Doom3 Vs HalfLife2, Round 1!

Doom3 Vs HalfLife2, Round 1! -

• Doom3

Votes: 8 100.0%
  • Half-life2

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Sometimes a good thinker like Half-Life is fun, but sometimes I'd rather just have some solid action. I'd be just fine with it if Doom 3 comes out to be a mass monster-killer with battles like Doom, but movement and physics like Q3A. Speaking of which...maybe I should just see if there's some kind of horde or monster-hunter mod for Q3A...

Apparently, there's going to be a lot of depth to Doom III...it might even end up breaking even with Half-Life on that account. From what I've read, you'll have to interact with a decent amount of NORMAL, HUMAN NPCs, not just monsters, and there will be puzzles to solve, etc...plus, it's not just killing, there is apparently some "laboratory" element I would think, in attempting to cut off the flow of monsters. Sounds rather Half-Lifish to me.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (SLAM @ May 26 2003,10:42)]Sometimes a good thinker like Half-Life
And all this time I thought the myst series was the games that took brains, silly me.
tounge.gif

Myst, w00t! Did any of you ever play realMyst? That was awesome :).

I never played Riven, actually, or Myst 3...perhaps those are a couple I should look into at some point...if I ever get tired of mindlessly killing monsters.

Yes, I know. There are some sick and twisted people in the world who would still rather get D3 instead of HL2. Can't make everyone see the light.
tounge.gif
laugh.gif

Best of both worlds? Sure, why not?

BTW, I know that Id traditionally has a rather small development team. Anybody know how many people were involved with HL2? Or how many people are at Valve in general?

It makes sense that HL2 seems to look like a better game at this point - I have the feeling (and the game looks like) they had more human resources to throw at the game than Id did. Maybe if Id hired more people, maybe Doom would be more impressive, but at this point, I'm of the opinion that they're apple and oranges. Doom1 and 2 didn't really have a story; HL 1 did. Doom was a pretty fast and furious, with wave after wave of monsters streaming on to the screen, while HL focused on a more slower-paced story-driven game.

I think each franchise is focusing on what they do best. From what I've seen from HL, there's some elements of puzzle solving (what weapon to use where and at what time), team work, and big battles over really large enviroments. Doom is more of a survival horror game in first-person which provides a pretty spooky, claustrophobic experience in really tight quarters with lots of scares and surprises. HL seems to have the more fashionable gameplay, at least as far as the future of FPS's go, while Doom 3 seems to be more traditional.

Which will be better? HL2 has the advantage I think, just 'cuz of it's more innovative game play (or at least the gameplay that the videos and reports are hinting at), but the Doom 3 experience has the potential to be an entirely entertaining experience in it's own right.

I'm with Rizz, I'm going to buy both.

Having played the d3 alpha now i must say its not all that. It just does what ut2k3 did a year ago.. push the graphics engine. Admittedly the alpha is so tiny you cant do much of anything.. But it does seem like its just another fps and not one that offers much to the user.

The dynamic shadows look great though.

I'm personally not going to buy D3, but HL2 looks awesome. I watched the 8 E3 movies that I d/l from a friends ftp server and it looks amazing. The ability to manipulate things in the game, the ai, etc. Simply amazing...

Rizz, is that the D3 alpha from about a year ago? Or maybe even longer than that? I wouldn't base the game on that version. There is no optimization at all. Not really much gameplay either. It was probably an extremely early version to show at E3 (or internally to employees) just to show off some of the lighting effects. I think it even had some ragdoll physics too. It was a 'proof of concept' as we call it. Something to say, "Yep, we can do what we are thinking."

The other thing, I thought I heard D3 will have some puzzle elements to it. Can anyone confirm this?

Now, if you are talking about some other alpha version you have, then perhaps you have seen something more recent.

In the end, though, I am still a HL person. The E3 movies for D3 were WOW in the graphics, but HL2 looked better and cooler overall.

Yeh the alpha i played was clearly very basic... It wasnt structured at all and was just there to show off the graphics and the cut scenes.... Which it did impressively..

Still i think hl2 is better

Hl2 will rule the world.

what's doom??

i have already been planning to get my copy from the US and have it delivered here to AUS. it's released here on Jan 3 next year.... nooooo

i have also been planning on getting a new video card, as i expected that nothing in the world could run it...hehe

good to hear that's not the case. to bad for doom though.

I haven't seen anything on doom 3 though, haven't looked, don't care....

no double minded man here,

hehe

sealcomm

Back