[DEAL] Linksys WRT54GL router on sale for $50 at Newegg

Tek7

CGA President, Tribe of Judah Founder & President
Staff member
While troubleshooting some annoying latency issues last night, I discovered that Newegg is selling the Linksys WRT54GL router for $49.99 until Jan. 31. The latency issues turned out to be the fault of the ISP (no surprise there), but I thought I'd share this tidbit with anyone looking for a new but inexpensive router.

I use the WRT54GL with DD-WRT firmware and run a second SSID for my DS. I'd recommend it to anyone with technical know-how looking for a solid router.

I can't do anything less than "N". Really hard to stream 1080p from a NAS on 802.11g

While troubleshooting some annoying latency issues last night, I discovered that Newegg is selling the Linksys WRT54GL router for $49.99 until Jan. 31. The latency issues turned out to be the fault of the ISP (no surprise there), but I thought I'd share this tidbit with anyone looking for a new but inexpensive router.

I use the WRT54GL with DD-WRT firmware and run a second SSID for my DS. I'd recommend it to anyone with technical know-how looking for a solid router.

I have had this router for a long time, and love it...tried to set up DD-WRT on it, and kinda was a pain, so I didn't do it... :p

I can't do anything less than "N". Really hard to stream 1080p from a NAS on 802.11g
Well, yes, but not all of us can afford new media center PCs, top hats, and monocles. :p

lol monocle. I can't either. the dns-323 is the poor man's NAS.

Sooo trippy I just bought one of those today. $40 rebate ftw.

I have to say the time of the 54g is long gone. There are better N routers for much cheaper that run dd-wrt.

@Xion to have a 54gl and not have dd-wrt/tomato on it is kinda embarrassing, I would not mention that in public again. =P

Last edited:
Sooo trippy I just bought one of those today. $40 rebate ftw.

I have to say the time of the 54g is long gone. There are better N routers for much cheaper that run dd-wrt.
/shrug

Works well enough for me and I'm able to run multiple SSIDs without issue. I haven't needed a new router so I haven't researched routers for a while. It wouldn't surprise me if there are better routers out there for the price, but I thought I'd post the deal regardless. Whether it's old or not, the WRT54GL is more than sufficient for most home networks.

Oh I don't mean to be a downer Tek, in fact I am typing on a PC connected to a 54gl with tomato right now. They last so dang long I have no motivation to replace it.

I was just thinking out loud that its reign has sunset. I would never buy one for clients anymore. There are faster and cheaper and the demands moving forward will use up that extra bandwidth easy. besides the fact they are UGLY by today's design.

For example this router constantly bounces between $23 and $33 (no ship/no tax <3 amazon) and is rock solid once you get dd-wrt on it. I have probably sold 30 of them now and everyone is just wonderful. Had some running over a year without needing a reboot!

Last edited:
...For example this router constantly bounces between $23 and $33 (no ship/no tax <3 amazon) and is rock solid once you get dd-wrt on it. I have probably sold 30 of them now and everyone is just wonderful. Had some running over a year without needing a reboot!

I had one of those! Loved it... ran DD-WRT on it as well... until lightning struck our cable line and fried it, the modem, a TV and the ethernet port on my computer.

Now I have an E1000. It's just as good!

Lol I have been using the same Buffalo Air Station, wireless G gaming router for over 3 years now, and the only time it gets rebooted is when there is a power outage. I can't even find the manual it has been so long since it has been set up. I'm with Tek if it ain't broke don't fix it, not all of us can easily replace equipment.

Back