Deuteronomy Question

Not sure, I've never read the whole thing. Name off a few reasons why it should/shouldn't exist and maybe we can start from there. Just a suggestion to get things moving. :)

Well, I can't say that it shouldn't exist. God evidently wanted it included in the Bible. It seems to repeat everything that was covered in the first four Books.

I have been listening to a Bible in a Year podcast, which has been awesome, but the book of Deuteronomy does not make much sense right now. It is very repetitive.

Gen

I'm struggling with this on a lot of things.

The bible seems to have two intended audiences. All the books we consider to be "the word" were written to or for a specific group of people. i.e. Israel, or the local churches of various regions.

I want to study a bit on the history of scripture. Who wrote it, when they wrote it, why they wrote it, and more importantly... who picked what books we consider to be accurate, and worthy.

My Christian training as a child left a little to be desired in the realm of explenations outside of "because I said so." And now that I'm becoming a bit more of an intellectual than some of my family (I know this sounds like boasting... but you must consider my family before you make that judgement) I wonder what may have been left out... or added... per the flawed judgement of men in power.

Heh. I remember when this phase of my life started, I asked my youth minister why we beleive the bible to be the divine word of God rather than a collection of Christian writiings. His long answer was silenced with my paraphrase "You're telling me to beleive the bible... because the bible tells me to."

In Deuteronomy the people were being prepared to go into the land. Remember in Exodus they are freed by God's mighty hand from the yoke of slavery to the Egyptians. The are led by God to Mt. Sinai where thy received the Law the first time, but then as they near the Promised Land they are shown to be faithless and refuse to go in and possess what God has promised to give them. Because of this they wander in the desert for 40 years, and during that time every male who was 18 or older at the time of the Exodus dies with the exception of Joshua and the other faithful spy.

Now we are at the end of that 40 years, and preparing to go in with the new generation to take the Promised Land, and one more time the Covenental relationship between God and them is being given and laid out, so again we have a reciting/expounding of the Law given to them.

Also of great importance in this book is the passing of leadership from Moses to Joshua as Moses will not enter the promised land until the life of Christ (remember the mount of transfiguration).

Hope that helps some, if you want me to expound or have more specific questions, feel free to ask away.

That does help. I heard something about this book recently pretty much saying the same thing. It covered the fact that those who were entering the Promised Land did not know of the hardships of slavery in Egypt. So, by recalling what had occured it would force the Israelites to remember their history.

Thank you

Gen

Back