Finding God

Marcylene

Chrales Sprugeon
January
01/19/AM
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]'I sought him, but I found him not.'—Song of Solomon 3:1
Tell me where you lost the company of a Christ, and I will tell you the most likely place to find Him. Have you lost Christ in the closet by restraining prayer? Then it is there you must seek and find Him. Did you lose Christ by sin? You will find Christ in no other way but by the giving up of the sin, and seeking by the Holy Spirit to mortify the member in which the lust doth dwell. Did you lose Christ by neglecting the Scriptures? You must find Christ in the Scriptures. It is a true proverb, 'Look for a thing where you dropped it, it is there.' So look for Christ where you lost Him, for He has not gone away. But it is hard work to go back for Christ. Bunyan tells us, the pilgrim found the piece of the road back to the Arbour of Ease, where he lost his roll, the hardest he had ever travelled. Twenty miles onward is easier than to go one mile back for the lost evidence.
Take care, then, when you find your Master, to cling close to Him. But how is it you have lost Him? One would have thought you would never have parted with such a precious friend, whose presence is so sweet, whose words are so comforting, and whose company is so dear to you! How is it that you did not watch Him every moment for fear of losing sight of Him? Yet, since you have let Him go, what a mercy that you are seeking Him, even though you mournfully groan, 'O that I knew where I might find Him!' Go on seeking, for it is dangerous to be without thy Lord. Without Christ you are like a sheep without its shepherd; like a tree without water at its roots; like a sere leaf in the tempest—not bound to the tree of life. With thine whole heart seek Him, and He will be found of thee: only give thyself thoroughly up to the search, and verily, thou shalt yet discover Him to thy joy and gladness.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Without Christ you are like a sheep without its shepherd

FINALLY! I've been waiting for someone to use this analogy.

If a sheep wanders from the herd and finds itself at a fork in the road, with one path leading to peaceful pastures and the other leading to a rocky cliff where certain doom awaits, what does a good shepherd do? Does the shepherd wait quietly behind a tree, out of sight of the sheep, hoping that the sheep chooses the right path? Or does a good shepherd go after that sheep before it gets into danger, moving it back into the safety of the herd?

Now, if we are sheep and God is the shepherd, does He act like a good or bad shepherd? Does a good shepherd blame the sheep for wandering off? Does a good shepherd not care if a few sheep are lost if the majority of sheep are ok?

I am happy that someone obliged you!  That is penned by our wonderfully British Charles Handal Spurgeon! (While it may be hard to pick an all time favorite preacher, he is in the top twenty, really might just have him at #1)  Spurgeon  

I highly, Highly, HIghly, HIGHLy, HIGHLY, recommend the book, A Shepherd Looks at Psalm 23 by Phillip Keller.
I try to read it at the first of every year and my book list is a bit backed up at the moment, so forgive me, but as close as I can remember:  a sheep prone to wander sometimes has to have its legs broken.  There are troubles more than just the cliff; sheep tend to go to drinking water that has diseases for one example, and this is usually while in route to a beautiful spring for water; strong willed lil' boogers!  There are times that the sheep, even after he has his legs broken will continue to rebel and this leads the weaker sheep to follow...then, I am afraid, it is the way that the less romantic idealist of the bunch of us assume Bowserthewonderdog has gone.  Nevertheless, through the whole, entire, patient, loving process, the Good Shepherd is always looking out for the sheep and will leave the flock to go to the one who has strayed.

The book is a great understanding of the tender mercies of God.  I believe with all my heart that His process of dealing with us goes above and beyond that of the most loving of of any Shepherd ever.  His mercies for us are new every morning; He is not willing that any should perish; He casts our sins as far as the east is from the west; He loves us with an everlasting love...

The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want.  Psalm 23:1

I think I know what you are getting at, basically, you are questioning God yet again!  DV, do you know how many people have come to me since the tsunami, once they know that I am a Christian, and ask why?  I do not have the answers.  He does what He does because He is love; He does what He does because He is God.  Does it always make sense to me?  No, sir, it does not.  The only thing that I can tell you and be as certain as I am of my name, is that in order to have a relationship, period, but more so with God, there must be trust and communication.  I choose to trust Him.  I think that faith, trust, and belief, all go hand in hand, without those, there would be no standing with God.  I know He gave us the Bible and every Word is true; this is His main way of communication with us.  I know He is Love.  I know that we are made in His image, and even He, before the Cross asked that the cup be passed from Him.  For some reason that I do not fully understand, it had to be.  I do not pretend to come close to understanding all things Spiritual, I can only do my best and trust God to do the rest.  
The main reason I posted this devotion is that I thought it stated the point very well, that God is there if we seek Him.  He is there if we do not.  It truly is up to each individual and their heart.

Believe me, I have my own "whys."  I've answered before, this is the enemies world for the time being.  I do not understand why it must be this way, I simply remind myself, "This ain't Heaven!"

This is a poem written by Dr. Jack Hyles in the book Please Pardon My Poetry.  
I have sat beside a tiny crib,
And watched a baby die,
As parents slowly turned toward me,
To ask, "Oh, Pastor, why?"

I have held the youthful husband's head,
And felt death's heave and sigh,
A widow looked through tears and said,
"Dear Pastor, tell me why?"

I have seen a gold-star mother weep,
And hold a picture nigh
Her lonely breast, and softly ask,
"Why Pastor, tell me why?"

I have walked away from babyland,
Where still-born babies lie.
A mother stretches empty arms,
And asks me, "Pastor why?"

I have watched my drunken Father leave
Our home, and say "good-bye,"
While looking into my Mother's face
I asked, "Please tell me why?"

I have heard the white-tipped tapping cane,
Which leads a blinded eye.
And then a darkened, lonely voice
Cries, "Preacher, show me why."

I have caught a fiancees burning tears,
And heard her lonely cry.
She held an unused wedding gown,
And shouted, "Pastor, why?"

I have seen a father take his life.
A widow stands nearby;
As little children say, "Dear Mom,
The Preacher'll tell us why."

I've seen my mother stand beside
Two tiny graves and cry.
And though she'd never let me know,
I know she wondered, "Why?"

I've heard an orphan faintly say,
Who gazed into the sky,
"Tho Mom and Dad have gone away,
My preacher will know why."

I tiptoed to my Father's throne,
So timid and so shy,
To say, "Dear God, some of Your own
Are wanting to know why."

I heard Him say so tenderly,
"Their eyes I'll gladly dry,"
Tho they must look through faith today,
Tomorrow they'll know why."

"If now they find the reason that
Their hopes have gone awry,
In Heaven, they will miss the joy
Of hearing Me tell why."

And so I've found it pleases Him
When I can testify,
"I'll trust my God to do what's best,
And wait to find out why."

Through all the storms and tragedies of life, I tell you the truth...I do not know how anyone can handle these things without Him.

Sooo...though it seems I am vying for world's longest post, I say all this to say:
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Now, if we are sheep and God is the shepherd, does He act like a good or bad shepherd?
Good
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Does a good shepherd blame the sheep for wandering off?
no
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Does a good shepherd not care if a few sheep are lost if the majority of sheep are ok?
yes

In His time
In His way
We simply trust and obey!

Our homes are an example of this.  Does your wife not picture this love and trust? Does she not trust you with her very life, knowing in her heart that you will always do the right thing concerning her? While she may not understand all your ways, she will humbly come to you, first and foremost, because she knows this is well pleasing to God!

How is God a good shepherd if He allows some sheep to be killed? Unlike a real shepherd who is simply uncapable of guaranteeing the saftey of all his sheep all the time, God could certainly do so could He not? Why must God create so many simply so they can die and go to ####? Why does He have to choose this method of glorifying himself? That is His ultimate goal isn't it? Thats the only reason He does anything after all, just so He can be glorified.Yes? No?

Apparently not! However, some day all will confess. This is not Him demanding, as some that hate God would like you to believe, it is what will happen when everyone admits/confesses/realizes that He is the Lamb that gave His life for our sins. Unfortunately, at that time, it will be too late for those who have not accepted Him as Saviour.

For it is written, As I live, saith the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God. Romans 14:11

HE IS LOVE! If you read anything else into what He says or does, you are confusing the whole entire concept summed up into one Word, from the Bible. Granted, we have that word confused today!

The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance. II Peter 3:9

Being with Him in Heaven and glorifying Him is our choice.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The book is a great understanding of the tender mercies of God

Always viewing only one side of the picture Marcy. Are there any books that you would recommend that seek to reconcile the evils and atrocities done by God with the "merciful" side? I do not wish to continually harp on the darker side, but I feel it's necessary since the majority of Christians turn a blind eye to that part of God. It's like refusing to accept there is more than one facet in a jewel. The jewel isn't just that one facet that catches the sun, it's every single facet, inclusions and all.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Sooo...though it seems I am vying for world's longest post, I say all this to say:
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Now, if we are sheep and God is the shepherd, does He act like a good or bad shepherd?

Good

How can you justify this answer when God refuses to make Himself known to the entirety of His flock? By not doing so He automatically condemns those "lost" sheep to an eternity of torment. How is that good?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
Does a good shepherd blame the sheep for wandering off?

no

Then why does God?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
Does a good shepherd not care if a few sheep are lost if the majority of sheep are ok?

yes

If that is so, then an omnimax shepherd would never allow a single sheep to suffer harm. So why does God?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Apparently not! However, some day all will confess. This is not Him demanding, as some that hate God would like you to believe, it is what will happen when everyone admits/confesses/realizes that He is the Lamb that gave His life for our sins. Unfortunately, at that time, it will be too late for those who have not accepted Him as Saviour.

Now how is THAT good? At what time will it be too late? When God finally shows up? So when the entire world finally has the proof it's been needing, God says it's too late? How do you reconcile that when you say God is LOVE? How is God LOVING when He knows that by not giving proof of His existence many will not believe and subsequently be doomed to ####?

Please help me reconcile this one sided portrait you have of God.

I realize there are other sides of God. Nevertheless, even in his wrath, I firmly believe He is geared by love in all things. He is love, how could He not be? He is patient, loving, kind, and long suffering concerning us. He doesn't blame us. He loves the sinner and hates the sin.

For he knoweth our frame; he remembereth that we are dust. Psalm 103:14

The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance. II Peter 3:9

It is of the LORD'S mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. Lamentations 3:22

It goes back to why do good things happen to bad people?

I believe that within us is a Spiritual knowledge that the home is a picture of Heaven. It makes it all the more difficult to see, for example, justice through love, if we weren't raised in that manner. In addition, I believe that the things of God, the reasons of God...well, some are simply law. When someone loves me I usually feel that their treatment is fair of me, wouldn't you agree? The same holds true for God. Some things are because, as the law of gravity, for instance, it is the way it has to be. In order to be able to 100% understand His love and fairness would require a Spiritual mind and body. It brings me to wonder if all these things will be completely understood, by osmosis, if you will, when we see Christ.

I know God is Wonderful, Amazing, Magnificent, Exciting, and the Bible says it is His goodness that brings us to repentance. Therefore, I like to focus on His love. I have seen many examples of His goodness in my own life and I think every Christian can testify to that. All roses? No, no more than the King of the Jews was going to destroy all their enemies and allow them to sit around in a beautiful castle with all their hearts desires granted. That would indeed be Heaven, but this ain't it!!!!

And I heard a great voice out of the temple saying to the seven angels, Go your ways, and pour out the vials of the wrath of God upon the earth. Revelation 16:1

I found it very interesting that His wrath is kept in a vial. His wrath is not something that He habitually practices. However, yes, I am aware that it is there. Almighty. Powerful.

God's Wrath

As for Him allow us to stray...sorry, right back to free will. Did all believe Him
He came to earth before? I fear that you would want Him to show Himself in a certan way, too. He is Who He is. He is I AM. And someday, we shall see the whole picture and understand.

For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known. I Corinthians 13:12

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I realize there are other sides of God. Nevertheless, even in his wrath, I firmly believe He is geared by love in all things. He is love, how could He not be? He is patient, loving, kind, and long suffering concerning us. He doesn't blame us. He loves the sinner and hates the sin.

How was God full of love, patience, kindness and longsuffering when He condemned the world to destruction in the Flood? To me, that seems like HIS mistake. He knew what would happen, didn't He? Why go through all that if He was just going to wipe things out? Why not just START with Noah? Instead, every life prior to that point was a complete and utter waste. Somebody goofed.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]It is of the LORD'S mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. Lamentations 3:22

I'm sure that quote would soothe many people affected by the tsunami, don't you? (yes, that was sarcasm)

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I found it very interesting that His wrath is kept in a vial. His wrath is not something that He habitually practices. However, yes, I am aware that it is there. Almighty. Powerful.

A vial? When was the last time you skimmed through the OT? A vial? NO. Try an immense ocean.

Xel, you talk as if we are not at fault here. He is a real good shepard. You're just a sheep that is keeping its eyes on the wolves, but doesn't see the BIG BAD SHEPARD WITH THE BIG INVINCIBLE STICK BEHIND HIM! :eek: OH YEAH! If you actually understand God, then you would know you are safe all the time. Even if the enemy tried to burn a bullet through you. Sure it might happen, but it's not a perfect world ANYMORE. XP and to

DV, You are tryingto use human reasoning for God's actions. <edited for content>, but again, everything is justified... I'll see the answers for your questions when I'm dead... A bit too late though. :eek: lol

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Xel, you talk as if we are not at fault here. He is a real good shepard. You're just a sheep that is keeping its eyes on the wolves, but doesn't see the BIG BAD SHEPARD WITH THE BIG INVINCIBLE STICK BEHIND HIM! :eek: OH YEAH! If you actually understand God, then you would know you are safe all the time. Even if the enemy tried to burn a bullet through you. Sure it might happen, but it's not a perfect world ANYMORE. XP and to

Oh geez. Listen to yourself. We sheep keep an eye on the wolves because the sadomasochist shepherd lets the wolves gnaw on our legs before patting them on the head and saying, "No no, bad wolf". If your shepherd had a boss, he'd be FIRED.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]DV, You are tryingto use human reasoning for God's actions. <edited for content>, but again, everything is justified... I'll see the answers for your questions when I'm dead... A bit too late though. :eek: lol

HELLO?!? Aren't you a human? Should I be using beaver logic to understand God? How about platypus logic? I am a human and use the devices available to me.

I'll ask you too, how do you believe in God without the use of human logic?

With God, there can be a peace that passes all understanding. Job said:

Though he slay me, yet will I trust in him: but I will maintain mine own ways before him. Job 13:5

Granted, it doesn't all make sense. God is mysterious. His ways are not our ways.

And for me, that utterance may be given unto me, that I may open my mouth boldly, to make known the mystery of the gospel, Ephesians 6:19

For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God. I Corinthians 1:18

Sadly, until you love and trust His Word, the Truth, that will not change.

And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved. II Thessalonians 2:10

Ever spoken to a child that wanted an alternative to what was offered. An example, eat your spinach and you get dessert? That is unacceptable to the child, but that is simply the way that it is.

You concern me, DV. You say that you aren't sure there is a God, then you speak like you not only believe that He is, but you insist on insulting Him. If He were really a God focused solely on wrath, do you not think that you would've been struck down by this time? Do you not think that on the Cross He would have wasted everyone in sight? Spitting on Him? I don't think there could be a greater insult, and He uttered not a word. He did it out of love, even asking that His tormentors would be forgiven; He did it for all to accept Him and be saved. You love free will and I think this is the crux of the matter. He could foresee, indeed! Yet for those who would be in Heaven, for those who desired to be more than a thought in His mind, all this had to be. The enemy lives on this earth. You either serve God or the devil, there is no middle ground. Granted, the enemy may have you blinded to the fact, or proudly proclaiming that this is not the case...nevertheless, that is simply the way that it is.

Calm yourself Marcy
smile.gif

Sometimes I speak of God as a fact because it's easier to carry on the discussion that way. Otherwise I'd have to start every discussion with, "IF God was real", "IF He really existed", etc etc.

It is merely for literary purposes.

We have rules in our household. One for example is no backtalking to adults. If my daughter breaks this rule, then she is punished. Not because I am mean, but because she broke a rule that is set to teach her a lesson.

Do we not correct out children in love as well (for those of us who have children)?

Why wouldn't God do the same for us?

You tell me.

Why did God give us vague rules and then disappear.

With a child, the parent is always available. If there is a question, you can ask and have it answered immediately and plainly. As a parent, do you set strict rules or extremely vague ones? Do you answer your children when they call for you? Do you answer their questions when they ask? If your children want something, if they can't have it do you tell them so and why?

You can't compare God to parents, because if God were a parent, His children would have been taken away from Him by Child Wellfare.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Why did God give us vague rules and then disappear.
He did not

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]With a child, the parent is always available. If there is a question, you can ask and have it answered immediately and plainly.
No, that is not the case

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]As a parent, do you set strict rules or extremely vague ones?
It is not a matter of strict vs. vague. You are comparing apples and oranges. I think Clear Concise vs. Vague would be better. Still not an accurate assessment, but a better analogy

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Do you answer your children when they call for you?
No, not all of the time.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Do you answer their questions when they ask?
No, not all of the time

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]If your children want something, if they can't have it do you tell them so and why?
No, not all of the time.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]You can't compare God to parents, because if God were a parent, His children would have been taken away from Him by Child Wellfare.

Highly insulting.

Gen

p.s. Now that I have answered your questions....what about you?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Genesis1315 @ Jan. 23 2005,9:48)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Why did God give us vague rules and then disappear.
He did not

I beg to differ. If His rules were clear and concise, there would be no need for hundreds of different sects of Christianity all believing different things. There would be a clear line between what is right to follow and believe in and what is not. That is not the case.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]With a child, the parent is always available. If there is a question, you can ask and have it answered immediately and plainly.
No, that is not the case

How so? Don't you physically see, touch, hear, smell, your children every day? If your child wants to know why the sky is blue or the grass is green, can't you explain it to him so he understands? Can you do any of those things with God? No, you can't.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]As a parent, do you set strict rules or extremely vague ones?
It is not a matter of strict vs. vague. You are comparing apples and oranges. I think Clear Concise vs. Vague would be better. Still not an accurate assessment, but a better analogy

Granted, your analogy is better, but I fail to understand why it's not accurate. Please explain.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Do you answer your children when they call for you?
No, not all of the time.

LOL, 'lil Miss Picky. How often do you answer them? At least once a day? That's more than God does. And when they call you, do you have a coherant conversation? I think so. Again, God doesn't grant you that simple communication.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Do you answer their questions when they ask?
No, not all of the time

Again, picky. I'm sure you answer their questions more often than not. And when you DO answer, isn't your answer more likely than not a clear, comprehensible answer? You can't say the same of God.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]If your children want something, if they can't have it do you tell them so and why?
No, not all of the time.

But again, there is communication that exists SOME times. Clear, understandable communication. When you child asks why they can't have a toy, do you flip the lightswitch on 3 times, then go outside and spray the waterhose on the window for 7 seconds? Of course not. Ah, but God supposedly communicates in weird and mysterious ways. I never understood why God could perform all sorts of strange miracles to communicate, but can never say "hi".

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]You can't compare God to parents, because if God were a parent, His children would have been taken away from Him by Child Wellfare.

Highly insulting.

Is it? Granted, it's blunt, but take a step back and look at the big picture. You're comparing God to a parent. God creates His children and sets forth rules they can't possibly keep. When God finally has enough (so much for omni-patience) does He scold His children? NOOOO, He murders every single one of them, save a handful. God set forth the biggest rule of all: follow Him or spend eternity in torment. Then He hides and watches His children fall all over themselves trying to figure out exactly how to do that. The God/Parent analogy is a bad one, plain and simple. God does not equate to a good parent. ESPECIALLY considering His supposed omni-love and omni-benevolence.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]p.s. Now that I have answered your questions....what about you?

Sorry..what was I supposed to answer?

Back