Guild Wars 2 Chapter

Hey, I just wanted to weigh in both as a current member of one of the Guild Wars guilds (and the in-game alliance) and as someone who has been previewing STC’s work:

1 – STC has been doing great work capturing the values and goals of the existing community, in preparation for a guild to continue in that spirit in Guild Wars 2. I don’t know exactly when all this is going to post, but it will be well before GW2 actually releases (and they start making guilds and permanent characters and whatnot).

2 – I’m all for having as many guilds as it takes to meet the needs of every Christian player in Guild Wars 2. However, I would strongly advocate waiting to see what the current community publishes first… and even how that shakes out once it launches.

Ok I hear you Brydon and I am not attempting to be a deserting voice but I do have some concerns, it was 10 days ago we were told an announcement would be very soon. No one is calling for a forum just to have any old guild built from it but rather one to start gathering information and helpful stuff. A forum that is separate from the SOE/Soe forums that can be quickly used to find stuff about GW2 and only GW2.

AND GW2 has launched its prebuy already 6 days ago, people all over the net are ramping up regardless of the names they will get in game for the players or the guilds. They are spurning excitement and recruiting for guilds that do not exist in game yet.

We have been waiting to see our leadership launch this thing with a boom and we are still waiting, I am excited for this game and it feels like guild design posts are getting locked because leadership may not like the suggestions they are getting from them.

The only really good thread about guild planning was in regards to the guild name, just got closed out of the discussion of the masses for 10 days now with no announcement. I like STC and yourself, and I am not one to get upset about locked posts but it was a good exciting conversation. People were getting rapidly excited about the possible names that "OUR" guild would take at launch and that thread was taking off and then closed with the age old monarchy slogan of ill get back with you soon, now be quiet. (at least it felt like that to me)

Im a realist and I know Im not in charge but I also know Im active on forums to be around for discussions like this one. I want to be around for major discussions especially with games I am really excited about, and GW2 is just that, and I know it is for you guys too. BUT I also know we might even need alternative names, we may jump into game just to have our name or guild name gone, unusable and what not.

Back to the point about GW1 linking: I am not alone in this line of thinking that I am attempting to join a CLUB that existed before I showed up, just to feel like my suggestions and comments were just ignored. In fact I had one post that I can’t find now because it’s not showing up on that forum for me for some reason that was completely ignored and I thought I had made some good suggestions in it.

To be honest and truthful with everyone I don’t feel accepted, it feels like a good ol’ boys club that I am not fitting into. I have been part of Christian guilds for the better part of 6 years now, and I have never felt this way about a guild that I have joined or been around for the start up of. I have been on ToJ’s website and part of various guilds here and there and have always felt like I was accepted but this has been a serious disappointment for me as a whole.

There now I said it, Im ready for the ripping of my life now and I am not one to take say things of forums to get a rise out of people, but I tell you I see why the others have been concerned, I am downright frightened about it. I want Christian fellowship and excitement about the best game I have ever heard of and I am scared of the way this whole deal has been handled. I want to trust that this is just a bump in the road for this, and I want to believe that it will all be better in just a short bit, but I tell ya, I am concerned deeply.

"weigh in both as a current member of one of the Guild Wars guilds (and the in-game alliance)"

This is what I am talking about its as if, when your a member of the original GW guild or club you have a better say in all things GW2. I cant help but feel this way because there have been multiple posts that say things like this. AND GW2 is going to be filled; absolutely flooded with people who have never ever played GW1.

Have a little faith, people. Stc95 has been leading Tribe of Judah's Guild Wars Chapter for years now. I trust him to handle pre-release preparations for GW2.

Thanks, Tek. I agree completely. Stc is our fearless leader - right out of GW1and into GW2.

I think what Tarsis is trying to say is, with the pre-purchase out there now, there seems to be a lack of communication from the leadership and also a lack of acceptance to new ideas.

Frankly, as far as I'm concerned this is a COMPLETELY new game and only similar to GW1 in name alone. So, why is there a grandfathering in of all things GW1? A blank slate probably would have been a smarter idea considering the influx of new people.

To be honest and truthful with everyone I don’t feel accepted

Hey Tagtarsis,

I just wanted to log on real quick to tell you that I'm sorry you feel that way. It's not my hope (or anybody else's) that you feel excluded.

I've had a great bunch of fun over the last several years playing with a great group of people in GW1, and I plan to play with them again in GW2. That's all. One of the reasons that I like them is that they welcomed me, and they will welcome you as well.

I just gave my credentials because I don't play a lot of other games but GW and I wanted people to know where I'm from. That's all.

Also rereading my post, I realized that I say "Hey" instead of "Hi" because of my Southern upbringing. I hope you didn't take that as an angry "Hey!" :)

As far as starting with a blank slate, I don't agree... I don't know if Modern Warfare or Battlefield groups start over when something new comes out... But there are a lot of us who have been playing GW1 for a long time and expectantly looking forward to GW2 as a continuation of that experience.

But, of course, just because I don't prefer a blank slate, doesn't mean NOBODY can start with a blank slate. I wouldn't tell anybody they can't do that. I just said look and see if the community that's already in play is going to be really close to what you're looking for.

Summary: Whatever comes out, whatever you do or I do, come play with us. Let's run around and have fun in Kryta together.

Last edited:
People were getting rapidly excited about the possible names that "OUR" guild would take at launch and that thread was taking off and then closed with the age old monarchy slogan of ill get back with you soon, now be quiet. (at least it felt like that to me)

Back to the point about GW1 linking: I am not alone in this line of thinking that I am attempting to join a CLUB that existed before I showed up, just to feel like my suggestions and comments were just ignored. In fact I had one post that I can’t find now because it’s not showing up on that forum for me for some reason that was completely ignored and I thought I had made some good suggestions in it.

To be honest and truthful with everyone I don’t feel accepted, it feels like a good ol’ boys club that I am not fitting into. I have been part of Christian guilds for the better part of 6 years now, and I have never felt this way about a guild that I have joined or been around for the start up of. I have been on ToJ’s website and part of various guilds here and there and have always felt like I was accepted but this has been a serious disappointment for me as a whole.

Well said... To be honest I think this talk about our guild and current guild should choose... this is a new game not a rehash or an update. I am already aware of many ToJ members that bought that game that have look elswhere for guilds... We that are outsiders and not in GW shouldn't become GW players to become GW2 players.

The issue is you all are treating it like an upgrade pack or expansion... this is a whole new game and while it has the same world the game is vastly different.

Well said... To be honest I think this talk about our guild and current guild should choose... this is a new game not a rehash or an update. I am already aware of many ToJ members that bought that game that have look elswhere for guilds... We that are outsiders and not in GW shouldn't become GW players to become GW2 players.

The issue is you all are treating it like an upgrade pack or expansion... this is a whole new game and while it has the same world the game is vastly different.

Thanks, Mordos, and tagtarsis, too. I think you are raising valid points. However, I'm not sure I understand the angst and urgency. We are all excited about the pre-purchase and getting going. We have been teased along since 2008. They really have created an excitement about GW2, but the new game has not come out yet.

You are correct - "this is a whole new game...the game is vastly different." None of us already in the ToJ GW chapter think differently from that, but the game has still not come out.

I do think the release is very soon. But right now there is not one single GW2 guild to join - the game has not come yet. They have not even put out info on guild structure yet. We don't know if there is going to be a limit (as the 100 in GW). All we do know is that you are going to be able to move from guild to guild more freely.

Where else are people looking for GW2 guilds? Seriously, I'd like to know. I've googled it and looked in the most likely places and I cannot find anything more than has been linked somewhere in the CGA forums. The answer to people's questions about guilds in GW2 ends up being, "Remember, the game is not out yet, it is still in beta."

Also, I haven't seen one single post in the CGA forums that has not been listened to and considered - about the name of the new guild or any other topic. Giving everyone's ideas consideration is part of what is taking so long. The fact is that it has not taken long at all. The game is still in beta - closed beta. Stc will be rolling out the information people need to make a guild choice shortly - well before the open betas are completed. No one will be able to set up a guild before the three day head start - the game has not come out yet.

CGA/ToJ is going to have a GW2 guild - totally separate from the GW guild. Everyone is welcome - more than that, encouraged - to be part. There is room for hard core play and casual play - for those who were in GW and those who have never played GW at all. You simply can't join until the game comes out and the guild is put in place in GW2.

Just be patient and check the forums. Info is coming. No one will be left out of any of the fun.

Actually, Mordos, those are just more tease. They tell us nothing new that we haven't known for some time and nothing specific.

The time to work on it is just as you say, now. And that is what is going on - working on it.

My point is that you cannot establish or join a guild until the game comes out. Hopefully that will be sometime soon.

Last edited:
Regardless of the in game database of names , there is a ton of things to do now. Recruiting, community building, official forums, decisions on things like external web page and voice chat.

Have you participated in many mmo launches Abba? Without wanting to offend your comments seem to show a lack of experience in successful guild start/launches.

Also check out the gw2 sub reddit and gw2 guru, hundreds of guilds already recruiting.

Regardless of the in game database of names , there is a ton of things to do now. Recruiting, community building, official forums, decisions on things like external web page and voice chat.

Have you participated in many mmo launches Abba? Without wanting to offend your comments seem to show a lack of experience in successful guild start/launches.

Also check out the gw2 sub reddit and gw2 guru, hundreds of guilds already recruiting.

What my client ewoks is trying to say is, he believes that heavy recruitment can already happen before the game comes out (as seen by the FF MMO and SWTOR in toj, and in just about every other MMO release elsewhere).

I will have to affirm what he is saying, though in a way that cannot cause offense. I have seen recent MMO guild launches in quite a few different "mega" clans. They all start getting interest, putting up stickies, start structuring, and start recruiting before there is even a way to join a guild in the game (a lot of times it even happens when there isn't near as much info about the game as there is out about GW2).

By starting recruitment on release day (or at least on the day you can join guilds) puts a clan at a disadvantage in these times. This is due to the hype causing people to think about all aspects of the game before release, one of which happens to be guild association.

Hope that expands upon what ewoks is saying with more clarity.

lol - No offense taken - I'm not that easily offended.

And the answer to ewoks question is: Nope - I'm naive about everything MMO launching. Thanks for the guru suggestion. That is how I found SoE/SOE.

I took a look - some sounded interesting to me. As I looked through I noticed many are continuations of previous GW guilds - with "established leadership" and "long-time friends." It occurred to me that might be one reason we are not listed yet - we are going through this "should we change our name" thing.

I was encouraged - I think I will find a guild that will be just right for me. Hopefully it will be something very similar to what I experienced in GW. Hopefully it will be with many of the same people - I just enjoy those folks. Hopefully it will be in the CGA/ToJ family.

All the stuff about being at a disadvantage if we don't go big now...that depends on what your goal is. If the goal is to be the biggest and best guild out there - well - maybe it does put you at a disadvantage. Not really what I am looking for in a guild, though. I probably won't be part of a mega-guild. I'm a little more lo-key than that.

Glad you were not offended, and the recruiting guilds forums were meant as supporting the claim that guilds are already forming not to insinuate that anyone should look for a guild anywhere else but ToJ.

Honestly, a happy medium between both ends of the spectrum is probably the right spot.

I would point to the ToJ - Called From Darkness guild and Rift - Reborn as excellent launches. In no way were they trying to be mega guilds. No one here wants a mega guild. But we will have a good sized guild and that warrants open communication and pre-launch efforts.

Ewoks are cute and lovable - never offensive. And I got your point...I'm not looking elsewhere.

There were just some interesting features in a few guilds. One that is recruiting now has a policy of only taking 10 recruits at a time - training them for a couple of weeks - then they are initiated into the guild. Another is bold - upfront - we intend to be the baddest guild out there. Interesting looking through those.

I think the prepurchase news has been the ultimate hype so far, and the fever is catching. As is planned by Arena Net. And we are losing focus on what the ToJ GW2 guild is going to be all about. We will be a group of Christian brothers and sisters joining together to play what we hope will be a fantastic game. But notice I put our faith first, and that is how StC and the rest of the current officers are framing the new guild for GW2. Yes a new guild, but with distinct roots in a game that was significant in it's modeling of an MMORPG in a new direction. Arena Net itself has placed the roots of it's totally new game in the mythic history of the first, going so far as to release two paper back books along that line, and with a third to come. But of even greater importance to us than that history of the game should be our connection as Christians. This is what has made SOE/SoE and it's alliance so different. It is what has made it possible to openly accept new people into the guild(s), and to run as smoothly as it has for so long, and the new ToJ GW2 guild I expect to have the same advantages as it's predecessor. Should we be frantic to form that guild because of the current hype? No, because we will lose focus on the basic premise of that guild, the opportunity to share Christ in the gaming community. Through much prayer and discussion the basic framework has been formed, and will be released soon. StC has much on his personal agenda right now, but has not lost sight of the importance of forming a ToJ GW2 guild. One last point. What is a mega guild? Maybe to you it is 1k or more people, to me it is 200 or more, surely it is something different to Abba and others, if we stop concentrating on sheer numbers, but on quality God will give us a guild of the perfect size for the ToJ GW2 guild. Just pray with the current leaders for that quality so that we may be ready to shine for Christ in GW2.

edit: I also forgot to mention the link between GW and GW2 that Arena Net has created, out of sheer marketing genius. The Hall of Monuments which will allow you to link your GW account with your GW2 account earning special items to use in GW2 and special titles to display in GW2. Yay I already have at least 30 points out of 50 giving me all usable items in GW2. Come join us in GW and build up your Hall of Monuments (HoM for short).

Last edited:
Ok this will be my last post about GW2 on the toj forums for a bit. I will just sit back down on my hands on my preorder number.

Thank you Brydon, your words were kind and made me feel better.

However every other post has still given off the “be quiet and just wait.”I know its not that dramatic but seriously lots of people feel like there is an issue and all I hear from the officers is the party line of just wait we will get something to you at some point.

I am not unhappy with STC as a leader its not the issue for me, but the lack of communication from the good ol’ boys club, the lack of gelling as a group of people who are not already well connected with you guys that feel really out of a loop because we have no forums for us, we have not way to build on the hype. Im not currently playing any game due to the fact that I am waiting on GW2, I want to believe that TOJ will be my family of GW2 people but it feels like there is a club that I have to wait to get into the actual game to join in on.

And yes the Hype is slightly important in that it can be used to help the guild and all those looking forward to GW2 to get to know one another and to encourage others to join us in GW2. However I don’t feel like we are capitalizing on this and I feel like I am talking to a group of people who know each other very well and have not made much of an attempt to at least be gracious of helpful suggestions, hints and even criticisms that have been levied. The only person who even seemed to understand my concerns was very gracious and made one of the best posts from the leadership since I have been reading toj GW forums.

If it’s the leaderships opinion that the hype is not important to growing up a strong guild prior to launch Ill grant you that. And I will grant you this, This will be my last post on GW2 until I make a choice as to what I am going to do as far as my own guild goes. At this point I am very disappointed.

Ursen, your post is exactly what is needed...communication. Perhaps the officers have lots and lots planned. Maybe they are working on it a bunch amongst themselves, but if we can't see that, then how are we supposed to know?

Either way, I'm excited and I love you guys. Really I do...in a completely hetero way.

Tagtarsis I can now quit sitting on my hands keeping quit and officially invite you to Legacy of Elijah. Check out the link in the official announcement for the details of purpose and Code of Conduct. You will notice my above post pointed toward the official purpose of the guild Legacy of Elijah.

Back