Cremation vs. Burial

Since God allows the elect to die in fires I am thinking that it makes no difference to Him. He created it from dust once He can put it back together from dust at His return.

I totally agree.

Someone was pointing out to me the countless verses in the Bible talking about burial today. Thought it was interesting that Abraham had specific instructions about where he was to be buried and where his bones were laid.

The thing about cremation though is that due to the burning process, your ashes could include those of others, mostly the bone and such. But graves could equal zombies in an alternate dimension, so I would rather not die in this present lifetime. As for someone carrying around my dead presence, well, I personally find it creepy.

/knows a thing or two about ashes

The thing about cremation though is that due to the burning process, your ashes could include those of others, mostly the bone and such.

You got Keero in my Gerbil! You got Gerbil in my Keero! Hmmm I don't think those taste good together either.

As for someone carrying around my dead presence, well, I personally find it creepy.

If by dead presence you mean ashes I think it would be creepy becuase of the possibility of getting some of Keero spilled on me ewwww.

As for me I think I'll opt for taxidermy and mail myself to Keero. I will always be looking at him with cold unrelenting gerbil eyes and I can creep him out FOREVER Mwhahaha! Yes Keero I will be your doorstop/paperweight of DOOOOOOooooom!

<serious>Dead is dead it doesn't matter where your body goes only your spirit. </serious>

Last edited:
Thought it was interesting that Abraham had specific instructions about where he was to be buried and where his bones were laid.

Some of the burial information is important due to Israel's right to the land. Abraham buying Sarah's burial plot in Israel etc.

Last edited:
well it probably has significance to us, and maybe to God, if under exceptional circumstances...
You wouldn't want to be buried in a rubbish dump right?

Perhaps, but I don't think that burial in the local dump (or in the footers of Giant's Stadium) effect your eternal destination one bit.

Outside of burial and the right to land as in the case of Abraham, there is nothing in the bible about must be buried or Jesus can't raise you. Although, I wonder what is meant by getting a new body and a new name and how that might apply to the discussion?

Burial verse cremation is not a biblical issues as much as a historical one.

Jews believed you kept your body. They did not have a view of the soul that we currently have, which coincidently comes from the Greeks.

In the middle ages, heretics were burned and their bodies destroyed to keep them from becoming relics, hence, the burning a the stake and all that stuff.

Personally, I want a Viking funeral. I don't personally believe it is an issue.

The EPA would clamp down on that one. Can't do anything fun anymore... even in death!

Well now this is interesting, if there is no body left to raise. In my place cremation is by law and no one has any issue against that (except the muslims who are buried in mass cemeteries).

Come to think of it...

The act of cremation emits CO2 and other deadly gases into the atmosphere, I'm sure Al Gore would agree that for every person that is cremated, the ocean level rises 1 inch.

Burials risk ground contamination which affects vegetation which would otherwise absorb the CO2 from cremations causing Polar Bears to swim an extra inch to find food for every burial. I can't imagine how Al Gore would disagree with me on that.

And living, well, Al Gore would just rather us all die...no, wait...uhm...maybe its Al Gore who is the problem?

Interesting we have been studying Isaiah (recently in chapter 14) we see the disgrace of not being buried to the king of Babylon. I am finding more and more verses about burial (funny how we don't see things until we look).

Jacob (and Joseph) had specific instructions for their bones to be put in the promised land. It was not only important to be buried, but to be buried in a specific place.

Again, I don't think this is a salvific topic, but it is interesting.

Interesting we have been studying Isaiah (recently in chapter 14) we see the disgrace of not being buried to the king of Babylon. I am finding more and more verses about burial (funny how we don't see things until we look).

Jacob (and Joseph) had specific instructions for their bones to be put in the promised land. It was not only important to be buried, but to be buried in a specific place.

Again, I don't think this is a salvific topic, but it is interesting.

Since the Bible is silent on the issue as to why they desired to be buried.

One could ask were they following the customs of the people groups around them or Hebrew traditions?

My guess is they were following the thoughts of the day. Dead people stink, so we bury them so they don't stink.

Back