Gay Marriage

Gay Marriage - should it be allowed?

• Everyone should be allowed to marry, given that they are of legal age and want to

Votes: 18 100.0%
  • Marriage is MF, but gays should be able to have Civil Unions

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Marriage is man and woman period

• Big J missed my answer which is explained below

• Total voters
The dictionary definition of marriage...

The legal union of a man and woman as husband and wife.
The state of being married; wedlock.
A common-law marriage.
A union between two persons having the customary but usually not the legal force of marriage: a same-sex marriage.
A wedding.
A close union: “the most successful marriage of beauty and blood in mainstream comics” (Lloyd Rose).
Games. The combination of the king and queen of the same suit, as in pinochle

As you can see, in all those different definitions, the presence of a priest to ordain the marriage is not mentioned once. If the issue we're arguing about is whether some (possibly child molesting, possibly gay) professional snake-oil salesman should put his stamp on the marriage then I'd say it's up the adherents of whichever faith is involved. If you're saying that ordination is required for it to be a state that is commonly accepted as being the definition of marriage then I'm going to have to disagree with you.

Eon

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kidan @ Dec. 09 2003,11:45)]spryo--NO!

a homosexual household is damaging to children, the same as single parent and divorced households are damaging to children.

I think it should be an amendment to ban gay marriages
Once again, I am raised in a single parent home thank you very much.
And
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I believe that homosexuality is very bad, and Christians should do all they can for the poor people who have been warped and demented by it. My church is helping a guy who used to be gay, and he's gotten up and talked about it and everything.
Homoseuxality is a GENE MUTATION,
The ACT of Homosexuality is a sin.
the same way that Depression is a chemical imbalance,
but the ACT of Depression is what causes people to do things that are not their norm.

homosexuality is a choice. think about prison, and the people who are bi. it's not a gene but a choice

Bisexuality is the convusion that the devil causes.
It has nothing to do with Gene Homosexuality.
Some people are innocent but are sent to prison so that isn't a valid argument.
Sexuality and Depression are very much alike.
Homosexuality is caused by a secretion of excess female hormones into the Fetus.
The ACT of Homosexuality is sin.
Depression is a chemical imballance.
But you CHOOSE to act upon it.

spryo that's utterly unfounded. All those 'studies' that 'proved' homosexuality was genetic, were proven false (the doctor was biased, and the data was invalid)

homosexuality is a choice. otherwise, we'd have more folks sleeping with close relatives, animals, the dead, and a paper cup, each of them screaming 'ITS GENETIC!!!!'

Indeed they are Kidan, not genetic but a chemical imballance.
God created every thing with Science(I believe that Science was the very first thing God created), which includes sin.

Lumping all the same-sex sexual dysfunctions under "Homosexual" and generalising about origins and issues is roughly akin to lumping all the febrile diseases under "fever" and attempting to cure them all the same way. What we see is a number of common symptoms, but those symptoms can have various origins.

I don't think that anyone "chooses" to be gay because they like the lifestyle and the discrimination. People ARE gay and they have various mechanisms for coping with this. For me it comes down to the fact that we DO have gay people, and that denying them the comfort of a loving relationship when they can't have one with a member of the opposite sex comes down to cruel and unusual punishment. Refusing to legitimise those relationships as "marriage" simply sends the message that we tolerate the presence of those relationships - but only if they're kept under wraps.

Homosexuality is a fact, I'm afraid. You don't have to like it, or support it, but I don't think the gay community is up for pretending it doesn't exist any more. We have to find ways of coming to terms with these people, and for creating a mechanism to deal with them in society.

If God created science then why does science always try to disprove God.

In fact if you got out of a middle-school education and went to any sort of higher learning IE Physics, Chemistry, Bio-Chemistry and so forth, every teacher that i ever had is not a Christian, but they all agree that this universe is so fine tuned that some Higher Power had to do it.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Spyro Chan @ Dec. 10 2003,2:59)]Indeed they are Kidan, not genetic but a chemical imballance.
God created every thing with Science(I believe that Science was the very first thing God created), which includes sin.
oh...so does that mean we can give them Lipitor and they'll stop being gay?

hmm..my Bible says that in the begininig God created the Heavens and the earth.  Science is a human by product of creation, it's how we learn to understand that which God has blessed us with.  

Eon  Symptoms? Causes?  You're talking as if it's some psychosis or disease.  Something that afflicts these people.

I don't think people choose to be gay because they LIKE the lifestyle.  but that doesn't stop them from actually choosing it ( a choice to not do something, is a choice for it).

You said "you don't have to like it, or support it"  yet that's exactly what the media, the Left, and the gay activists are telling us.  They are saying that we MUST support it (by destroying the social and religious concept of marriage) and we MUST like it (by attempting to get laws that say teaching against the lifestyle is a hate crime)

A way to come to terms with these people?  of course there's a way, we have to love them, we have to show them kindness and respect.  and we teach them the truth about their choices, and the consequences of those choices.

Ok, this is for anyone who thinks that churches should be the only institution that can grant marriage status to a couple: do you think it would be OK for a couple of atheists to go to a church and get married there if they wanted?

as long as it was a male and a female yes.

This is not to say taht I beleive that churches should be the sole defining power behind marriage, but if it became that way...

But those couples do go to a church to get married most of the time, or they have a minister come to the appointed place to perform the cerimony. i have yet to meet a couple who whether a believer or not, was not married by a minister of some kind. i think that they do it out of tradition if anything in the western culture. because all i have to do is go down and apply for a marriage liscence then tecknickly i am married to the other person on the piece of paper.

On a side note has anyone tryed to marry themselves for tax exemptions???
rock.gif
laugh.gif

The reason why higher education in the sciences tends to sound as if it is anti-Christian is because there WAS a time when science was fettered by religious dogma. A lot of good scientists were slaughtered or opressed by the theocracy for simply telling the truth - do some research if you don't know what I mean. Academia has a long, long memory...
smile.gif

In addition, so much of what we know about the way the world works on a higher level disagrees with a literal interpretation of the bible. As that puts science on a collision course with religion, it seems to be a case of seeing who flinches first. ;)

Eon

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LionOfJudah @ Dec. 11 2003,7:32)]If God created science then why does science always try to disprove God.

In fact if you got out of a middle-school education and went to any sort of higher learning IE Physics, Chemistry, Bio-Chemistry and so forth, every teacher that i ever had is not a Christian, but they all agree that this universe is so fine tuned that some Higher Power had to do it.
Once again someone fails to see my point,
I'm a Christian and I believe the universe was created by a higher power, infact I've designed a diagram that shows how I think the universe is and where God 'lives'.
Oh by the way I'm in Physics , Chemistry, and Bio-Chemistry.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LionOfJudah @ Dec. 12 2003,8:12)]But those couples do go to a church to get married most of the time, or they have a minister come to the appointed place to perform the cerimony. i have yet to meet a couple who whether a believer or not, was not married by a minister of some kind. i think that they do it out of tradition if anything in the western culture. because all i have to do is go down and apply for a marriage liscence then tecknickly i am married to the other person on the piece of paper.

rock.gif
laugh.gif
LoJ,

I have been to 3 weddings done by Justices of the Peace, not pastors. A pastor is not in any way, shape, or form required to marry someone in the eyes of the state.

Now, just because you apply for a marriage certificate doesn't mean your married.

Cory

interresting Spyro what school do you go to, because i know of none that will let a student be in all three of those classes at once, since they build on eachother. also i have yet to hear of any Highschool in the great nation of america that does offer true bio-chemistry, seeing how most people can not even take it till 2-3 years of BIo and Chem before they get into that field in college. maybe you dont live in the US so you are getting a better education, but hey i could be wrong.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I'm a Christian and I believe the universe was created by a higher power, infact I've designed a diagram that shows how I think the universe is and where God 'lives'.

Is there a way you can post this? I'd be interested in seeing it. (no jokes)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LionOfJudah @ Dec. 12 2003,3:01)]interresting Spyro what school do you go to, because i know of none that will let a student be in all three of those classes at once, since they build on eachother.
its called chemical engineering at college
smile.gif
and my roommate hates it
laugh.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kidan @ Dec. 09 2003,11:45)]a homosexual household is damaging to children, the same as single parent and divorced households are damaging to children.
You know Kidan, there are a lot of children of single parents. Perhaps you should ponder your statement about single parent homes being damaging.

Actually, no. Re-reading it, you are correct.

a homosexual household is damaging to children, the same as single parent and divorced households are damaging to children, which is to say that they are not.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LionOfJudah @ Dec. 12 2003,9:12)]But those couples do go to a church to get married most of the time, or they have a minister come to the appointed place to perform the cerimony. i have yet to meet a couple who whether a believer or not, was not married by a minister of some kind. i think that they do it out of tradition if anything in the western culture. because all i have to do is go down and apply for a marriage liscence then tecknickly i am married to the other person on the piece of paper.

rock.gif
laugh.gif
Ever hear of a "civil ceremony?"
That is where people go to the county courthouse where they are married by a Justice of the Peace or a Judge.

So, no, it is not at all unusual for people to get "married" by secular/civil authorities and not a man of God.

Back