Does a certain type of music affect your driving?

MeridianFlight

I read an article that espoused safe driving methods a while back. One of the suggestions was not to listen to your music loudly, and to not listen to aggressive music. I thought was hilarious, and ignored it.

Then the other day I noticed something. I was listening to Disciple, and I would skip over their "ballad songs" for the songs that were slightly less restrained. When "Into Black" or "Shine Down" came on, I took corners (I live on the Oregon Coast, Highway 101 has quite a few twists and turns)...assertively, you could say.

This didn't happen when I was listening to more relaxed songs. I drove in a more conservative manner. So, I believe the idea that music affects your driving could actually be true.

So from here on out I suppose it's DCB, Jars of Clay, and other bands that may not exactly inspire you to break something. Come on, how can you tear up the road to "The Valley Song"?

Anybody else notice this, or do you believe it's communist propaganda?

Lets see, Demon Hunter = 80+ mph on I4. Jars of Clay = 70mph (speedlimit) mph on I4. This does not take into account how late I am running.

:p

Abdi.

I mostly listen to metal, hardcore, industrial, etc. I have since I was a kid. Anyway, it's always on in my cd player and I never drive carelessly. I always keep it at 60mph (mainly to achieve highest MPG--im cheap) and wear my seatbelt at all times. Actually, I drive like a real old lady...slow and cautiously. Therefor I would put this article in with the 'rock and roll = devil' bunch.

I drive like a crazy person when listening to Josh Groban. It doesn't matter who I'm listening to, I don't think the music effects my driving.
But when I listen to hip hop I rev my engine to the beat at the lights.

I keep some lighter drum and bass in my car, which keeps me attentive but doesn't make me drive like an absolute maniac the way Dieselboy and DJ Fresh do.

Hmmm, well, can't say we've listened to very hard stuff while driving. Either Ashley McIsaac, Yes, and on occasion, The Corrs. So, logically, I wou;dn't know. :p

doesnt make a diff for me, its either talk radio or christian radio

Gandhi said:
I drive like a crazy person when listening to Josh Groban. It doesn't matter who I'm listening to, I don't think the music effects my driving.
But when I listen to hip hop I rev my engine to the beat at the lights.

HAHAHA! :D That's the funny! Awesome!

Anything upbeat/rockish = mucho over the speed limit

Anything worship/lighter rock/other = speed limit or just above :)

I fell asleep driving once, listening to talk radio. It was more due to sleep deprevation than music, but had I been listening to my normal heavy music I don't think I would have. This took place when I was 16, now I've learned my lesson and take better care of my body.

Back