved and repaired.

Maybe it would help if you could describe exactly what you want to do. Take what is existing now and tell us what you'd like to do from there. After that, I'd like to get other people's opinions on this as it really has been a collaborative effort.

I'm sure we will be willing to work with you and use some of what you have. Just have to get other peoples input.

Thanks for the input. It's good to know where you're at with regards to any revamping/overhauling of the current Temple and its design.

It's funny that you should mention about the Temple having too much gold. On the exterior, I had originally built it with white wool, to exemplify the fact that it was made of a white marble. I chose to change the wool to yellow, just for the sheer sake of its pillars not standing out at all from a distance. Now, you can actually SEE the pillars, but before, there was hardly an indication that the pillars existed on the exterior of the temple. There was an artist's drawing of the temple, which showed the temple exterior outlayed in gold. So, I just chose to use that depiction just for appearance sake alone.

I liked that you mentioned about the roof being made of Cedar. I had forgotten this point. I shall have that revamped on my model! :D

As far as the multi-coloured floor of the courts, I had used stone and cobblestone, but I took out the cobblestone, and replaced them all with Glowstone, to give much-needed light to a vast area which would easily spawn 200 or more mobs in one temple courtyard! This led to the a group expedition to help with the coal and wood needed to make over 3000 torches. However, after all that, the torches on the ground did NOT give the desired effect that I wished for, simply because it looked silly to walk through a mess of torches without lighting your pants on fire. :p At that point, the moderator/admin of the server took a vote to see if it was ok for me to spawn the glowstone necessary to light such a massive space. Two members declined, but the rest were ok with it. So, I made sure that no other mob was able to spawn within the sacred courts of this temple lol.

So, it's obvious that space and time already spent crafting are large issues with a project of the scale of which I speak of.

The only solution that I could think of would be a bit 'out of the box.' Therefore, I am thinking that you probably won't want to do this at all:
In MCEdit, when/if I transferred my temple and platform design, I could move that to ANY spot in the map at all. This would probably mean a more remote area (so as to be as undisturbing as possible to the current map, and its building spaces). I could also take out the current platform that you have made (at that time) if you wanted me to do this. It wouldn't take longer than 2 minutes.

If this solution is too much, or the feelings and efforts of the team will be hurt or feel betrayed in ANY way, I will digress from this project all-together. By no means am I trying at all to take away from the unity, community, and friendship of the existing group working on this project. My intension is simply to offer what I've already completed, but since the scale is MUCH larger, I am at a loss as to how it would/could work with the project that is being worked on by the team, unless it was possible to move the platform to a new location... something that seems as though it won't be tollerated well?

On a side note, when the Outer courts is completed, I intend to make Herod's fortress, and then eventually the entire landscape of Jerusalem itself in a MASSIVE scale map. Then, I intend to offer it as a themed starting position to the Christian community so that they can experience Jerusalem, and build their own houses there as part of the city. But, for now, I just settle for this.

To Cantore,

I've talked things over with at least half of the major contributors and everyone is saying the same things. First, we really don't want to move the Temple somewhere else, and there is no room to expand it - so that pretty much make the decision. In addition, we feel like we've put a lot of work into this one and have enjoyed it and don't really want to take a short cut with importing anything. Also, it seems that the styles will be quite different.

So with all that said, we still don't mind at all if you put yours somewhere else on the same map. It might be kind of cool to see it 1/1. TOJBen said he'd look around on the map for a place big enough if you want to do that. If you don't want to do that, I think there might be another new map, so maybe you can put it on that one. Bascom also has a server that runs minecraft wwjd something is the server name, there is a post in the General Section about it.

Feel free to help with ours if you'd like. It won't be as grand as yours though as we are not spawning anything for it. We will get materials as we can and change them up as supply comes in, ie torches for glowstone.

Look forward to working with you, if not on this project, a different one in the future. My son is planning to do Solomon's temple out his way. This could be really cool!

See ya in minecraft!

Back