Gay Marriage

Gay Marriage - should it be allowed?

• Everyone should be allowed to marry, given that they are of legal age and want to

Votes: 18 100.0%
  • Marriage is MF, but gays should be able to have Civil Unions

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Marriage is man and woman period

• Big J missed my answer which is explained below

• Total voters
Something I have been mulling over:

Is a marriage overseen by mans law (ie...a JP, Justice of the Peace) the same in Gods view as one overseen by Gods church?

I am wondering, as Christians, are we fighting the right fight?

Should I be concerned that gay marriages are seen as equal to my marriage in the sight of mans law?

Or should I be more concerned by the fact that there may be, or are churches marrying same sex couples?

Maybe we should be fighting to keep the principalities of darkness from entering and gaining a foothold in the church?

the easy answer to that is what does the Bible say?? it says Gay marriage is wrong. and if God is against gays then we should be to to be more like God.

I think you missed my point Atown.

According to God, are people who go to a JP even married? If they are, then man has trumped God. If they aren't, then neither same sex partners who go to a JP.

If God is not invited to the wedding, then you are not married in accordance to Gods definition. And God has alot to say about sexual unions outside of his definition of marriage.

He has a very strong word for those who think that they are married as same sex partners: Abomination. If God considers them to be an abomination, then he does not consider them to be married.

If God does not consider them to be married, should I? Even if mans law considers them to be? Is God subject to mans laws?

Hmmm... Isn't this one of those laws that got kicked out with the NT though - you know, like spitting babies on pikes and destroying your enemies utterly?

Eon

Actually no. The laws that were basically "kicked" were the cerimonial laws. Gods morality was not "kicked" out with the NT.

God has morality now? How do the laws that are moral differ from the laws that a cerimonial? Who identified which specific laws no longer applied - from my studies I seem to remember that Jesus laid down a new set of guidelines, all the fuzzy warm stuff like turning the other cheek and loving thy neighbour as thyself. Come to that, half of the stuff in the 10 commandments is "Ceremonial" law - so why wasn't that abolished?

Eon

its not really abolished. i mean the only new set of laws were the covenent between man and God when Jesus died on the cross. thats really the only new "law". and JP is a function that it is a man made thing, and not apart of God. if it is not apart of God then how can it apply the rules of God??

Matthew 22:34-40 (The Greatest Commandment)
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Hearing that Jesus had silenced the Saddusees, the Pharisees got together. One of them, an expert in the law, tested him with this question: "Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the law?"

Jesus replied: Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: Love your neighbor as yourself. All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.

Deuteronomy 6:5
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength.

Leviticus 19:18
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]... love your neighbor as yourself.

Thats old, old, old testament stuff man. Nothing new there. Of the 10 commandment, the first five are summed up with the Love the Lord your God. The second five are summed up with Love your neighbour. Nothing ceremonial there.

And the ceremonial law, is not hard to distinguish. You see, if Jesus is the Lamb who was sacrificed for our sins, once and for all, then all the law regarding sacrifices for our sins (which happens to be all very ceremonial) has been put aside. Sacrificing two doves, and the way we are to go about doing it and the way the priests are to go about doing it, are no longer required.

marriage is a broad word. to society it would be 2 people who live together and have a marriage license. what it really means to be married is to 2 becoming 1 flesh and living for God. i doubt gays do that.

ya know im getting kinda tired of u spellin my name wrong. the pronounciation is correct but the spelling is not. and yeah it does need to be specified more.

Be careful of your definition of marriage. The institution is older than adherence to the Christian faith, although it has generally had a religious significance.

These days marriage has to be a contract that is defined by the state - Muslim, Pagan and Christian marriages alike must be equally binding in the eyes of the law - otherwise much necessary legislation becomes muddy and difficult to enforce.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Gods_Peon @ Jan. 23 2004,11:47)]Something I have been mulling over:

Is a marriage overseen by mans law (ie...a JP, Justice of the Peace) the same in Gods view as one overseen by Gods church?
Just my $0.02...I think you got my point, GP.
smile.gif

There are basically 2 parts of a "marriage:"

1. the civil contract part
and
2. the religious part

An ex-gf of mine just recently got married at the county courthouse. No minister, just a Justice of the Peace.

Is she "married?"
In the first sense, yes. In the second sense, no.

To think about it another way...if a person is married in a church (which performs both 1 & 2), and then gets a (civil) divorce in a court...are they still married in the eyes of God?

Just a few more logs on the fire...
biggrin.gif

(PS, I would in no way support forcing any church to marry anyone.)

argh analyzing of words to define their meanings. something i had hoped not to go further into becuase, in my case, useally ends in stalemate. and dead aim its ok, i'll own on BW in a tourny one day some im fine
blues.gif

Well Big J depending on the circumstances I think some people are divorced and others are not. It all depends on the reason they got divorced.

i saw a shirt today and it said: God created Adam and Eve. Not Adam and Steve. which is true God createdAdam and Eve. not a gay couple, therefor showing that couples should be only between male and female.

What grounds do you have for enforcing your religious view on the state? Unless of course you believe that non-Christians have no place in your country?

Care to elaborate?

Back