Getting a fiction short story published?

Tek7

CGA President, Tribe of Judah Founder & President
Staff member
Can anyone give me any tips on getting a fiction short story published?

I was thinking more of a literary magazine that accepts short stories. The manuscript is just over 2,000 words.

When are you going to post it on the forums, sir?

I'm actually wondering the same thing, in regards to publishing. Despite some research, I've never come up with a solid solution. If it's sci-fi, you can always look at Asimov's Science Fiction Magazine. From what I can tell, that's up there in greatness.

When are you going to post it on the forums, sir?
Since I plan on submitting it for publication in literary magazines, I wasn't planning on posting it to the forums. I'm not certain how copyright works in regards to posting stories online, but I don't want to take any chances.
I'm actually wondering the same thing, in regards to publishing. Despite some research, I've never come up with a solid solution. If it's sci-fi, you can always look at Asimov's Science Fiction Magazine. From what I can tell, that's up there in greatness.
It's not sci-fi. It's not geared toward a specific genre; as categories go, it's probably closest to "slice of life."

is it your work? If so then you can post wherever you want to...until you turn it over to a publishing house..they often require you to give up your copyrights to them..

HCS is right. It's your work. And posting it on a forums isn't publishing. If you're worried, keep it in spoiler brackets so it doesn't show up on a search engine, and delete it after a few of us have read it and submitted comments.

You could try submitting it to Reader's Digest. I think they post short stories... maybe?

is it your work? If so then you can post wherever you want to...until you turn it over to a publishing house..they often require you to give up your copyrights to them..
True, but my purpose in getting it published in a literary magazine is to get my name out there and start building my reputation as a fiction writer. I know I can post it on a blog and link to the story, but there are millions of blogs and far fewer literary magazines.

exactly..millions of blogs equals a much higher exposure. YOu can also post it here and then others will lnk to it..:)

Back