Doom3 Vs HalfLife2, Round 1!

Doom3 Vs HalfLife2, Round 1! -

• Doom3

Votes: 8 100.0%
  • Half-life2

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Doom 3 descent single player but no multi player and astounding graphics you will have to upgrade your rig in a year to play at max settings.

HL2 Amazing Singleplayer amazing multiplayer good graphics that can run on both expensive rigs and current stuff.

Dont see whats the hubub with doom 3 seen vidoes for both games and HL2 runs better looks better and has less steep comp specs.

Played through the Doom3 alpha, while I definitely enjoy the dark atmosphere of the game the blood in one particular cutscene was a bit excessive, especially since it looks quite real. HL2 > Doom3 as of now

Gameplay wise, half-life 2 looks much better then doom 3 to me. So, doom 3 has some better graphics and much more dramatic shading, not much if you ask me. I wouldn't touch that game even if it had the best gameplay ever, though.

i havent had chance to download the hl2 video yet cos someone put it in silly res and its like 500mb. Still neither game is offering anything new to the genre. I remember the days when a game would change how people thought about gaming... (lemmings anyone?)... the addition of uberhard graphics and atmosphere is not gonna revolutionise how we play.

Still i think doom3 has it on sheer pwnz0r but if it doesnt grind a multiplayer option in it wont be able to compete with HL2. It will be all the elitist q3 factions going to d3 and the general hl riff-raff going to hl2. Which includes us CS n00bs..lol

HL2!!!!

Yes, Doom looks GREAT!!!! The shading is phenomenal. But I gotta say, HL2 looks better all around. And FINALLY!!!! A game with fantastic outside graphics. I mean, it literally looks like you are going through a city. Did you see the G-Man facial expressions? Wow!

The ragdoll physics on both games are pretty nice.

Rizz, maybe there isn't anything TOO new, but, besides the graphics, they are opening up a new way to think about your environment. Everything moves. Everything now has a purpose. Each item is a separate object you can actually use. Did you see how you can even pick up that radiator?

I don't know why, exactly, maybe I just played the game too late or something. Although Half-Life had some cool stuff as far as storyline and gameplay, there wasn't much that really grabbed me to become a big fan of it. That, and I never really found the ending to the game (I got to the part where you fight off monsters and teleport out to a different weird place floating in space somewhere, at which point I could do...absolutely nothing. Anyone know differently, or is this really all there is?).

I'm very excited to see the technology they're pouring into Doom 3, and see what they'll have done with the gameplay after all these years. Q3A is still by favorite deathmatching game by far, let's see if they can get back into the groove of a mission-based set.

I think the next step on game design is what u said about level interaction. As we peak in the area of graphical slickness i think the pioneering games will be the ones that allow you to imitate real life more.

For example.. in RL you can do what you want, you can interact with everything.. of course you cant pick up a wall or eat a chair. well you could try. A game to push the boundaries of player/object interaction would certainly be the new level of gaming.

Of course how do you maintain that level of realism and retain the FPS genre. Instead of sinking into an rpg or mmorpg. Personally i think the big games that will come out of E3 this year and in the near future are the ones that are "crossovers". Ones that impliment the main aspect of one genre with certain player characteristics of another.

A game that would rock would be a mmorpg where you were in a "hitman 2" style scenarion and the game played as a fps. But you had to go around and buy all the stuff you needed, interact with other online players and trade deals. set other people up with missions when u get the money. Call out hits on other online players...lol.

Now /that/ would be a game i would pay good money for.

lol Slam youy are far from done. You have to use the long jump to reach the other platforms and get into the big asteroid thing at the bottom. Gravity is low so you can fall farther without making a crater. Just wait till you get to the final boss...
cool.gif

I can't wait to see the g-man in hl2. He looked cool in the screens. Whacking him with the crowbar was something I desperatly wanted to do in the first game and never got the chance ("I've taken the liberty of relieving you of your weapons..." -_-).

Did anyone see that plinko game demonstration on half life 2? That was some amazing physics engine, and then picking up the body with the gun and swining it around.

Personaly im looking forward to Dues Ex 2 about as much as Halflife 2 it is looking realy sweet with lots of stealth portions and enemys who react more realisticly, I saw a video where you had a real time shadow and an enemy found you around a corner cause of your shadow. Only downfall is no online play but no big deal it is like an rpg gotta find lots of ways to finish the game.

i just saw the 20-or-so-minute video preview thing of hl2

wow.gif

i might just have to shell out the money for that one...

SLAM - I thought for SURE you would be a Half-Lifer. Oh well. What did it for me was the gameplay and the atmosphere. You really feel like you are there. So often you knew a creature was around because you could hear its defining sound. And I thought the Marines were great too. If you are at the part with the floating platforms, you aren't done yet.

Rizz - I haven't played Hitman, but I hear what you're saying and totally agree. That would be WOW!

Exo-Slayer - I know. The physics in the game are incredible. They have done all sorts of things based on type of material. If it's metal, it reacts differently from wood, which acts differently than paper and so on.

TastyWheat - I wonder if that's the one I just saw. I think it's from GameSpy. I've also seen the ones from Gamespot, which are essentially the same thing, but lower quality video and broken up into separate files.

Maybe I should install Halflife and play it again...last time I played it was on my 850 MHz craptop. I'm thinking my current system will negotiate it a little better ;-).

It took me 3 video cards and 2 computers to get through Half-Life.
mad.gif

I started on a PII 300 8MB ATI and got up to the Beak creatures. My FPS was so bad I couldn't continue. I upgraded to the first version of the Radeon and got up to the moving platforms. The FPS was about 6 and made it impossible to complete the jumps necessary.

Finally upgraded to a new computer last year and was able to complete the game. I finished Opposing Force before Christmas and Blue Shift at the beginning of this year.

I'm sure it would, if your P3 500 MHz has a decent video card. My laptop had an 8MB Generic Crapware chipset. Supported something that looked like Direct3D and smelled like Direct3D, but didn't quite perform as Direct3D should...so, it was software rendering for me.

Nah it worked Great I mean 30+ fps at 1024 res with a p3 500mhz 96mb ram and a 8mb stock card. Then I upgraded to a radeon 7500 and 256 ram to hold me over till i can get a new comp and i get 60-80 fps.

hah! I beat half life on difficult in 2. I started late the first night and finished it the next. And my computer is more evil then any compaq could ever be.

Back