Dungeons and Dragons Online: Stormreach

Wh1te Out

I just finished playing the beta for the first time. Let me say, if you are a fan of pen and paper D&D, you will LOVE DDO. I can see already that it isn't going to get a huge following. It is extremely party-oriented with little to no content for soloing (which is true to D&D), and it is also very focused on quests. Yes, the combat can be furious, but the game is about taking your time and exploring, following the storyline and really experiencing a D&D pen and paper session through your computer.

I highly recommend it if you like the above things and I would love to have a ToJ guild (whether it be official or unofficial) so that we could adventure and immerse ourselves together. This isn't like WoW or Guild Wars or anything else out there. This is an experience, not just a game. And oh by the way, thanks to D&D rules, it has the best and deepest character creation of any "MMO."

Yes, I really enjoyed the new experience from it. Though i probably wont buy it, I had a blast with my Human ranger and 1 shot kills!

I would love to see a chapter form for this game. I have been in the beta since early october but have actually stoped testing so I wouldn't spoil the atmosphere of the game for when it goes live. I really believe this to be the answer to the problem of wanting the old pnp feel but not having a local group of friends to play with.

I have already preordered this game and would love to see a weekly group session form up to play together. That is what this game is designed for and actually delivers to the table. Though there are many guilds out there for this game and some are very good, I would love to see a christian guild form so we can have fun, fellowship and we can help each other keep our focus where it needs to be, in our saviour Jesus Christ.

Last edited:
Nightravn said:
I would love to see a chapter form for this game. I have been in the beta since early october but have actually stoped testing so I wouldn't spoil the atmosphere of the game for when it goes live. I really believe this to be the answer to the problem of wanting the old pnp feel but not having a local group of friends to play with.

I have already preordered this game and would love to see a weekly group session form up to play together. That is what this game is designed for and actually delivers to the table. Though there are many guilds out there for this game and some are very good, I would love to see a christian guild form so we can have fun, fellowship and we can help each other keep our focus where it needs to be, in our saviour Jesus Christ.
If we don't get enough interest, you and I should definitely do setup a weekly meeting to play together. I'm glad you're interested. Hopefully we can find others who are, as well.

I made my main and tested some things out but am using the rest of my beta to sample other builds, saving my main character build for release. Can't wait for head start. It's getting closer. :)

They are closing the main beta down on the 14th and are going to have another server just for 10 day passes for those that have preordered from then on, so I believe release is just around the corner. I don't know if they are going to limit forum access at that point or not so I will use my preordered key at that time for even though I haven't been playing at all, I do check the forums to see the updates and stuff.

I agree that if we don't have enough for a chapter then just forming a group that meets regularly would be great. During the testing I kinda did something similar in a test group and we used yahoo groups as a base for messages and organization. That worked pretty well so we could possibly use that as a tool.

D&D Online

I have been playing the beta since earlier this week when they opened it up on the 7th I believe. I agree this is a blast to play if you've ever played PnP before. The usage and underpinnings of the 3.5 rules is phenomenal. I've been a long time player/DM of D&D (since 1974, yes I am that old hehe) and it is nice to see how they have incorporated the ruleset. I was especially thankful of someone warning me to remove my armor before I swam as you WILL drown if wearing armor while trying to swim down a grate and long pipe. so far about the only anoying thing I can't stand is that the map needs to highlight your quest locations as at first it can get daunting trying to locate the entrance in the city. But over time I can see this becoming lesser of a irritant as you learn the locations in the city. So far I have made it to level 1 rank 3 with a Elf Ranger. This game looks great so far and it will definitely ostracize a lot of the "power levelers/farmer" types of folks and be geared more towards folks who love rich story lines and backgrounds. Speaking of which I saw the other day where you can create your characters own background story. I think I'll play other classes this weekend to see how they fare.

Also I have not checked yet but does anyone know what the pay scheme is on this (one time vs. monthly)?

Thanks,
Doc:cool:

DUNGEONS & DRAGONS ONLINE™: Stormreach™ Subscription Pricing
by Septa Scarabae [09:17 PM 02/09/2006]
Sporkfire brings word of the final subscription pricing for DDO:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
DUNGEONS & DRAGONS ONLINE™: Stormreach™ is scheduled to be released on February 28th. The game will be available at a suggested retail price of $49.99 and includes thirty days of subscription time. After the first month, players will be charged a monthly subscription fee of $14.99 per month. Players can purchase multiple months of subscription time in advance at a discounted rate.*
Purchase a three month subscription for $41.85 ($13.95 per month).
Purchase a six month subscription for $77.70 ($12.95 per month).
Purchase a one year subscription for $143.40 ($11.95 per month).

Customers who preorder the game and register their preorder key will be able to enter the game early in the Head Start Event that begins Feb. 24 and gain additional items and benefits. For more information, visit the preorder page!

* All subscription plans will automatically renew and the subscription rate and any applicable taxes will be charged in advance. All subscription payments are non-refundable. Subscription prices are in U.S. dollars and do not include local connection and telephone charges.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now Playing Stormreach

Hi all,
My husband and I and our son (8 yrs) are playing DDO and having a good time. I was looking around here hoping to find a Christian guild for the game and found this thread. Right now we're playing on the Arganesson (sp?) server but just started our characters yesterday so I don't have a problem remaking them on another server so we can group up together. Let me know what server you all are playing on :)
It's mostly my husband and I at night off and on during the week and our son stays up to play on the weekends (our son's a good gamer - husband, self and son can do the LDON's in EQ with good success rates. Better than some pickup groups we've been in LOL).
Anyway, if there's not an official guild we'd still be happy to join up with anyone who's playing.
Thanks!
Crystabel
(formerly of Crystabel's Corner for Christian Gamer's and hoping to get it running again )

$50.00 and $14.99 a month?!?! :eek: :eek: Thats insane, haven't anyone of these companoes learned anything from Guild Wars. I can almost guarantee that WotC makes enoguh money from everything else they sell and own that they shouldn't nned to have the subscription fee. Let alone a $14.99 one.

DDO is just a way, to me, for ultra nerds (depending on if you are obsessed and haev all the manuals and stuff) to play with other nerds without leaving their mother's basements... but if you like it kudos :D

ChickenSoup said:
DDO is just a way, to me, for ultra nerds (depending on if you are obsessed and haev all the manuals and stuff) to play with other nerds without leaving their mother's basements... but if you like it kudos :D
I guess if you want to stereotype, sure.

DDO is by FAR the most mature MMO community that will be out there. There are very few names that aren't created as RP names. You don't see many CoolDude!!11!!'s running around.

I'm in a guild, but not a Christian one. We're on the Ghallandra server and that's where I will be staying. This guild is all 25+ players and well over 300 members now. Heck, we had to create three guilds just for those of us playing in head start. Would love to play with any fellow TOJ members!

This sounds really cool, but it sounds like just another awesome game I don't have time for. I may have to trade in some old games for it though, I guess we'll see.

I notice you mentioned a Monthly fee... Does it match up to World of Warcraft? For those of you who have played WoW and have tested DDO please compare for me, as i might be interrested in DDO.

Cystabel, yes I am in the OTG. :)

inkelis, I've only played a couple of 10-day betas for WoW but I do know there are some glaring differences. DDO does not have crafting yet. DDO can not be solo'ed. After the first couple of levels you absolutely must have a party working together to actually complete the quests. There is no open-roaming world in DDO, the quests are largely confined to and based off of the cities. Everything about the skills, weapons, classes, etc. is pure 3.5 Edition AD&D. DDO's graphics are WAY better, but that's an opinion. I didn't care for WoW's cartoony look. And in DDO you have a much older and more mature crowd of gamers than in WoW.

Mr_Slice said:
You don't see many CoolDude!!11!!'s running around.
If no one names their character some variation of "Chuck Norris" and if there are no Alliance Paladins shouting "omgwthbbq? nerf shaman! zomg! lololololol!!!!1111" this may very well be the safe haven many older gamers have been seeking.

Would I be able to participate in the current beta (if it's still running)? I'm not familiar with pen and paper D&D, but the rich environment and focus on role-playing may very well suit my playing style.

Tek
The beta finished up last week and the headstart event (people who preordered the game) started on the 24th. The game releases tomorrow in the stores (28th).
There are a few people running around with stupid names but not like what I've seen in other games. Also, I don't think the speed of the game will fit most people that use those types of names and they will most likely get bored and leave. Or even better maybe they'll learn to like the game for what it is and become a better rpgamer!
While it isn't the best and greatest game ever, my family and I enjoy playing it and will enjoy it for what it offers instead of complain over what it doesn't. And it's something to play until Vanguard is released :)
As for not playing pen and paper D&D I don't think that will make a difference. It's been years since I've played that way and the game did not seem like a difficult system to figure out.
One thing to watch out for is the premade characters. When I chose a premade Paladin they gave me a 12 Charisma but when I chose to pick my own upgraded numbers there was a little hint box in the screen that said a Paladin needs a 14 Charisma to use the higher spells. They do a nice job of giving you information on what type of stats/skills you need for your character if you choose to upgrade your numbers on your own.

Crys

12 Charisma on a Paladin? UGH! I've spent the last couple of months researching builds and "perfecting" what I wanted, trying to consider eventual feat, skills and enhancements.

Crystabel, you're going to play Vanguard? Looks awesome, eh? The only place I've even seen Vanguard mentioned was the OTG website. Are you a member, too?

Glad to see there is some interest in this.

Kraniac-I think the thing that makes this game shine is that it doesn't have to be a huge timesink like most other MMO's. You can take you time and play very casually and still have a lot of fun. I plan on playing with a set group one or two times a week just like and old PnP table top session. With no PvP you are not forced to try to keep up with the Jones in order not to get Ganked. The combat system is nice and it definitely has the whole D&D feel.

I guess the way to sum up DDO vs other MMO is that it is not about the END game and getting there the quickest most effecient way but more about the JOURNEY along the way and you just might stop and smell the roses.

Crystabel- My Char name is the same as my screen name and I should be on tommorow if it's not too laggy or Thursday/Friday if it is. I am trying to get into OTG but they have a recruiting freeze right now so it will be a little while yet. Me and Mr Slice are trying to get a Friday Night group together so let me know if you are interested. That goes for anyone else who wants to join up.

Last edited:
Back