Friday, June 10, 2011: 1 Kings 19:19-21

RiverTigress

1 Kings 19:19-21
So he departed thence, and found Elisha the son of Shaphat, who was plowing with twelve yoke of oxen before him, and he with the twelfth: and Elijah passed by him, and cast his mantle upon him. And he left the oxen, and ran after Elijah, and said, Let me, I pray thee, kiss my father and my mother, and then I will follow thee. And he said unto him, Go back again: for what have I done to thee? And he returned back from him, and took a yoke of oxen, and slew them, and boiled their flesh with the instruments of the oxen, and gave unto the people, and they did eat. Then he arose, and went after Elijah, and ministered unto him.

Elijah didn't ask or tell Elisha to come with him, even though he had just been in despair about being alone, but Elisha saw an opportunity to do something for God and dropped what he was doing to run after it. Although the life of traveling with Elijah was probably a much harder one than what he was accustomed to, he knew the difference between what was of eternal value and what was only temporal.

We don't know much about the condition of Elisha's heart, but the fact that he decided to slay his oxen and use the yoke as fire wood to cook them shows that he was serious about his commitment to Elijah and God - he didn't leave a comfortable option of returning home.. He didn't give himself an out - his only option was to follow God's will for his life.

Thanks for your post!

Back