Free Realms On PS3

Kendrik

Staff member
For the MMO hardcore, I doubt Free Realms holds much appeal. Still, it was just released on the PS3, retaining its F2P design.

In the five minutes I spent with it, I may or may not have kinda enjoyed it. Don't really understand it. Probably next to no depth to it. But as a free diversion, I ain't complaining just yet.

Anyone else gonna give it a shot?

Free Realms seems to me like something I'd see on Nick.com for tweens to play. I expect the crowd would be about that.

Then again, it could actually be fun. Worth at least trying the demo. Plus, I happen to have a keen interest in a PS3 MMO. Really hoping FF14 gets fixed. I'm going to start a thread in general and see if anyone has played on PC.

Other than DCUO, I assume? I don't know. :p

I actually rather enjoy Free Realms so far. It's not Warcraft by any stretch of the imagination, but it's a very pleasant and relaxing game... a niche I'm fond of as of late.

The combat is easy mode... at least so far. On-the-fly job switching is sweet, though. Exploration is fun. Since the only cost in trying the game is downloading the client, I'd say it's worth a shot.

To its credit, I feel it does a good job of streamlining MMO design for console play. That right there is a definite bonus.

When (or if) you give it a shot, I'm running as Kenneth Blazebrand.

Last edited:
Probably when FF 14 comes out for it, though with what I've heard I don't have super high expectations for that.

Are there any server constraints? Like, being able to play with friends on another server.

In Free Realms? Not sure yet. Don't have many friends on there yet (lol just one who randomly added me whilst cooking in game). I'm not aware of any such constraints yet, though.

Game is pretty enjoyable. Sad that the free level cap is at 5, though. Seriously. Hit that level cap quiiiick as a chef. I want better gear and recipes and stuff... but I cannot haz. D:

Saaaaad. Just found out that the TCG of the PC version is not in the PS3 version (or the Mac version, for that matter). :/

Last edited:
Yes, also saw no TCG. I was happy with that part - too tempting lol.

I think I'ma do a one month sub to see how the game feels during the "full experience." Gives me a chance to see if the lifetime sub would be worth it. Costs more in the long run if I do get it... but it could save me a bit if subscription play doesn't sem worth the cash.

Also, I've seen people riding around on dragons. I'm jelly.

lolya

I got a brief bit of time in with the game in sub'd mode. Level five is definitely nice to access (you actually get cut off at a max'd experience bar of level 4 in the free version, keeping level 5 things inaccessible).

Definitely liking the game. A lot. I'd recommend giving it a shot.

And the best reason yet for Free Realms membership is nothing short of a lightsaber (usable only with the non-combat Adventurer class, unfortunately)... that can be purchased with in-game coins. You can see it in this pic. Needless to say, I have to save my coins now.

Other perks to membership are lots of new quests and expanded shops. I have member exclusive style now.

I pretty much really like this game. I have no complaints (other than mounts... rides... being only available with real-world funds; I want a dragon, dangit). It's very fun. The minigames may be redundant and fairly unoriginal, but I'm The Chef gameplay and tile-based, time-limited puzzle games can be very addictive anyway.

I'll probably be pickin' up the lifetime sub at some point.

Good game, Sony. You won this round.

I was definitely up 'til a little past one leveling up my mining job. I think I'm hooked. >.>

Definitely feeling like a lifetime membership is in my future.

Any of youse guys give the game a shot yet?

Got it installed and played for a few minutes. Loading times will likely keep me playing Katamari Forever, Scott Pilgrim vs. The World, and Castle Crashers instead. Free Realms looks like a fun enough game, but it's a hard sell when I have four single-player PS3 games I haven't even started yet.

Initial load times are bad. They seem to get better after a while, though... or I just get used to them. >.>

...probably the latter. XD

Not atm, and probably not ever. I try to stay away from "free" things that will simply cost me more later than a disc-based game. Free Realms? More like Fee Realms. :D

Plus, I just started playing Trine with my wife, and have made a resolution to try to go through and start finishing trophies (that aren't stupidly ridiculous like WKC) to 100% on my games.

I will say, though, that I am definitely looking to the possibility of playing FF14 or something similar should that prove to have some improvements.

Last edited:
Back