December 2003 Newsletter

Tek7 (Legacy)

CGA & ToJ President
This newsletter was originally posted via Yahoo! Groups to all Tribe of Judah members.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Greetings! You are receiving this e-mail because you are listed as a member of Tribe of Judah and subscribed to the toj-general Yahoo Group. For any questions regarding subscription or membership inquires, please e-mail our membership administrator, Rizz, at membership@toj.cc

The holiday season is upon us and many of our members are preparing for finals and the wonderful winter break that follows. There's definitely a decrease in gaming activity around this time of year, but I wanted to share a few important memos with our members to ensure that you're ready to return to the action as soon as that last final is turned in. Since this is one of our first newsletters since changing toj-general over from a discussion group, I need to catch everyone up on the most important details.

THE NEW STANDARD CLAN TAG

This will be old news for most of you, but I want to make sure that everyone knows about our new clan tag: [toj.cc]

We ask that you use this tag whenever you play online games in public servers so other Tribe of Judah members can find you and join in. This tag applies to all chapters except Warcraft III; Battle.net has a built-in clan system for clans in WC3 and thus eliminates the need for clan tags on those accounts. In most cases, the clan tag will be used as a prefix, but in the case of new Starcraft accounts, members will need to add the tag at the end of their handle: Player[toj.cc] instead of the usual [toj.cc]Player.

As of this post, there is no official color code for the clan tag among our Quake 3 chapter members. Though there is no Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory chapter yet, the same goes for our members who play Wolf: ET and wish to find each other in-game.

NEW MEMBERS INFORMATION ARTICLE

Are you new to Tribe of Judah? Been a member for a while and wondering how to get involved? Just want to make sure you're in the know? Then be sure to check out our New Members Information Article, written by QuePasa and Tek7 (that's me!) and available at http://www.toj.cc/resources/nmia.cfm  Even if you've been a member since the olden days, be sure to give it a glance.

FORUMS

For those of you who haven't been out to the forums yet, you're missing out on the heart and soul of the Tribe of Judah community! Our forums are hosted by the Christian Gamers Alliance and available at http://www.cgalliance.org/cgi-bin/forum/ikonboard.cgi?act=SC;c=14  Come out and post today!

MENTORSHIP PROGRAM

While Tribe of Judah members get together to play games, we also share our lives with one another and do our best to help each other with advice, friendship, and fellowship. It is our common faith first and our love of games second that bring us together. All of us, at one point or another, need to turn to other Christians for wisdom or advice. For that purpose, the Christian Gamers Alliance has established a mentorship program, led by our very own Rizz! For more information or to sign up to be mentored or mentor others, send an e-mail to mentors@cgalliance.org with your request.

ONLINE STORE

Looking for a trinket to give your sweetheart for Christmas this year? Then might we suggest the official Tribe of Judah teddy bear, available at our online store: http://www.cafeshops.com/toj

Also available are t-shirts, golf shirts, sweatshirts, and boxers--something for everyone! And remember: every time you purchase something from the Tribe of Judah online store, a portion of the sale goes towards our web hosting and domain costs.

REAL-TIME CHRISTIAN HALF-LIFE SERVER LISTING

While many of you already know about the Tribe of Judah Counter-Strike server, you might not know about the other servers hosted by Christian clans and servers. The real-time Christian Half-Life server listing, hosted by the Christian Gamers Alliance, gives live server statistics for more than fifteen Christian-owned and operated Half-Life servers. These include Counter-Strike, Day of Defeat, and Natural Selection. Be sure to check out and bookmark the listing today - http://www.cgalliance.org/modules.php?name=FatalQuery

OFFICIAL TRIBE OF JUDAH STEAM ACCOUNT LISTING

Since the arrival of Steam, users have faced countless bugs, errors, and hassles--but this section isn't about that. It's about a positive feature of Steam: being able to chat with and find your fellow Tribe of Judah members while in a game. Be sure to stop by the official ToJ Steam account listing at http://www.cgalliance.org/cgi-bin/forum/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=53;t=15 today and start bulking up your friends list. Don't forget to make a short post with your own handle and the e-mail address you used to create your Steam account so your fellow ToJers can find and join you for games.

COUNTER-STRIKE SERVER BACK ONLINE

After the release of Counter-Strike 1.6, we decided to password-protect the Tribe of Judah: Counter-Strike server because Admin Mod was not yet compatible with Steam and, as such, we could not properly moderate the server. Admin Mod is now install on our CS server, several admins have been appointed, and our server is again open to the public.

The server IP is 66.150.49.11:27015. You can also connect to the server using the tojcs.game-server.cc alias--it's easier to remember and easier to send to friends!

OFFICIAL TRIBE OF JUDAH HALF-LIFE COLOR SPRAY

Do you ever go into a Half-Life server wishing you had a snazzy color spray? Have you ever been playing Counter-Strike and thought, "It would be so nice if someone would make an official Half-Life color spray for me to use"? Well, okay, probably not. But if you are looking to show off your true Tribe of Judah colors, stop by our Half-Life chapter files page - http://www.toj.cc/files/index.cfm?intFolderID=5 - and pick up the official Tribe of Judah Half-Life color spray. Follow the simple instructions in the file's description and you'll be the talk of the town in no time (well, maybe, no guarantees)!

NEW HOME BATTLE.NET CHANNEL

Attention Starcraft and Warcraft III players! The official Tribe of Judah home channel on Battle.net has moved from "public chat christians" to "op cga" on US East. This channel is moderated by an UltimateBot I run from my second home PC, which means that we're now able to kick any visitors who might harass others. The bot has several other great features; you can learn more about UltimateBot at http://www.ultimatebot.com

If you would like moderator rights on this channel, please e-mail me at tek7@toj.cc for more information.

SPONSOR INFORMATION PACKAGE PROJECT

Anyone who's priced web hosting or server rentals knows just how expensive it can be to run a gaming fellowship such as Tribe of Judah. For this reason, we have accepted donations since moving to our current web host last year. We still ask members to consider donating to help ease the financial burden on those who hold the web hosting and server rental accounts (more information is available at http://www.toj.cc/resources/support.cfm ) but donations have been few and far between. Instead of depending on donations from members, I would prefer to approach churches, ministries, Christian business, and secular businesses for sponsorship. I have already outlined a Sponsor Information Package addressed to churches and ministries, but now need a dedicated staff to compile the package. When compiled, we would ship the package out to potential sponsors and go from there.

What would sponsorship mean for Tribe of Judah? The most important result would be more game servers for Tribe of Judah. This would mean more members and also open up the possibility of forming competitive teams for games other than Counter-Strike. Most importantly, it would mean giving Christian gamers more places to play their favorite games free from the profanity, lewdness, and bad attitudes that plague most public servers. It would also mean more opportunities to witness to non-Christians by showing them how our salvation and discipleship has affected us.

I am currently swamped with other projects and, as such, will not be able to dedicate the time necessary to lead such a project. I am looking for Tribe of Judah members to put together this Sponsor Information Package and seek out potential sponsors to whom we could send a complete package. If you would like to help Tribe of Judah in this way, please e-mail me at tek7@toj.cc  Even if you don't have any spare funds to donate to ToJ, you can dedicate your time, skills, and efforts toward helping us grow.

CONCLUSION

Thank you all for your time and may God bless you richly this holiday season! If you have any questions regarding anything in this letter, please feel free to drop by our forums and ask.

-Tek

It was sent via the toj-general Yahoo! Group. All ToJ members should be subscribed...*scratches head quizzically*

Back