Git it if ya don't got it

Tek7 (Legacy)

CGA & ToJ President
So. Who bought Unreal Tournament 2004? What edition (regular or special) did you get? How long did it take you to install? Are you as ABSOLUTELY PSYCHED about AS-Mothership as I am?

Ramble on, my good people. Ramble on.

Got mine on Wed, been working my way through the single player campaign (I really like how they've introduced the money system, I think it makes the whole "you're in a league of elite warriors playing for fame and fortune" thing a lot more consistent) but haven't gotten to the Assault maps yet. Mostly been playing Onslaught online. Need to get a new head set though, mine keeps throwing static everytime I move.

Anyone else have headsets yet? Got into the voice over IP thing?

BTW, I got the regular edition and it took me about 20 mins to install I think. Like I said, Holy CDs Batman!
smile.gif

Got the special edition DVD yesterday.

Install went quick, no switching CDs as all the game content was on the first DVD. I didn't get a chance to go through the second DVD but it looks like there is a lot of good stuff for mod developers.

As for playing the game, I managed to get on last night, configure a connection to gamesurge in the ingame irc client. I then went to play a game and *poof* system crash. Upon rebooting, found out it didn't like my old sound drivers, updated them and was happily playing after another reboot. So, the install would have taken half the time if I would have had all my drivers updated.

As for the headset, my only complaint is it is uncomfortable if you wear glasses. But the voice IP worked in game. There are a lot of features for managing voice chat rooms that I'll have to learn. I don't know if anyone who has installed UT noticed the additonal icons in your taskbar. Looks like UT installs special speech software. It even looks like it has dictation capabilities which looks really neat. I wonder if it is a subset of a program like Dragon speak.

I bought the Special Edition DVD on the 18th. Got to one store and they sold out in 4-7 minutes after opening. Finally got one on hold at another store. These Special Edition DVD's are in very high demand, especially since they were the same price as the regular edition.

It took quite a while to install; 20-25 minutes maybe? Like Plankeye stated, I was glad to have it all on one disc.

I have the headset that came with the Special Edition. They're okay, but since I'm an avid CS player I already had a nice set up and might revert back to using that with UT instead of the headset that came with it - the headset will be good when I pack up for a LAN or something.

Had no problems with setup. Immediately joined IRC (once I found out that Gamesnet doesn't exist anymore!). Everything is running A-O-K! Trying to talk Goose into buying the retail version now...that'll be the hardest thing I'm dealing with right now...

smile.gif

Actually, I believe that those extra icons are part of Microsoft Speech SDK I believe, or whatever UT2004 uses by default.  For the demo, I installed teh MS SDK in order to do the voice recognition for Bot Commands; I assume that's what this is all about.

As for IRC, Plankeye, I still had problems.  I couldn't change my nick.  I could change my name in the settings, but it still wouldn't let me connect to any rooms because for some reason the IRC still had me down with my old nickname.  I could get on the server well enough, just not get into anyrooms.  Maybe I have to disconnect first before changing my user name, then reconnect.  Next stop: support forums I suppose.

BTW, here's how the ToJ is doing so far.
smile.gif

I also forgot to mention there are two places to change your name. The settings for UT controls your name for when you join game servers. There is another option located at the bottom right of the IRC screen that allows you to change you IRC nick name. Just make sure to do it before you connect.

And if that doesn't work, you can always use the old IRC commands:

/nick Shagz

Should change your name once your are connected.  After that, try joining a channel

Shewweee what a time i've had. I had called at 12 pm to best buy and they had 6 and my daughter stopped by after work and they had sold all the Special Editions and the vanilla ones too. I checked for 3 hours on the web today and nothing. So I had my wife run by our local wal-mart and she bought the vanilla one. I installed all 6 cd's and rebooted in 16 minutes. off to play now . 1:48am EST

I pre-ordered the Special Edition on February 13 from ebgames.com after seeing a link to the site that mentioned free shipping and a free "pre-order gift." Even though economy shipping was free, I opted to pay $7 for faster and more expensive shipping. My copy came by FedEx March 17 and I installed the game before church that night. I rebooted my PC, played a few rounds of single-player deathmatch, locked my PC, went to church, came back, played a round of Onslaught, then played AS-Mothership.

Man, this game is cool.

First the rebate works by filing out the form and then sending it in with the original cover of your UT2003 manual.

I got the SE Wednesday at BestBuy, since their site said they had them in stock a day before they were suposed to. Their Reward Zone card is the devil and only fuels my spending there, curse my whatever I can do to get things cheapness. I hate having 8 cds so much so I'm so glad they did this. Plus the metal box is shiny. Can't beat it though with the headset and bonus DVD for 20 bucks when the normal one was the same price.
biggrin.gif

I'm unforunatly not using the headset though cause I can't figure out how to hook it up without unhooking my speakers. I'm kinda frazzled about it since the only spots left on my Audigy are the line in, mic, and digital out since I have a 5.1 setup. Also kinda miffed cause I'd read somewhere it was going to be USB.
tounge.gif
So how can I hook this up without losing my speakers, or having to hyper extend my legs to switch things behind my case?
tounge.gif

I keep meaning to play assault ya know, and yet it hasn't happened yet. Other then onslaught I've only played the first part of the SP portion. The netcode for this is just incredible though, I mean I'm playing onslaught and it's going great on 16 people servers!
biggrin.gif
Aside from this nasty BSOD bug, and this menu's don't work bug, and the occasional but once very nasty most of the graphics mess up and get replaced by yellow lines bug.

One more thing, or several.

There were like 15 SE's sitting there when I went to BB, though they didn't have th normal one in stock yet.

W00t, I'm pwnz0ring j00s so far!

I also know that on like onboard sound, you can usually convert at least the line in to work with a surround sound setup. Anyone know if that's possible with the audigy?

So now I'm hoping that when my lappy comes I'll be able to beat the game into submission and it's software mode will run on it playably. Then, there will truly be an unstoppable beatdown.
biggrin.gif

ok, where is this rebate thing at i mean :p do i get it of the site? is it hidden somewhere in my 2003 box ?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (amusedtoe @ Mar. 20 2004,5:56)]Aside from this nasty BSOD bug, and this menu's don't work bug, and the occasional but once very nasty most of the graphics mess up and get replaced by yellow lines bug.
If you have an nVIDIA card, try upgrading to the latest drivers.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Sirius @ Mar. 21 2004,8:22)]ok, where is this rebate thing at i mean :p do i get it of the site? is it hidden somewhere in my 2003 box ?
I found the rebate in my UT2004 Special Edition box. I never purchased UT2003, so if you want my rebate, just e-mail me at tek7 AT cgalliance DOT org and I can mail it your way.

Yea, it's just a little postcard thingy just sitting in the box. If it's not there I'm sure Atari would provide you with another since it'd be their fault you didn't have it.

As far as the graphic thing I'm using the Forceware's from just a couple days ago. Other people have had this happen to so it seems to be a glitch of some kind, and realitivly rare and doesn't ruin the game. Heck the crashing the system thing hasn't ruined the game for me.
biggrin.gif

Toe, here is a cheap solution:

http://www.radioshack.com/categor....&Page=1

The Y connector will let you split your sound between the headset and your speakers.

As for UT, bah... I can play between 1-3 maps before I get a complete reboot. Not sure what the problem is other than the fact I am using onboard sound and the box recommends having a good sound card. All drivers are upto date. The reboot seem to always happen during map changes.

One problem with running the audio through your speakers: you have to make sure your mic on your headset is far enough away from the speakers to prevent a feedback loop. Additionally, you may get distortion or an echo when you talk, even if you are far away enough to prevent the feedback loop, just because the mic may pick up reverberation from the room or directly from the speaker. This is not a problem with headphones because the headphones are closed and output low volume compared to the main speakers.

Back